PDA

View Full Version : How many posts/days on the front page?

Greasy Spoon
03-16-2006, 09:47 PM
:hi:

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the AW boards for quite some time now, but this is my first real venture into the Blogging section since I only started a blog last week (I've been lurking around reading blogs for a long time, too).

I'm wondering how many days worth of posts or how many individual posts you leave on your front page before sending them to your archive and why. I'm signed up with blogger and it automatically set me to 'seven days' but I've read in the past that long, scrolling pages can be daunting to a lot of internet readers so I'm thinking of setting it to only two or three posts.

Has anyone tweaked this in the past and gotten any feedback? What's your personal preference when you're reading blogs?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated, and I look forward to future chatting. :D

Marilyn Braun
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I've set it to only have 3 posts on the front page (I think you can have up to 99 if I remember correctly). I think this is much better for visitors - at least I like to think so. I don't like endlessly scrolling on someones blog. If they want to read more there's always the 'Recent Posts' section on the page.

kathompson
03-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Mine is set to 7 days. People probably only read the first one or two, unless they haven't been by in a while, but it just looks weird to only have a couple of days with the template I'm using.

Dawno
03-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome Greasy Spoon! It's wonderful to have you here. What a great question - I didn't even think to change the defaults - I just fill the page up from top to bottom and side to side with my stuff :)

Please don't forget to say hi in our AW Bloggers thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22139)- tell us a bit about you and where to find your blog!

JulieB
03-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I keep the last five posts on my front page. The titles of the last ten list on a sidebar and then from there readers can search the archives.

It's really a matter of personal preference, but I do agree that it's daunting to have to read through too many posts at once.

huntwriter
03-17-2006, 03:02 AM
:hi:

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the AW boards for quite some time now, but this is my first real venture into the Blogging section since I only started a blog last week (I've been lurking around reading blogs for a long time, too).

I'm wondering how many days worth of posts or how many individual posts you leave on your front page before sending them to your archive and why. I'm signed up with blogger and it automatically set me to 'seven days' but I've read in the past that long, scrolling pages can be daunting to a lot of internet readers so I'm thinking of setting it to only two or three posts.

Has anyone tweaked this in the past and gotten any feedback? What's your personal preference when you're reading blogs?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated, and I look forward to future chatting. :D

That is a very interesting question. I never thought of it on my blogs but now that you mention it I will look into it and find out how to change that.

Not that I am posting much lately, come to think of it I haven't been here in a very long time either.

Greasy Spoon
03-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the input everyone! I've changed my settings to two days and I'll see how I like that.

And thank you for the welcome, Dawno. I'll be sure to pop over to the AW Bloggers Thread to introduce myself proper.