PDA

View Full Version : Where to start pages to agent

jorodo
06-16-2014, 02:30 AM
When an agent asks for query and first (fill in the blank) number of pages, do you count that first page that starts halfway down as a full page? I know you're suppose to copy and paste the words into your email so there's probably no easy way for an agent to know if you went half a page over what they asked for.

Silly question, I know, I just want to know what's common practice for number of pages submission?

Cathy C
06-16-2014, 02:32 AM
Why are you starting it halfway down the page? I'd just quad space it (4 lines down from the top margin) and let it go. :)

Kay
06-16-2014, 02:36 AM
I never did. X amount of full pages was my understanding. I think the most important thing is to grab the agent's attention before your pages are up.

Jo Zebedee
06-16-2014, 03:00 AM
Most agents would say they're not that hung up about exactly 5 pages (within reason) - if you go to five and a half, it won't be a biggie. Pushing it to ten might be. ;)

BenPanced
06-16-2014, 03:13 AM
Yeah, you'll want to stop at the end of a section. If five pages cuts out in the middle of a sentence, at least finish out the paragraph. If it's only one or two words, though, fiddle with the margins on the last page.

popgun62
06-16-2014, 09:29 AM
They usually expect you to finish to the end of the page, or the chapter, depending on whether they said "the first ten pages" or "the first three chapters" or whatever.

Old Hack
06-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Send the first five pages if that's what you're asked for, but make sure your extract ends at a natural break. So, if it reaches a neat conclusion at four and a half pages, send that much; if there's a better break at five and three quarters, that's what you send.