Where to start pages to agent

jorodo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
When an agent asks for query and first (fill in the blank) number of pages, do you count that first page that starts halfway down as a full page? I know you're suppose to copy and paste the words into your email so there's probably no easy way for an agent to know if you went half a page over what they asked for.

Silly question, I know, I just want to know what's common practice for number of pages submission?

Kay

I wish I was as cool as this cat.
Registered
Reaction score
I never did. X amount of full pages was my understanding. I think the most important thing is to grab the agent's attention before your pages are up.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll want to stop at the end of a section. If five pages cuts out in the middle of a sentence, at least finish out the paragraph. If it's only one or two words, though, fiddle with the margins on the last page.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Send the first five pages if that's what you're asked for, but make sure your extract ends at a natural break. So, if it reaches a neat conclusion at four and a half pages, send that much; if there's a better break at five and three quarters, that's what you send.