No, Really, I'm Not a Crazy Chicken Lady!

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
But have some pics of my chicken-nieces anyway. :LilLove:

RoseAndGirlsAboveC.png

Taken around Easter. Top Row: Zoey and Melodee. Bottom Row: Annie, Chick, and Silvie. Lap: my sister's.

Of course, they're bigger now and have noticeable combs and wattles. Except for Melodee, the Ameracauna; she has a small comb and you can't see her wattles for her fluffy cheeks.

CoupDeVille.png

The Coop de Ville before we fancied it up. Now it has more and longer tarps, a mister system, an umbrella (to support the mister), and a metal tub for a wading pool.

You'd think we had a dog, the way we're getting sappy about the chickens. We sweet-talk 'em, got 'em a ball, worry our heads off about 'em. I'm even starting to describe the girls with adjectives like pretty, beautiful, and gorgeous!

Sometimes I wonder if we're turning into crazy chicken people. Then I found a backyard chicken forum where someone said they went to the feed store and impulse-bought some more chicks. Made me feel a little more sane.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, it's our favorite Crazy Chicken Lady!

Everybody needs somebody to love. If chickens float your boat, get yourself a sea of them.

Maryn, who won't tell you what she does with chicken

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
If you're calling them your chicken nieces, they you are a crazy chicken lady.

But ain't nuthin' wrong with dat!!

What do you do with them, anyway? Food, fun, show?

Last edited:

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Everybody needs somebody to love. If chickens float your boat, get yourself a sea of them.
So true, though we'll settle for a kiddie pool of chickens. Don't want to become hoarders, ya know. ;)

Strange thing is, I'm not by nature a chicken person. But when I first heard and saw the girls their cheeping and fluffiness won my heart. :heart:

EarlyBird said:
If you're calling them your chicken nieces, they you are a crazy chicken lady.

But ain't nuthin' wrong with dat!!
Actually, the crazy came before the chickens. :D

What do you do with them, anyway? Food, fun, show?
They're going to be a combination of pets and egg-layers. My Dad got one for each of my nieces and nephews (hence why I call them my chicken nieces), so when they stop laying they get to live to a fat happy old age. We're keeping them on our property because one household isn't allowed to have pets and the other isn't allowed to have "livestock". That, and my parents took care of chickens when they were kids. (I suspect Dad got the kid chickens so he would have an excuse to keep chickens.)

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, they are cute.

Bylaws where I am allow backyard chickens and I can't say I haven't been tempted...

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
We have chickens! They follow us around the yard and "help" us in the garden. The one hen jumped at me the other day because she wanted my rice crispy treat. Speaking of chickens, I have to lock them up for the night pretty soon!

If you ever need egg recipes I posts a whole bunch in the "So what's for dinner" thread.

And also speaking of chicken. Our local supermarket has it $1.99/lb -- I'm stocking up a little! A price like that you can't go wrong!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's a lot tough to harvest them when you give them names.

RNJ said:
I like chickens. They taste like, uh, chicken.
:roll:
Confession time. We still eat chicken; we're just never gonna eat these chickens.

Gilroy Cullen said:
At first I was going to ask if the girls had been busy removing your lawn because of how bare the spot under the coop was...
Naw, that's just the way our backyard is. We do what we can for the girls, though.

I see an Australorpe in the group, don't I?
Had to look up Australorp on Wikipedia; I think you're talking about Annie, the Welsummer. The closest one we have to an Australorp is Chick, the buff Orpington. (If your curious, Zoey's a Rhode Island Red, Melodee's an Ameraucana, and Silvie's a Blue Andalusian.)

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, Looks like Annie might be an Australorp after all! My little sis was looking up egg colors and realized something didn't add up about her looks and several of the eggs we thought Chick was laying. Ah well, we still love Annie. :LilLove:

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
They're adorable, I have always wanted little chicks, they grow so fast though!

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Good thing you're not allowed to have roosters in your neighborhood. They can be very loud and bossy, like Foghorn Leghorn in the cartoons.