Editor Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey. So while in the midst of my internal battle/research into the pros and cons of self and trade publishing, this is an important point.

One thing I'm sure of at this point is that should I decide to go with self publishing in the end, it'd do me no good to put the book out without having a professional editor gnaw it through.

There's a lot of information in Google and various blogs, but I've no way of verifying it and general the opinion seems to be: follow the word of mouth.

So here I am, looking for some.

Can any of you recommend a good editor? What is the reasonable price range?

I've found one I've kept tabbed for a while (must've been a result of some research I don't remember anymore), so I'd like to ask if anyone could tell me if she'd be a good option? http://www.annagenoese.com/

Thank you.

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Sorry, I've been around here for a while and it's still easy to miss/fail to find something you need at the moment :eek:

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
According to LinkedIn, she was an editor at TOR for over six years. Do you write paranormal romance? If so, she would probably be your best bet. You probably couldn't do much better than someone who's been an actual editor for an actual publishing company. Might be a little pricey, but how good do you want your book to be?

Calliea

Hush, hush...
Registered
Reaction score
I'll have to figure something out. I've browsed a lot, and no editor seems cheap, they oscillate in the similar price range. Well, I'm sure you COULD find a cheap one, but I'd rather look for a way to get more money and spend it well, than to spend a half of it for nothing.

It's like buying furniture. Get a good chair, pay more, enjoy it for years or buy a crap one, sit down and hurt your bum when it breaks under you (true story, damn the tailbone lol).

If I wanted to go the cheap way, I'd simply settle for my own corrections and nitpicks my friend gives me (as I do for him).

It seems that in self-publishing you get about 1 chance. If a book has typos/grammar errors, it's about as good as done, seeing how many people already expect a crappucino quality when they open a self-pub.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I used Anna and she was EXCELLENT. Very nice to work with, too -- I found her a lovely person, easy to talk to, and her editing style jived wonderfully with my writing style! I will definitely be going back to her for the following books in my series.

I gush about her a bit here if you want to see more. She offers a free sample edit so you can see if you're a good match. :) (I was going to say you can look inside my book on Amazon, too, but I guess that doesn't tell you much without seeing the before & after!)

I corresponded with a few other editors from the AW FAQ list as well as Rose Fox before choosing Anna as the best match for me, and all of them were solid, professional people. I felt I would have been in good hands with any of them.

Last edited:

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I almost went without getting it done, but realized that my grammar is far from flawless, and that I had to do it right. I am still waiting on the finished product.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
The key is finding an editor with professional experience with the kind of book YOU have written. Also, it helps if you are familiar with what the editorial process is like at publishing houses. For example, you'd be best served by more than one editor.

Something that should help (or rather, might help) reduce costs is if you create and maintain a style sheet. This is especially useful if you're using more than on editor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.