PDA

View Full Version : Military Weapons

VeryFairy
06-19-2014, 08:52 PM
My current work is a fantasy based in Iceland in 1833.

It involves a group of soldiers (Currently from unknown location) at the beginning, though the book does not revolve around them. Only 3 actually stick around, and they quickly end up loosing their weapons.

My question is, what weapons would they have in 1833? Swords, bayonets, or guns?
I don't write about guns at all in the book, and wonder if that is odd. Even if they have them they won't use them, but should I mention they are there?

I have them currently using bayonets, but I realize now that sounds odd. Should I go with swords?

Sorry if this is the wrong spot for this

Duncan J Macdonald
06-19-2014, 09:38 PM

It involves a group of soldiers (Currently from unknown location) at the beginning, though the book does not revolve around them. Only 3 actually stick around, and they quickly end up loosing their weapons.

My question is, what weapons would they have in 1833? Swords, bayonets, or guns?
I don't write about guns at all in the book, and wonder if that is odd. Even if they have them they won't use them, but should I mention they are there?

I have them currently using bayonets, but I realize now that sounds odd. Should I go with swords?

This link (http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey_uwa.pdf) gives some basic information on the standard equipment of the U.S. Army that covers the time period you are interested in.

Typically, your infantry troopers would have flint-lock muskets and a bayonet. Officers would be armed with swords (saber).

If the troops were dragoons, they would be armed with sabers and pistols only, no muskets (but still flint-locks).

Hope this helps or points the way.

King Neptune
06-19-2014, 10:34 PM

Thy probably would have had muskets with bayonets and swords. That was a transitional period.

VeryFairy
06-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Thank you guys so much :)
Duncan thanks for the link.