Hanson
06-13-2014, 01:20 AM
I agree WLander, England may not make it out of their group

Albedo
06-13-2014, 01:30 AM
Haha, first crappy call of the cup.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 02:00 AM
Could one of the mods do me a favour, please?

Every time I try to use the existing World Cup thread, I get the Java popup.

I've used Spybot Search and CCleaner and it still happens so I have no idea what is causing it.

Anyway, that's not the important thing.

I really really want to discuss the World Cup with everyone here so is there any chance you could incorporate that thread into this one?

And then I will edit this post to reflect the topic of football?

Pretty please?

Thank you

waylander
06-13-2014, 02:10 AM
Unconvincing from Brazil. Very soft penalty, not much wrong with the goal Croatia had disallowed. If they win Group A they will face (probably) Holland or Spain. That will be a cracker.

Still not optimistic about England

Hanson
06-13-2014, 02:54 AM
Unconvincing from Brazil. Very soft penalty, not much wrong with the goal Croatia had disallowed. If they win Group A they will face (probably) Holland or Spain. That will be a cracker.

Still not optimistic about England

+1

rugcat
06-13-2014, 04:24 AM

Still not optimistic about England I think calling that penalty soft is being charitable.

And yes, very little wrong with Croatia's disallowed goal.

And that third Brazil goal was made possible by winning the ball at midfield on a clear foul. The ball was poked away by a clever wraparound of a foot, but then the defender was violently pushed in the back and went down. No dive there; that was a serious push.

Of course, controversy about calls by the refs are as much a part of the World Cup as is a round ball and a grass pitch. But it's a bit disheartening to see two such important calls blown in the very first match.

Brazil was not only unconvincing, they were disappointing. I expect to see them get their act together but if they don't they may not even make it past the quarterfinals.

For viewers in the US, there is a delightful bonus. ESPN, which has always televised games with a crawl feed along the bottom and a large logo on the top blocking part of the view of the pitch and several other things which make it difficult and annoying to watch a game, for the first time showed the entire pitch with only a small line showing score and time in the top corner.

I don't know who at that network finally came to their senses, but I am delighted to actually be able to see a match the way it should be seen, free of visual clutter.

Hanson
06-13-2014, 06:22 PM
For viewers in the US, there is a delightful bonus. ESPN, which has always televised games with a crawl feed along the bottom and a large logo on the top blocking part of the view of the pitch and several other things which make it difficult and annoying to watch a game, for the first time showed the entire pitch with only a small line showing score and time in the top corner.

I don't know who at that network finally came to their senses, but I am delighted to actually be able to see a match the way it should be seen, free of visual clutter.

Only if punters could access the matches through other outlets. Most likely these days.

So, Spain and the Netherlands to Draw.

Australia to get at least one goal against Chile.

Albedo
06-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Only if punters could access the matches through other outlets. Most likely these days.

So, Spain and the Netherlands to Draw.

Australia to get at least one goal against Chile
; implode.

robeiae
06-13-2014, 06:41 PM
I didn't watch the match live, but having seen it now I can't say I'm surprised at just how bad that call was. I think the ref felt the pressure and basically gave in the first chance he got. I'm assuming we won't be seeing him in the later rounds.

Hanson
06-13-2014, 07:16 PM
; implode.
Decode the implode?

@Rob and Rug If it went by the book, 'twouldn't be sport. :D

robeiae
06-13-2014, 07:50 PM
FWIW, my predictions (http://thepondsofhappenstance.blogspot.com/2013/12/world-cup-2014-draw-brackets-analysis.html).

Albedo
06-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Decode the implode?

You'll see in about 6 hours.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Maybe not then! :D

MacAllister
06-13-2014, 08:19 PM
Hang on - I'll see what I can do. :) The existing post in the other thread will still be the first post (cuz chronology) but a merge might change the thread id, I think.

Hanson
06-13-2014, 08:21 PM
You'll see in about 6 hours.
Oh, so 2 goals for Oz? ;)

Looking like Cameroon will win this. 2-0, maybe 2-1

Albedo
06-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Oh, so 2 goals for Oz? ;)

Yeah, one disallowed for some unfathomable reason (or a fathomable briefcase full of money), and the other handily kicked into our own goal.

The great thing about being a pessimist is you're never disappointed.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 08:51 PM
Hang on - I'll see what I can do. :) The existing post in the other thread will still be the first post (cuz chronology) but a merge might change the thread id, I think.

I love you. I love you lots.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 09:28 PM
Mac, it worked! Nice one.

thothguard51
06-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Me, I am more interested in how Brazil is going to handle the unrest. That is where the real story is...

