PDA

View Full Version : Paddys day, what you do, let me know.

Godfather
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
from what i've seen patricks day is taken more seriouslly in other countries than in ireland.

tell me, what happens on paddys day in your parts?
out of interest.

Dawno
03-17-2006, 01:05 AM
some of this

:partyguy:

some of this

:e2dance:

and a lot of this:e2drunk:

Jaycinth
03-17-2006, 01:06 AM
well around here the police write so many tickets that the rain forest loses another acre. . . . .

Haggis
03-17-2006, 01:08 AM
I grieve for the passing of St. Urho's Day.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif

Godfather
03-17-2006, 01:09 AM
i mean over here its just an excuse to drink.

this year there banning people drinking on the streets, and there closing off licences on the day.

its ridiculous, our second in command has gone to saudi arabia tonight for a paddys day ball.
in my county, this year, instead of calling the celebrations patricks day, there calling springfest.

what the f*ck?

Shadow_Ferret
03-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Can't even let me have my day, can you? Had to start a St. Paddy's Day thread a day early, didn't you?

Well, here, I think the bars never close, the streets flow green with beer, and the women all don green teddies and dance in the moonlight.

Unique
03-17-2006, 01:45 AM
in my county, this year, instead of calling the celebrations patricks day, there calling springfest.

what the f*ck?

Oh? Have a case of the politically correct BS over there, too?
We're so sorry.
I hope you didn't catch it from us (US)
CHEERS, anyway.

Unique
03-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Can't even let me have my day, can you? Had to start a St. Paddy's Day thread a day early, didn't you?

Well, here, I think the bars never close, the streets flow green with beer, and the women all don green teddies and dance in the moonlight.

Not always. I paint myself green and howl at the moon. There IS a difference.
(Sorry. I don't look good in purple, but emerald green makes me shine. See?:D)

Jaycinth
03-17-2006, 01:49 AM
i mean over here its just an excuse to drink..........
our second in command has gone to saudi arabia tonight for a paddys day ball.

what the f*ck?

uh, the biggest drinking day of the year and he goes to Saudi Arabia????

For a St. Pat Day Party?????
SAUDI ARABIA for a DRINKING PARTY?!?!?:Wha:

Ok. Ok. I give up! So tomorrow I'm going to put green creame cheese between my toes and dance the hula BEFORE I start in on the warm Guiness. . .

rich
03-17-2006, 01:50 AM
some ten years ago I marched in the New York St. Pat's parade. Our particular org. was the NY Transit's Emerald Society. We were so at the end of the parade that half the bystanders were already in the hangover stage. There was this one woman in the crowd, in her early 70's, who probably cheered as soon as she saw the Grand Marshall at the vanguard. By the time we went by she probably saw more Irish than a person should. And yet, when we were dragging our butts some distance passed St. Patrick's Cathedral she was there, fully animated--going nuts, her dyed flaming red hair blowing in the breeze, her wrinkled face saying what life is. 'Twas a nice day.

We do corned beef and cabbage on that particular day, and do a wee more than touch the spirits.

Maryn
03-17-2006, 01:56 AM
"...her wrinkled face saying what life is." Lovely.

aghast
03-17-2006, 02:00 AM
drink puke drink somemore

Stew21
03-17-2006, 02:01 AM
we watch parades, find taverns, and let the day take us where ever it leads....

Medievalist
03-17-2006, 02:36 AM
I take great delight in pointing out to people that Patrick wasn't Irish; he was British, and spoke a Brythonic Celtic langauge closely related to Welsh.

arrowqueen
03-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Och go on - ruin their whole day by pointing out that there were never any snakes in Ireland for him to chase out, either.

You know you want to.

;)

endless rewrite
03-17-2006, 03:37 AM
I tend to spend the day avoiding being abused for being a Brit by my pissed, 10 generations distant, never set foot in the place, never going to, had a pint of draught guinness once, about authentic Celt as my pet rabbit, freedom fighting 'Irish' Canadian father-in law.

PattiTheWicked
03-17-2006, 03:51 AM
I'm Scottish, so I don't bother with much of the "everyone's Irish today!" hoo-ha. On a whim, I bought myself a pair of cute shamrock socks at Old Navy -- mostly because I collect fun socks -- and my youngest daughter thought they were cool. She pointed to them and said, "I love your broccoli socks, mom!"

