PDA

View Full Version : Parisian Cafes

JacobS.Tucker
06-17-2014, 11:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I've been to Paris before for long extended periods of time and so I know what it's like to walk the streets, see it at night, in the morning, the sounds, the smells, and everything else. The only thing that escapes my knowledge is a small detail relating to Parisian cafes.

My question: Can you still get liquor in a Parisian cafe? Just knowing the way it used to be, can you still do that now? Just order a gin or brandy or something?

Thank you for your help!

waylander
06-18-2014, 01:55 AM
Could last time I was in Paris

flapperphilosopher
06-18-2014, 05:48 AM
I was there last month and you definitely could!

Chekurtab
06-18-2014, 06:36 AM
I suspect it depends on a cafe and more specifically - a place you sit in a cafe. If you sit by the bar or outside, then yes. As a matter of fact, street sitting is usually reserved for coffee, not dining. If it's a cold winter and the place has no bar, you only choice might be the floor. I'm not sure they will give you a dining table if you only order a drink, especially in the evening.

Dollywagon
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
I've never been to Paris (apart from drive round the ring road) but in France the Tabacs are the only places you can get tobacco, coffee and alcohol in one place. Other cafes ie not Tabacs, even in rural France, usually sell alcohol as well as being a cafe - one down the road from where I live now (It's also a little shop and post office).

I'm just going to add to this as I read the last bit of Chekurtab's post - go to my cafe on Saturday afternoon and it will be closed (they do open but I haven't figured out what time!) Go on Sunday morning at 9am and the bar generally doesn't have anyone sat there - but it does have empty glasses on the counter - well it does open at 8.30am!

arcan
06-18-2014, 09:41 AM
You certainly can get tobacco in tabacs, but not always coffee and alcohol. They have to be pubs at the same time.
All cafés have what we call a "licence IV" allowing them so sell strong alcohols. Only some restaurants have a "licence II" or III and aren't allowed.
Nothing's changed recently, and nothing's about to change about it. Don't worry, when you'll come back in Paris, years from now, you'll still be able to have a wisky at 6am ;)

Dollywagon
06-18-2014, 10:46 AM
I don't understand your first two sentences? You appear to be saying they don't always sell coffee and alcohol but then say they have to be pubs?

I don't think the OP mentioned restaurants.

JacobS.Tucker
06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks everyone for your posts!! I just wanted to make sure that what I was writing was still true. Appreciate it everyone :)

arcan
06-19-2014, 12:33 AM
I don't understand your first two sentences? You appear to be saying they don't always sell coffee and alcohol but then say they have to be pubs?

I don't think the OP mentioned restaurants.
Yes. A tabac is a shop that sells (among other things) cigarettes. A bar sells alcohol. Not all Tabacs are also bars. Those are two different and independent licences.

mirandashell
06-19-2014, 01:01 AM
I remember going to Paris for New Year a few years back. We had lots of cigarettes. Or so we thought. But you know what it's like when you're drinking and smoking.....
Anyway, New Years Day, 20 cigarettes between the two of us. We tried to ration them but they didn't last long.

So late afternoon in Paris, New Years Day, nothing open. Not a tabac, not a shop, nothing. I must have walked around for about 5, maybe 6 miles. Finally found a little grocery shop open, run by a North African guy. Now, I'm not expecting him to have cigarettes cos I know they have to have a licence but what the hey, worth asking.

So I asked. He looked through the window to check no-one was looking, then reached down under the till and opened a drawer. It was absolutely chock full of cigarette packs! I could have kissed him. I told him I loved him and he grinned at me.

I love Paris.

JacobS.Tucker
06-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I remember going to Paris for New Year a few years back. We had lots of cigarettes. Or so we thought. But you know what it's like when you're drinking and smoking.....
Anyway, New Years Day, 20 cigarettes between the two of us. We tried to ration them but they didn't last long.

So late afternoon in Paris, New Years Day, nothing open. Not a tabac, not a shop, nothing. I must have walked around for about 5, maybe 6 miles. Finally found a little grocery shop open, run by a North African guy. Now, I'm not expecting him to have cigarettes cos I know they have to have a licence but what the hey, worth asking.

So I asked. He looked through the window to check no-one was looking, then reached down under the till and opened a drawer. It was absolutely chock full of cigarette packs! I could have kissed him. I told him I loved him and he grinned at me.

I love Paris.

I love the fact that this story helped me and it was just a wonderful little tale. Thank you so very much for that, that was quite wonderful! Yes Paris is just filled with unexpected surprises and everyone is just one hell of a story waiting to be written.

I love Paris too.