Qatar will be taking notes...

Hanson
06-13-2014, 10:06 PM
So, Mexico rightly won. two crazy off-side decisions.

Right, onto some logical footie at 8.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Can't see either of those two getting past Brasil or Croatia though.

Hanson
06-13-2014, 10:11 PM
FWIW, my predictions (http://thepondsofhappenstance.blogspot.com/2013/12/world-cup-2014-draw-brackets-analysis.html).
The Netherlands defeats Germany????

You lost me at USA beats Russia. :D

msza45
06-13-2014, 10:13 PM
I'm going with Uruguay over Germany.

Hanson
06-13-2014, 10:19 PM
Can't see either of those two getting past Brasil or Croatia though.
Yeah Brazil and Croatia will go through, for sure.

msza45
06-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah Brazil and Croatia will go through, for sure.

Mexico has three points already. I'd favor them above Croatia.

rugcat
06-13-2014, 10:28 PM
So, Mexico rightly won. two crazy off-side decisions.

Right, onto some logical footie at 8. i'm sorry, I'm used to crazy referee decisions in the World Cup, but this is getting ridiculous.

Not one but two perfectly valid goals for Mexico disallowed. The first one was close, and I can see the linesmen getting it wrong that's part of the game. But the second disallowed goal was absurd.

Two games, four bad officiating decisions two of which were incomprehensible.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 10:45 PM
Mexico has three points already. I'd favor them above Croatia.

Croatia should beat both Mexico and Cameroon. The tricky game will be against Mexico though.

mirandashell
06-13-2014, 10:50 PM

You didn't take into account that the Netherlands have a tendency to implode in big competitions.

msza45
06-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Croatia should beat both Mexico and Cameroon. The tricky game will be against Mexico though.

I'd rather count the chickens that have already hatched rather than the ones that "should." Especially with these refs! Cameroon is the weak link but Mex-Croatia could go either way.

robeiae
06-14-2014, 12:01 AM
You didn't take into account that the Netherlands have a tendency to implode in big competitions.

It's for fun; I'm no expert, just a fan of the competition. And it's boring to not pick any upsets.

But the Netherlands are still one of only two teams to make it to the finals in the previous World Cup. That's better than every other team in the competition, aside from Spain of course...

robeiae
06-14-2014, 12:25 AM
3-1, Netherlands leading Spain. That third goal was interesting, when compared to the disallowed goal by Croatia.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 12:37 AM
5-1, Netherlands leading Spain. That third goal was interesting, when compared to the disallowed goal by Croatia.
fyp

:Hail::Hail:

Hanson
06-14-2014, 12:38 AM
re 'logic'

:mothership:

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 12:40 AM
But the Netherlands are still one of only two teams to make it to the finals in the previous World Cup. That's better than every other team in the competition, aside from Spain of course...

That makes absolutely no sense, Rob. When you say 'finals' do you mean the actual World Cup, as in what happens after qualifying? Or the final of the World Cup competition, as in the last game?

Cos it is very rare that the same two teams are in the final two WCs running.

And before you bring up the result of this game on at the moment, anyone who has followed football for a long time knows that Holland have a habit of starting really well and then imploding into rows and walkouts and bad play. I'm not saying they definitely will this time, but it's something to keep in mind.

Most people are calling Chile the outside chance

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Well, who'd a thunk? This is the Spanish team that won a Euro, then a WC, then a Euro.... isn't it?

Hanson
06-14-2014, 12:54 AM
Well, who'd a thunk? This is the Spanish team that won a Euro, then a WC, then a Euro.... isn't it?
You've never heard of the Bodysnatchers?

waylander
06-14-2014, 12:55 AM
5-1 could so easily have been more. Spain just fell apart in the second half.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 01:05 AM
5-1 could so easily have been more. Spain just fell apart in the second half.
I'd Robben to get a hat-trick.

He nearly did, twice.

ah well.

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 01:23 AM
You've never heard of the Bodysnatchers?

:ROFL:

Seems that way!

msza45
06-14-2014, 01:29 AM
Terrible reffing aside, this WC is off to a great start. 11 goals in 3 games!

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 01:30 AM
The bad reffing has started early this time!

Hanson
06-14-2014, 01:31 AM
effin' reffin'!!

lol.