So much for trying to fit in.

poetinahat
03-17-2006, 03:52 AM
Stay in. It's Amateur Night. 'Course, being a retired drinker, there's not much in it for me anyway. Luckily, there are enough Irish expats out here that I get to hear that wonderful lilting accent on a regular basis.

Oh, yes, and call my son's godfather in the US. We've been friends since high school, and, like me, he's also a third/fourth-generation American of Irish extraction (and more literate and a better writer than I'd be in eight incarnations). Joke about how God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from conquering the world, and how tragically Irish it is to have everything going for you and f*ck it all up.

Partially true, and partially saying this to (gently) niggle the Celts who resent Americans claiming Irish heritage.

Maybe it's only an excuse to drink, but so what? Why be a killjoy? Have a ball, everyone!

Carole
03-17-2006, 04:12 AM
Hopefuly get down to the Old City and do the Pub Crawl. Pay for a wristband and you can hit all the best pubs down there and drink till you're completely stupid.

Carole
03-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Partially true, and partially saying this to (gently) niggle the Celts who resent Americans claiming Irish heritage.

~laughing~

Shwebb
03-17-2006, 05:39 AM
I will bat my pretty green eyes at the first person who tries to pinch me because I'm not wearing any green.

PrettySpecialGal
03-17-2006, 06:54 AM
Ah- Tomorrow is hubby's birthday. BIG Party- lots of food- lots of beer- lots of loud obnoxiousness- LOTS of FUN. (then, LOTS of clean-up) However, since we've moved recently, this group of friends don't seem to be as...er....outgoing as our friends in Houston, so, perhaps not so much obnoxiousness.

I'm a Scot- mostly- well, as Scot as an American can be- so I grew up shunning St. Patrick's day. How ironic that I marry an-as-Irish-as-an-American-can-be man born on St. Paddy's day. And have the big party or outing every year.

I'm just glad he's cooking tomorrow, and not me. :D

oh, and Shwebb- my hubby never wears green, either- he's got those green eyes, too. (so do the kiddos- I'm the only brown eyed susan in the bunch!)

WerenCole
03-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Go find a cute red hed with an accent. . .

(this does not exactly deviate from normal mode of operation, we just step up the search this time of year)

LightShadow
03-17-2006, 08:19 AM
Go to work, come home, have dinner, spend time with my wife. Was I supposed to do something special? Sorry, I'm Welsh.

Dawno
03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Ah- Tomorrow is hubby's birthday. BIG Party- lots of food- lots of beer- lots of loud obnoxiousness- LOTS of FUN. (then, LOTS of clean-up) However, since we've moved recently, this group of friends don't seem to be as...er....outgoing as our friends in Houston, so, perhaps not so much obnoxiousness.

I'm a Scot- mostly- well, as Scot as an American can be- so I grew up shunning St. Patrick's day. How ironic that I marry an-as-Irish-as-an-American-can-be man born on St. Paddy's day. And have the big party or outing every year.

I'm just glad he's cooking tomorrow, and not me. :D

oh, and Shwebb- my hubby never wears green, either- he's got those green eyes, too. (so do the kiddos- I'm the only brown eyed susan in the bunch!)

I am so jealous that your hubby has a St. Paddy's day birthday!! Special birthday wishes from O'Dawno!

Medievalist
03-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Go to work, come home, have dinner, spend time with my wife. Was I supposed to do something special? Sorry, I'm Welsh.

So is St. Patrick.

Lantern Jack
03-17-2006, 09:56 AM
We don't really celebrate St. Patrick's Day here, which is peculiar, since New York has a massive Irish population. We did down in Tennessee, where the pinching thing was popular in school. Up here, though, our big ethnic holiday is the one where all these Polish people get together and eat fat sausages, while the ladies go around flogging the fellows with reeds.

Godfather
03-17-2006, 12:53 PM
I take great delight in pointing out to people that Patrick wasn't Irish; he was British, and spoke a Brythonic Celtic langauge closely related to Welsh.

well yeah, he WAS born in britain, but hes the patron saint of ireland
(i know i know, our patron saint isnt from our country, but what can i say, we've always had a bit of a shortage of good people, so we borrowed from over the way)

anyway, he spread christianity over here, i imagine the snakes are a metaphor for evil (adam & eve story)

kinda lousy on him though, he gets his own holiday, and its celebrated all over the world, he soon finds the reason thats its celebrated anywhere is an excuse to drink.

where will i get MY alcohol from today i wonder???