PDA

View Full Version : Urban Tech

Starstryder
06-17-2014, 02:01 PM
Hello fellow SFF writers :)

I have a "quick" question in regards to genre/sub-genre. I know my novel isn't Urban Fantasy as there is no Fantasy component. It involves a current time altered by technology.

It is also not Cyberpunk if I go according to the definition. "a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology."

A society more like things are currently but involving implants of varying types. The cult of celebrity perpetuated via technology to be exact. It seems more along the lines of what I would say Urban Tech, but naturally googling it doesn't seem to find anything like it.

Now the question...can I then in good conscience market/pitch this novel as such? Or am I missing something (which is possible with my flu-ridden brain.)

Thanks all :)

waylander
06-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Sounds like good old near-future SF

Dave.C.Robinson
06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
Depending on the nature of the implants, it may even count as "Mundane SF."

robjvargas
06-17-2014, 04:28 PM
Cybernetic implants are a popular component of cyberpunk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk). That tends to be a rather dark subgenre, though. Not sure if that works for you.

Introversion
06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Now the question...can I then in good conscience market/pitch this novel as such?

In my opinion, you can pitch it as anything that persuades an agent to represent it. ;) What a publisher decides to market it as, is entirely up to them.

That said, I agree that calling it just "good ol' SF" sounds fine. No need to try to pigeonhole it into a sub-genre.

Starstryder
06-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Ah thank you everyone :) I was more than likely over-thinking things.

Liosse de Velishaf
06-17-2014, 09:16 PM
"post-cyberpunk" is a thing, as well.

rwm4768
06-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Just call it science fiction.

benbradley
06-17-2014, 09:53 PM
Is it in any way a "thriller?" If so, you could call it a technothriller. which may be more popular and more "acceptable" to a wider audience than "that sci-fi stuff."

And just to be clear, I'm a big fan of SF, but when it comes to writing and publishing, if I can couch a novel in terms for a more mainstream audience to get more book sales, then why not?

jjdebenedictis
06-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Don't pitch it as Urban Tech if that term doesn't exist yet. The labels you use when you pitch are there to help agents and editors figure out which shelf in the bookstore that novel should go on. If they don't know what Urban Tech is, all you've done is annoyed them.

If you're self-publishing, then marketing it as Urban Tech could work if you're savvy about how you do that. For example, you'd still want to attract science fiction fans before you start telling them you've created a new subgenre, but I think a lot of science fiction fans would be quite open to reading something labelled Urban Tech. It "positions" the book well in the reader's mind.

PeteMC
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
It is also not Cyberpunk if I go according to the definition. "a genre of science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology."

I prefer this definition, which may or may not fit you better:

"Transhumanism is about how technology will eventually help us overcome the problems that have, up until now, been endemic to human nature. Cyberpunk is about how technology won't."
Stephen Lea Sheppard of RPG.Net

bearilou
06-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Urbanpunk!

:D

Introversion
06-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Urbanpunk!

CyberFantasy?

JustSarah
06-18-2014, 09:52 PM
There is actually a lady in New Adult, that goes by the genre label Urban Science fiction. (I like it, though it sort of lacks specificity for my own writing purposes.)

Perhaps you could give that a shot?

Liosse de Velishaf
06-19-2014, 12:08 AM
Both "near-future science fiction" and post-cyberpunk (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PostCyberPunk) would fit this easily. No need to get cute with new terms.

bearilou
06-19-2014, 02:48 AM
No need to get cute with new terms.

You're no fun!

:tongue

Liosse de Velishaf
06-19-2014, 03:58 AM
You're no fun!

:tongue

Don't call a rabbit a smeerp! :Soapbox:

bearilou
06-19-2014, 05:37 AM
Don't call a rabbit a smeerp! :Soapbox:

KILLJOY!

Liosse de Velishaf
06-19-2014, 06:49 AM
KILLJOY!

:flamethrower

Latina Bunny
06-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Like everyone said, it sounds like Post-cyberpunk or near-future sci-fi. Don't get why people are trying to come up with new sub-genres, lol. Just call it sci-fi.

(I vaguely remember there's an epub that had a label for all futuristic sci-fi called "Futuristic" or something similar. Can't recall the name of it, but I know it was a mostly romance epub.)

Starstryder
06-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Thank you all for your input. :)

I am not trying to come up with a new sub-genre or cute terms. :) I just didn't find it slotting in perfectly with most labels. But I probably will pitch it as Urban Science Fiction, that seems to be the closest without getting complicated.

Liosse de Velishaf
06-19-2014, 12:33 PM
It's sometimes very hard to figure out what sub-genre a book most fits. I've had that problem many times. I was just making a joke to highlight the fact that there are two well-known sub-genres that your story could fit into.

Unless you're querying agents asking specifically for certain sub-genres, you can just call it "science fiction", and let marketing figure out whether to go with a particular sub-genre.

Starstryder
06-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Ah, no worries, I took it in the way it was written. :) Too flu ridden to take things seriously at the moment.

I wish I was in a country with spring/summer at the moment and not winter. Possibly this question wouldn't have gotten the best of me if I was healthy lol.