Yeah, fab game though.

robeiae
06-14-2014, 02:12 AM
That makes absolutely no sense, Rob. When you say 'finals' do you mean the actual World Cup, as in what happens after qualifying? Or the final of the World Cup competition, as in the last game?
"One of only two teams to make the finals" obviously can't mean anything other than the last game. "One of only two teams." And I noted the other team to do the same was Spain. Because Spain played the Netherlands in the finals of the last World Cup in 2010. Spain won, 1-0.

Albedo
06-14-2014, 02:13 AM
2-0. What did I say?

That guy was called Alexis. I'm okay with that.

Albedo
06-14-2014, 02:18 AM
Just said by the Aussie commentators: "The first six or seven minutes were looking very positive for the Socceroos, but ...."

Hanson
06-14-2014, 02:24 AM
Just said by the Aussie commentators: "The first six or seven minutes were looking very positive for the Socceroos, but ...."
lol.

Shockingly bad from Oz, ouch. Hard to watch. Poor guys.

All i need is one goal from Cahill.

just one.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 02:35 AM
Yeeha!!!

robeiae
06-14-2014, 02:38 AM
I always like watching the Aussies, always end up rooting for them. Good to see that goal. And you never know...

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
It's turning out to be a good game.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 02:50 AM
I always like watching the Aussies, always end up rooting for them. Good to see that goal. And you never know...
No, we know. We all know.

But...nice to see that goal. A double with Cahill and Robben to score anytime. That's me happy for a bit. :)

In fairness, the Aussies are picking up a bit, but nah, they wont make it out of this group.

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 02:51 AM
"One of only two teams to make the finals" obviously can't mean anything other than the last game. "One of only two teams." And I noted the other team to do the same was Spain. Because Spain played the Netherlands in the finals of the last World Cup in 2010. Spain won, 1-0.

Ermm... yes I know. I watched it.

So it was meant to be a joke then?

robeiae
06-14-2014, 03:17 AM
Ermm... yes I know. I watched it.

So it was meant to be a joke then?No.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 03:25 AM
Chile seem to have gone off to party or something.

Oz might draw, but neither team will come first or second in the group.

Game quite watchable all the same

Albedo
06-14-2014, 03:54 AM
And nope.

Hanson
06-14-2014, 04:09 AM
And nope.
'There you go, more negative waves! Have a little faith, baby! Have a little faith...'

(from Kelly's Heroes)

(but yeah, it's over for Oz)

robeiae
06-14-2014, 04:36 AM
"It's a mother-beautiful bridge, and it's gonna be there!"

Oops, sorry.

rugcat
06-14-2014, 06:02 AM
So was the Netherlands that good or did Spain simply fall apart in a one time meltdown? Two fantastic goals by Robben and Van Persie though.

I also think Chile is being overestimated and Mexico is being underestimated.

Spain will dominate Australia in the next match, of course. They'll be out to take the bad taste of the Netherlands match out of their mouths and I'd hate to be the Aussies in this situation.

The Netherlands will control the game against Chile and will win, but it won't be a rout like the game against Spain.

I would not be at all surprised to see Mexico defeat Croatia. As many others have noted, it all depends on which Mexico team shows up for that particular game.

Cup play has barely begun but already there have been some rather surprising results Brazil playing badly, Spain collapsing and the Netherlands looking great, Mexico winning despite having two valid goals disallowed.

Next upset? I'm going with England over Italy. Maybe just wishful thinking, & before play started I wouldn't given England much of a chance at all. But I think we're going to see a lot more unexpected results.

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I enjoyed the Chile v Aus game. Very entertaining second half. Felt a bit sorry for Aus as that wasn't really a 3-1 game.

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
Spain will dominate Australia in the next match, of course. They'll be out to take the bad taste of the Netherlands match out of their mouths and I'd hate to be the Aussies in this situation.

I thnk Spain are playing Chile in their next game?

mirandashell
06-14-2014, 05:36 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/2014/schedule/group-stage

Yep, Chile on Weds 18th.

Although you can still feel sorry for Aus as Holland will be full of the joys of victory and wanting another win to get through to Round 2.

rugcat
06-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Ah, yes. I seem to have reversed the schedule order.

Hope that doesn't mean all of my predictions will also turn out to be 180 off.

rugcat
06-15-2014, 01:57 AM
Costa Rica 3-1 over Uruguay.

Another game running against form. And this was no fluke. Costa Rica played an excellent game and thoroughly to deserved their result.

mirandashell
06-15-2014, 02:01 AM
They certainly did.

Ok here we go with England. For the first time, I am completely meh about whether England win or lose.

ajaye
06-15-2014, 09:59 AM
Just saw the replay of the Costa Rica game, didn't know the result and got very excited for them. Happy with Aus's effort, even happier that our coach wasn't happy about it cos he expected to win.

