PDA

View Full Version : Actual hands on book promotion

scifi_boy2002
06-19-2014, 05:41 PM
A little funny true story for your enjoyment. When my first book came out my wife and I went in Joseph and Beth books in Lexington, Ky just to see if my book was in the store. I was happy to find they had a couple copies of it. The problem, though, was that they had placed the book with the spine facing out, you couldn't see the cover. All the other books surrounding mine had the covers facing out. Were they ashamed of my book? So, I just started to rearrange them so you could see the cover. My wife said that I couldn't do that and I replied that yes I could. And do you know that both copies sold soon after that and the store ordered three more. They sold as well.

Yes, hands on promotion helps.

Perks
06-19-2014, 06:02 PM
Cover-out placement is generally a paid-for commodity. So there was probably no issue with the store being ashamed of any particular book.

Not that many of us (or friends and family) haven't faced-out our books when no one was looking, but your wife is right. We're not supposed to do that if our publisher hasn't paid for face-out placement.

ETA - amended two posts down. I may have been misinformed.

scifi_boy2002
06-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Cover-out placement is generally a paid-for commodity. So there was probably no issue with the store being ashamed of any particular book.

Not that many of us (or friends and family) haven't faced-out our books when no one was looking, but your wife is right. We're not supposed to do that if our publisher hasn't paid for face-out placement.

Well, I meant the part about store being ashamed of my book as a joke. But I've never heard of the cover-out placement. What is that exactly? This was 10 years ago. To me, it looked as if it was just a case of my books being placed that way for space reasons. I guess that is the reason for "cover-out" books. But there were many books that way and many of them big publishing house books. That was the only bookstore that I did that at.

I was just happy that my book was on the shelves of many bookstores. It took a lot of phone calls to do that, but it worked.

Perks
06-19-2014, 07:21 PM
Actually, it looks like I may have been misinformed. I know that end caps and table and register positioning are paid-for promotions, but according to this Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/booked/2010/07/13/shelf-wars-what-authors-need-to-know-about-bookstore-visibility/) in 2010,

What authors wouldn’t rather have their books turned face-out, with the covers visible to bookstore browsers? That placement decision, it turns out, is up to the store staffer who shelves the books. It’s usually a factor of how many copies are on the shelf; if there are more than a few, there’s a better chance the stack will be turned face-out. An eye-catching book jacket helps too.

Hmmm. Now I wonder about what I was told.

scifi_boy2002
06-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Actually, it looks like I may have been misinformed. I know that end caps and table and register positioning are paid-for promotions, but according to this Forbes article (http://www.forbes.com/sites/booked/2010/07/13/shelf-wars-what-authors-need-to-know-about-bookstore-visibility/) in 2010,

Hmmm. Now I wonder about what I was told.

I've never heard of it and I've been doing this for a while now. But, either way, I now feel like a rogue.

Perks
06-19-2014, 07:42 PM
I know! Now maybe I don't have to feel guilty for the couple of times I've done it.

Now let me tell you about the time my sister changed the display on every single device in a Best Buy to show my website. She called me so proud of her great idea. I very nearly died. It went something like this -

Me: You did what?

Her: (with glee) Every tablet. Every desktop. Every laptop. Everything!

Me: Please tell me you didn't.

Her: Why?

Me: It makes me look like a maniac.

Her: Why would anyone automatically think you did it?

Me: Please don't help me anymore.

Ha!

scifi_boy2002
06-19-2014, 07:46 PM
I know! Now maybe I don't have to feel guilty for the couple of times I've done it.

Now let me tell you about the time my sister changed the display on every single device in a Best Buy to show my website. She called me so proud of her great idea. I very nearly died. It went something like this -

Me: You did what?

Her: (with glee) Every tablet. Every desktop. Every laptop. Everything!

Me: Please tell me you didn't.

Her: Why?

Me: It makes me look like a maniac.

Her: Why would anyone automatically think you did it?

Me: Please don't help me anymore.

Ha!

I like it!