• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta Request YA Urban Sci Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Title: I AM THE JACKAL
Genre: YA Urban Sci Fi
Wordcount: 80,000

This is the book that made me google “how to break into a police station,” “how to hack a keypad,” and “how to build a pipe bomb.” I am now probably cemented on the no-fly list.

Here’s a blurb thing!

Bellem is a city known for only two things: a homicide rate staggering enough to scare away even the most hardened police chief, and the Hero Core. The Hero Core is a group of supers who fight the vicious street gangs and criminals even when the police department can’t. And even though Seth Massri does not have powers, he wants to be one of them.

Because joining the Core would allow him to find out what they know about who tried to poison his father. Desperate to keep the suspect from coming back to finish the job, Seth devises a plan. When his plan leads him to a serum that gives him powers like super senses and agility, he finally has the chance he’s been waiting for. Becoming the mysterious Jackal, Seth’s instantly on the streets taking names, and the entire city is fascinated with the newest addition to the Core.

But as Seth gets himself deeper in the inner world of the Hero Core, he finds out that their monopoly on the city is more like a stranglehold. Fighting back is not an option if he wants to find the truth about his father’s attempted killer. Seth can’t keep pretending to be their puppet either—not if it means acting like their job is just like a game of cops and robbers.

But if you sever the puppet strings, you might just fall.

If you would like to beta, either PM or post here. I can send a few sample chapters so you can see if it's good fit.

I’d love to swap (I’ll do anything YA fiction) if you’d like! :)

Last edited:

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Question: would anyone prefer that I post part of the first chapter in SYW first, so that y'all can see if it's your cup of tea?

I didn't think of doing that, and it felt odd for me to post things in SYW (although I've been critiquing there) when I'm only a month old here. But if that's something people would like to see before they consider betaing that's totally fine.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of timeframe are you looking for a response?

A sample in SYW absolutely might help people figure out if they want to read for you. I sometimes get beta offers off samples or queries.

MynaOphelia

lost her spaceship again
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, I'll put up a sample in SYW tomorrow.
EDIT: Okay I'm actually full on betas right now, so I'll post something in SYW when the 3rd or 4th draft is done.

Any time this summer would be great. I don't really have a set deadline, just whatever works best for people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.