Miranda why the meh for your boys?

robeiae
06-15-2014, 03:40 PM
I really enjoyed yesterday's games, aside for England losing. I particularly enjoyed the last one, Ivory Coast v. Japan. Helluva thing, those back-to-back headers.

And it was great to see some games without blown calls, by and large.

waylander
06-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Thought England played reasonably well. With better finishing they should have got a draw. Overall though, it served as a reminder that Italy are a good side; they defend well, pass well, retain the ball and Balotelli is dangerous

robeiae
06-15-2014, 05:04 PM
I agree. England looked capable of scoring more goals. Personally, I would liked to have see Lallana get the start because I think he would have provided a little more possession and created a few more chances. Maybe he'll get the start against Uruguay?

Regardless, based on what England showed, I'm hopeful they might go through.

mirandashell
06-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Just saw the replay of the Costa Rica game, didn't know the result and got very excited for them. Happy with Aus's effort, even happier that our coach wasn't happy about it cos he expected to win.

Miranda why the meh for your boys?

It's been a feeling that been building up since the 2010 World Cup, TBH. I was so embarrassed by the way they played. And then Rooney made it a lot worse by giving out on camera about the fans booing as the players went off. I kept thinking 'how fecking dare he speak about us like that!' And then I kept seeing reports on their entitled attitudes and actions and I just lost my love for both the England team and the football leagues in England. In fact, I paid so little attention to this last season I don't know who half the present England team are!

I've been watching and following the women's football a lot more the last couple of years.

And to be honest, because I have no emotional investment in the team anymore, I enjoyed the game a lot more. It was a good game of football and, IMO, our manager used the right tactics. Allowing the young uns to use their speed against the Italian defence (who traditionally don't like being run at) worked well. It was our defence that slipped up.

waylander
06-15-2014, 07:40 PM
There's a genuine question over whether Rooney should start the next match. He did one thing right - the pass for Sturridge's goal. But his failure to protect Baines gave Italy a lot of space down the left which is where Balotelli's goal came from. I might well be inclined to start with Lallana or Barkley.

mirandashell
06-15-2014, 08:16 PM
There's a genuine question over whether Rooney should start the next match. He did one thing right - the pass for Sturridge's goal. But his failure to protect Baines gave Italy a lot of space down the left which is where Balotelli's goal came from. I might well be inclined to start with Lallana or Barkley.

OH and I were talking about that last night. I'm having doubts about him too. But OH reckons Rooney should be in the middle where he is comfortable. He reckons it's Gerard that should be dropped because he can no longer run forward so resorts to the long ball. And he's not accurate enough. Wilshere should be in that position. Or possibly Lallana.

waylander
06-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Not a fan of Wilshire, in my view he gets caught in possesion too often.

robeiae
06-16-2014, 03:12 AM
But OH reckons Rooney should be in the middle where he is comfortable. He reckons it's Gerard that should be dropped because he can no longer run so resorts to the long ball. And he's not accurate enough.

I think I agree with this. I think Rooney can score goals if he's put in the position to score them. He can go back and help out, but my feeling is that he does so when he's being used the way he wants to be used.

But I get the concern over Rooney. They could certainly play without him starting, though I think he'll be useless as a sub. Tough call to make.

msza45
06-16-2014, 05:23 AM
Can't believe Uruguay lost. They are my pet team after the USA. Loved watching Forlan in 2010. I picked them to win the whole thing. Now they've gotta beat England and Italy back to back

mirandashell
06-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Just finished the Argentina v Bosnia game. Impressed with Bosnia for their effort and their good football. They kept trying right to the whistle.

Robbert
06-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Group G: Just put 20 quid on Portugal and Ghana advancing to the knock-out stage.

Being German myself, I can't help but think they had far superior world cup teams.

What I'll do with the prize money? Bribing a few officials to become FIFA's next president ;)

mirandashell
06-16-2014, 05:01 PM
Seriously?

Robbert
06-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Seriously what? Citizenship? Okay, I have dual citizenship (Irish-German), but since Ireland is not a football-force to be reckoned with...

Betting? I've been a punter all my life.

Corruption allegations? To me, having chosen Qatar as host is first-hand evidence.

