Tattoos for teenagers

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Did you get a tattoo as a teenager or do you know a teenager that did? How do you feel about it now and how long has it been since you got it?

I don’t have any myself, I can’t commit to anything. I’ll think of an idea for one and then end up talking myself out of it. My 17 yo cousin is anxiously awaiting her 18th birthday to get her first tattoo…on her foot. She’s also said she would really like a full sleeve.

Do you think 18 is too young to get a tattoo that big (the full sleeve)? I just worry that she’ll regret it in a few years – whether it’s the size, the place or just the design. I’m not going to try to talk her out of it but I do wish she’d wait a few years before making a final decision.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
I waited until I was 22 to get my first tattoo.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea for an 18 year old to get one - they're old enough to make their own decisions and accept the consequences of them. A good bit of advice for anyone of ANY age wanting ink is to put the design somewhere they have to see it every day, and if after six months they're sick of it they shouldn't get it inked on them.

As for regret, eh. Many of us make choices we later regret, that are permanent. You can't live your life afraid you'll regret something.

The tattoos most regretted are ones done with little thought, planning or consideration, or ones done by bad artists.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
I waited until I was 22 to get my first tattoo.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad idea for an 18 year old to get one - they're old enough to make their own decisions and accept the consequences of them. A good bit of advice for anyone of ANY age wanting ink is to put the design somewhere they have to see it every day, and if after six months they're sick of it they shouldn't get it inked on them.

As for regret, eh. Many of us make choices we later regret, that are permanent. You can't live your life afraid you'll regret something.

The tattoos most regretted are ones done with little thought, planning or consideration, or ones done by bad artists.

All good points. I know she has a good artist so that part doesn't worry me. I don't know why exactly but when she said she wanted a full sleeve I felt like it was a pretty big decision that should really be thought out and this seems to be a pretty new development. Maybe it will take her several years just to design what she wants and that will give her the time she needs to fully make up her mind.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
Well, I just started on my sleeve and I've been planning it for years. Full sleeves are expensive, and just saving up for it might take months or years for an 18 year old. Mine's going to cost £200 or so when it's done and it's a low coverage sleeve, quite simple.

It is a big choice, but a reputable artist will help guide her through it.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Another good point! :D Whew! You're the right person to talk to!

Saving the money and designing it should give her plenty of time to back out if it's not something she really truly wants...not just because all of her friends are doing it right now.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
And ultimately, if she makes that choice and it is a mistake, there's nothing you can do about it. You don't have the power to direct her to better choices. She'll have to take responsibility for that herself.

When you get something permanently inked into you, you take the risk that it is a mistake. If you are sensible, take your time planning it, make it personal, choose something you love with the advice and care of a great artist, you are less likely to regret it.

Edit: Direct this young woman to the BME website (it deals with all kinds of modification, including some pretty hard stuff, so she should be aware of that and not access it at school or work), and get her to pay special attention to the pictures and stories. It's also worthwhile reading the wiki, and the advice boards.

Last edited:

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting topic. If I had a teen I wouldn't let them get a tattoo, but once they turn 18 they have to make that decision for themselves. I would, however, encourage them to wait at least two years before getting the tattoo to see if they still want it then.

This topic has good timing because I was looking at getting a tattoo and almost got one earlier this week. I'm not sure if I want to get it or not because I got one nine years ago and wished I hadn't. As you said, it was rushed and I didn't explore all my options first. After that I told myself I would never get another tattoo, but now that I have an idea of one I really like and where to put it I just might get a second one.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
And ultimately, if she makes that choice and it is a mistake, there's nothing you can do about it. You don't have the power to direct her to better choices. She'll have to take responsibility for that herself.

When you get something permanently inked into you, you take the risk that it is a mistake. If you are sensible, take your time planning it, make it personal, choose something you love with the advice and care of a great artist, you are less likely to regret it.

Edit: Direct this young woman to the BME website (it deals with all kinds of modification, including some pretty hard stuff, so she should be aware of that and not access it at school or work), and get her to pay special attention to the pictures and stories. It's also worthwhile reading the wiki, and the advice boards.

I don't want to direct her choices honestly. Even if I thought she was making a huge mistake I would keep it to myself. I love her dearly but we're not close enough for her to come to me for advice and I try my best to not offer advice to people that haven't asked for it. With exception of course...my own kids will hear what I have to say whether they ask or not. :D Even then once they're adults they get to make their own choices.

Thanks for the website, I'll definitely let her know about it.

Interesting topic. If I had a teen I wouldn't let them get a tattoo, but once they turn 18 they have to make that decision for themselves. I would, however, encourage them to wait at least two years before getting the tattoo to see if they still want it then.

This topic has good timing because I was looking at getting a tattoo and almost got one earlier this week. I'm not sure if I want to get it or not because I got one nine years ago and wished I hadn't. As you said, it was rushed and I didn't explore all my options first. After that I told myself I would never get another tattoo, but now that I have an idea of one I really like and where to put it I just might get a second one.

