PDA

View Full Version : Whirling Dervishes

starrykitten
06-15-2014, 10:01 AM
Does anyone here know much about Whirling Dervishes? I have read a lot of information online, but I was hoping to find someone who had firsthand knowledge.

Yorwick
06-15-2014, 12:24 PM
What sort of information are you looking for? Do you need someone who is a whirling dervish or someone who has seen them up close? I have been living and working in Egypt for over 15 years and have seen numerous whirling dervish performances. I have also had a chance to talk to some of them and examine their costumes up close.

starrykitten
06-15-2014, 03:14 PM
OMG that is wonderful! I am really just looking for anyone whose knowledge goes beyond the basics. Plus, the only performances I've seen are on YT.

I am PM'ing you now. :)

arabajyo
06-15-2014, 03:20 PM
For some insights into the Sufi spiritual path that classical whirling dervishes devoted themselves to, I'd recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Path-Dr-Javad-Nurbakhsh/dp/093354670X

Many whirling dervishes today are performers who don't dance for any religious reason. The original dervishes of Rumi's school, however, danced in pursuit of enlightenment.

Cath
06-15-2014, 04:00 PM
OMG that is wonderful! I am really just looking for anyone whose knowledge goes beyond the basics. Plus, the only performances I've seen are on YT.

I am PM'ing you now. :)

Why don't you ask the questions in thread so other people can benefit from the research?

WeaselFire
06-15-2014, 08:06 PM
Does anyone here know much about Whirling Dervishes?
The sandstorm, the dancer or the fighter...? :)

Assuming you mean the Sufi Muslims, there is a ton of information available if you do a just little online research. Were you looking for anything in particular?

Jeff

Siri Kirpal
06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I recommend you look into your local chapter of Dances of Universal Peace. They are usually run by Sufis. Some may be whirling dervishes (the real sort, not the performers). They may also direct you to classes. The Dances of Universal Peace themselves are not true whirling dervish dances, but stem in part from that practice.

My husband is president of our local chapter.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jaksen
06-15-2014, 11:30 PM
I see them sometimes in the woods. They spring up in a field or nearby meadow, move into a wooded area and just die. Also seen them in the bay near my summer house, and once watched as two turned into cyclones - they looked like long blue, chili peppers moving over the water.

Silly me, I phoned my kids and said come down to the beach! There's tornadoes in the water. What a weirdo. Everyone else is running off the beach and I'm summoning my kids to see them.

Of course they lifted up off the water and dissipated, but...

Is that the sort of whirling dervish you're asking about?

starrykitten
06-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Hi again! I posted this question ages ago but then got caught up in other things and neglected to follow up. My apologies for that, but I have returned with the specific questions that I have.

-What are some reasons people choose to become a Whirling Dervish?

-How does being one affect other area's of a person's life?

-Do Whirling Dervishes have any lifestyle restrictions other than the ones shared by all other members of their faith?

-Is there anything a person can do that would get them "banned" from being a Whirling Dervish?

-How do Sufis view the body and sexuality?

Thank you muchly if you have any answers.