• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for beta reader for spy thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrillerlover

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I am looking for a beta reader for my spy thriller. Operation Worm is inspired by two recent events: (1) Dennis Rodman’s trip to North Korea, and (2) America’s use of the Stuxnet computer worm to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities.

I'd be happy to send the first chapter if there's interest. Thanks in advance. [/FONT]

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Thrillerlover. (I love a good thriller, too.) I'm pleased to meet you, and I'm not trying to be unwelcoming when I explain why this request is not reasonable.

You're new, yet you've arrived with a big old GIMME sign. You want our time and expertise and don't mention whether you're willing to give back your own. We've seen new members just like you too often. They're not bad people, but they arrive with their hands out, get what they want, and disappear, never giving any of their own efforts back to the individual beta readers or to the community as a whole.

This rankles. We'd prefer people didn't seek to use us. Now I'm sure you didn't come here with the overt intent of taking without giving, but since we've seen so very many people do that, you'll understand our reluctance to give yet again.

Instead of asking for us to help you first thing, how about you interact here, especially by posting at the boards for the genre in which you write and by giving critique at the Share Your Work board for any genre you read? This will go a long way toward showing us you're not a fly-by-night user but someone who let enthusiasm take the reins for a minute, there.

Maryn, repeating she's glad to meet you

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent! Among the least-scary places to dip your toe in the water is Office Party, where there's a fair amount of fun and silly. I'm at Ray's House of Love at least once a day and hope to see you stop in.

Maryn, looking for a pool boy to scrub down the hot tub for company

ScienceOfFiction

Only a student of the science
Registered
Reaction score
If I may add, I have found that helping and critiquing others improves my work as much as any critique or advice I receive. The best part of AW in my opinion is that giving helps the giver, so if you are active you really can't go wrong.

Welcome aboard!

Smeasking

Just call me "Sox" :)
Registered
Reaction score
If I may add, I have found that helping and critiquing others improves my work as much as any critique or advice I receive. The best part of AW in my opinion is that giving helps the giver, so if you are active you really can't go wrong.

Welcome aboard!

This. I couldn't have said it better myself. Nicely put. :)

@Thriller, take some time to mosey around. Get to know members, and allow them to get to know you. You've only just got here, so "take off your coat and stay awhile." :)

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's more than taking off one's coat. Ideally, we all get so comfortable and feel so included we take off our shoes and put our socked feet on the coffee tables.

Maryn, who does that at home

Status
Not open for further replies.