I think two years sounds like a good amount of time. That was my time frame for myself with any idea that I had. But I'd even be happy with the six month idea that Anninyn suggested.

My cousin's situation got me to thinking about the whole topic in general. It's easy to lump all 18 yo's in together but it's not really that simple. Some may truly be ready to make that decision at that age. I'm not really asking if we should forbid them at that age because that wouldn't work out well at all. I'm more so curious about what you all think of the idea. Were you ready at 18 for a full sleeve tattoo?

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Did you get a tattoo as a teenager or do you know a teenager that did?

No and no. I was a teenager during the 1970s, and tattoos just weren't "in" back then -- unless you were a World War II veteran or an ex-convict. I can't remember any friends or classmates ever even mentioning tattoos during my teenage years, unless it was something like "My Uncle Jim was in the U.S. Marines during WWII, the big one. He got his tattoo to honor all of his buddies who died in the Battle of Tarawa."

Or maybe it would be something like, "Hey, be careful when you walk past the 7-11 store on your way to the bus stop. There's a scary-looking f**ker with prison tattoos panhandling in the parking lot." Something like that.

Almost all of the young people (late teens through mid-30s) in my family have tattoos, though. It seems to be a big trend throughout the past decade or so.

I still don't have any tattoos, by the way. Just not my thing, that's all.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
My cousin's situation got me to thinking about the whole topic in general. It's easy to lump all 18 yo's in together but it's not really that simple. Some may truly be ready to make that decision at that age. I'm not really asking if we should forbid them at that age because that wouldn't work out well at all. I'm more so curious about what you all think of the idea. Were you ready at 18 for a full sleeve tattoo?

I don't think I was. I would have made a snap decision and got something that was less important to me than what I'm getting now.

To be honest, I wasn't ready for any tattoos at 18. I was too led by what other people would think was cool, and not what I would want on me forever. My tastes were also very typical 90's goth teen. (I wanted a barcode on my bum because 'we're all commodities, right?' ) I couldn't stick to an idea for more than a month.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
No, I didn't get a tattoo as a teen, nor did I know any teens who did. Tattoos were scary things thugs in biker gangs had. Or drunken sailors. And though I did become a drunken sailor I was never THAT drunk.

Now however, my view of tattoos has changed. I've been wanting to get one for years but I just can't make up my mind on what. It isn't like an avatar that I can change when the whim hits. They're permanent.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I never wanted a tattoo when I was in my teens. I was 25 when I got my first one, and I did that on a whim - not the best reason, but my then boyfriend, now husband, was getting one and I went with him. I looked around and said, "Eh, what the hell?" - and got a 4 leaf clover on my left ankle. My second one was also an impulse - I knew I wanted something, but didn't know what, so just picked a design I liked - tribals were in then, so I have one on my right ankle.

My most recent one is from last year and it's the only one that means something to me. My mom died last year, so I have the word Mom inside angel's wings on my right wrist.

I plan on getting my next one come the fall - I want 2 dragonflies on my left shoulder, with my kids' names written in the veins of the wings. :D

I don't regret any of them, even the impulse ones. Without that first impulsive decision, I probably wouldn't have any of them and I love mine. :)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
tats are cool
one thing though is a full-sleeve can limit employment opportunities
something for a teen to consider
society can be judgmental

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
tats are cool
one thing though is a full-sleeve can limit employment opportunities

Yeah, it's hard to think of that when you're 18, but I'd definitely wait on a full sleeve - or a neck tattoo - or even a wrist tattoo.

Where I work neck tattoos are forbidden - except for one department. In some places, anything below the elbow is forbidden. And in some places - any visible tattoo is a reason not to hire. So a full sleeve means wearing long-sleeved shirts all the time.

It would suck to realize you want to become a trial lawyer and oops! Gotta go get those tats lasered off.

I'd suggest going with a back shoulder, or just top of upper arm. Or a hip. Someplace that's easily hidden.

If the career choice turns out to be a rock guitarist, or a radio DJ, or hey, a writer! Then add the full sleeve.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
It's so much more common to have tattoos now, where I live, that if employers didn't want to hire you for visible ink they'd have no-one to hire!

Most jobs I want to do would be OK with me wearing long sleeves anyway.

I wouldn't get a neck, face or hand tattoo, though, not unless I had run out of skin.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/obvious-tattoos-keep-friend-front-office-050507282.html

DEAR ABBY: I have an attractive friend who was bypassed for a front-office promotion. "Miranda" is pleasant, clean, efficient, energetic and had the same qualifications as the individual who was promoted. A management team member confided that the reason for Miranda's lack of advancement "might" be due to the numerous tattoos -- difficult to cover -- on her arms and wrists, which the manager said isn't the image the business wants to convey.

In news today. Seemed relevant.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
The US military policies on tattoos have changed recently, and are almost always in a general state of flux. I think Army and Marines now prohibit sleeves, and anything above the neck.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I wasn't ready for any tattoos at 18. I was too led by what other people would think was cool, and not what I would want on me forever. My tastes were also very typical 90's goth teen. (I wanted a barcode on my bum because 'we're all commodities, right?' ) I couldn't stick to an idea for more than a month.

This. I shudder to imagine being stuck for life with something I thought was cool when I was 18. :D

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* My 15 yo stepdaughter told me over the weekend that she wants several tattoos - a half sleeve that goes up over her shoulder, a huge one on her side - and also a tongue piercing and two nose piercings. I was actually pretty shocked since I had never heard her express any interests in tattoos or piercings. I asked her when she wanted to get them done and she said when she turns 18 so that she can get them over with and have longer to enjoy them.

I told her about our discussion here but ultimately didn't say much because I could tell she was listening just to humor me. Besides I have a feeling in 6 months to a year she'll be back to not wanting any.

I don't think I was. I would have made a snap decision and got something that was less important to me than what I'm getting now.

This. I shudder to imagine being stuck for life with something I thought was cool when I was 18. :D

Both of these replies are exactly what I think. I think back to myself at 18 and am so glad that I didn't get to do a lot of the things I thought I wanted to do then.

It didn't help my concerns about my cousins desire for a full sleeve when she admitted on twitter over the weekend that she is "impulsive". Thankfully I don't think she has the money to shell out for a full sleeve whim.

00Pepper

Super Pepper
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to think of that when you're 18, but I'd definitely wait on a full sleeve - or a neck tattoo - or even a wrist tattoo.

Where I work neck tattoos are forbidden - except for one department. In some places, anything below the elbow is forbidden. And in some places - any visible tattoo is a reason not to hire. So a full sleeve means wearing long-sleeved shirts all the time.

It would suck to realize you want to become a trial lawyer and oops! Gotta go get those tats lasered off.

I'd suggest going with a back shoulder, or just top of upper arm. Or a hip. Someplace that's easily hidden.

If the career choice turns out to be a rock guitarist, or a radio DJ, or hey, a writer! Then add the full sleeve.

It's so much more common to have tattoos now, where I live, that if employers didn't want to hire you for visible ink they'd have no-one to hire!

Most jobs I want to do would be OK with me wearing long sleeves anyway.

I wouldn't get a neck, face or hand tattoo, though, not unless I had run out of skin.

It does seem to be more common but then again there are still lots of places that expect you to have them covered. I know my own employer doesn't allow visible tattoos.

And neither of my beloved girlies have nailed down a career choice. Which doesn't surprise me in the slightest - they're 15 and 17 after all. At least my stepdaughter has a couple more years before she can get a tattoo, my cousin is 3 months away. It will be interesting to see what she ends up doing. Either way I hope she is happy with her decision.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* My 15 yo stepdaughter told me over the weekend that she wants several tattoos - a half sleeve that goes up over her shoulder, a huge one on her side - and also a tongue piercing and two nose piercings. I was actually pretty shocked since I had never heard her express any interests in tattoos or piercings. I asked her when she wanted to get them done and she said when she turns 18 so that she can get them over with and have longer to enjoy them.

I told her about our discussion here but ultimately didn't say much because I could tell she was listening just to humor me. Besides I have a feeling in 6 months to a year she'll be back to not wanting any.

Probably. She is 15 so she will change her mind 50 times by the time she is 18.

RookieWriter

Registered
Reaction score
On Wednesday I got my second tattoo, only a few months after telling myself that my first tattoo was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made and that I can guarantee I will never get another tattoo ever again no matter what. This is what I was telling myself in April. So much for that. I love this new tattoo. It's on my right calf so it balances out with the other one which is on my left. This one is so bad ass that it makes the other tattoo OK.

I like tattoos but at the same time I like ones that are easy to cover up. I wouldn't get one on my arm or hands, and never EVER on my face or neck. Legs and maybe back, but that's about it.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I was at college when I had my first, so... 18/19ish? It's a star on my left ankle. I still love it. Had a flower on my right wrist a couple of years later and still love that too. I think the simpler the design, the more likely you are to still like it?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I had my first tatt at 16, which was very naughty of me. It's a little sun on my lower abdomen. First problem: I was very skinny at 16, and though I'm not a great deal bigger now, my shape has changed a little. If I ever get pregnant, it will change even more. At 16, we lack foresight.

My second tatt was at 18 and I still love it. I'm fortunate enough to still have the same interests as I did then, so a Moogle on my shoulder is not embarrassing to me. But again, treading carefully is recommended. We change a lot!

My best, most carefully thought-out tattoos were from 25 onwards. An ice goddess on my calf, a maneki neko half-sleeve and, currently in progress, a Spirited Away three-quarter sleeve. All are hideable, should I ever get a job in which tattoos are not permitted (which is why I'd always steer clear of wrist, forearm, neck, feet and ankle tatts unless you know you're going to end up in a profession where these things don't matter.)

Tattoo prejudice is stupid, but it exists.