IMO, Germany is vastly overrated. It'll crush out of the tournament while I'm laughing my way to the bank. And if I'm wrong? Then it's
:partyguy:

msza45
06-16-2014, 06:52 PM
I'm not convinced Ronaldo is healthy. Germany will beat Portugal and ultimately move to R16, along with the winner of US v. Ghana. If there are ties, then.... ?

mirandashell
06-16-2014, 07:15 PM
IMO, Germany is vastly overrated. It'll crush out of the tournament while I'm laughing my way to the bank. And if I'm wrong? Then it's
:partyguy:

I remember the last time Germany were really bad. So bad that Beckenbauer said that if he put them all in sack and hit it with a stick, whoever got hurt would deserve it. They lost 2-0 in the final.

To Brasil.

mirandashell
06-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Robbert - 2-0 in 30 mins. You were saying?

:D

robeiae
06-16-2014, 08:53 PM
It was an ugly finish to the half. Portugal looks completely beaten and now have lost Pepe for the next match as well.

msza45
06-16-2014, 09:03 PM
It was an ugly finish to the half. Portugal looks completely beaten and now have lost Pepe for the next match as well.

Good news for the US. 99% of us figured Germany would make it out the group anyway. I don't see why anyone rooting for the US would have wanted to see Portugal get a point from tie.

robeiae
06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Yeah, if the game continues this way, I think it is good news, both for Ghana and the US.

It's funny, the idea was expressed upthread about how Spain will likely be out to prove something in their next match (and I think that's probably right). But I get the feeling it will be the opposite for Portugal, if this game finishes like it started. I think the Portuguese team is far more fragile and will respond badly to a blow-out loss.

msza45
06-16-2014, 09:14 PM
Agreed. I don't think I've ever seen a supposed giant melt down in a World Cup this quickly... down 3 goals and their star defender sent off before halftime of the first game.

Look at Mueller with 7 WC goals at age 24. And this WC has barely started!

rugcat
06-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Yeah, if the game continues this way, I think it is good news, both for Ghana and the US. Indeed.

Pepe out for the next match with the US, and a big leg up in goal differential if Portugal ends up tied on points for second place in the group.

And yes, I think Spain will come out energized and strong in their next game. Portugal might rebound, but I agree they are more prone to have had their confidence shaken.

If the US wins their match against Ghana, they have a great chance to go through. That's a big if, however. Ghana is a very talented team.

aruna
06-16-2014, 10:58 PM
I'm sorry that my only contribution to this thread is off-topic, but it's really annoying me that all the kids who walk in with the players (at least, of all the games I've watched, which isn't many) are all fair-skinned -- and even with all black teams. In a very mixed-race country, where it would be easy to find black kids. But I guess nobody else notices such stuff, and it's just a stipid (sic) gripe.

Sorry. Had to get that out.

robeiae
06-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Really? I hadn't noticed...

;)

mirandashell
06-16-2014, 11:02 PM
No it's not stupid. And I confess I hadn't actually noticed. I wonder where the kids come from cos usually they are local kids that are nominated by a charity.

robeiae
06-17-2014, 04:13 AM
Whew. That was an exhausting game to watch, what with the US taking a 1-0 lead in less then a minute and basically holding off Ghana for the next 80+ minutes. But the winning goal from Brooks was just awesome.

Some takeaways for me:

1) Ghana is still very dangerous; they could have scored--should have scored--on multiple occasions.

2) Bradley had a bad game. He made a lot of mistakes imo and was not up to his usual standards.

3) That said, Bradley was one of the only starters who looked really fit and that's a big problem, imo. I think the US is still lacking in fitness, as compared to the top teams. They have too many lapses, too many drops in energy.

4) If the US is going to compete with the top teams, MLS soccer has got to produce and groom talent. And damn if the MLS players didn't shine tonight. Beckermann, Zusi, and Besler ('til he left) were key players tonight. Seeing these guys get their chance on the world stage and make it count really was gratifying.

rugcat
06-17-2014, 10:00 AM
I was really happy for Beckerman, who plays for Real Salt Lake. He's always been an underrated player and a consummate professional, and I'm glad he finally got his chance and showed how valuable he can be to the team.

Josie Altadore's injury is a serious blow however. They really don't have anyone who can take his place.

I agree Michael Bradley had one of the few bad games I've ever seen him play, but Jermaine Jones was stellar. And Tim Howard had a great game. It's not just about great reaction stops; it's about decision-making and control of the penalty area. A world-class keeper is absolutely vital to a teams success.

And I'm still pissed about Klinsmann leaving Landon Donovan off the team. I watched every single qualifier leading up to the cup, and Landon not only deserved to be on the team, in my opinion he deserved to start.

With Altadore out, his presence would have made a tremendous difference. I have no idea what went on between him and Klinsmann but it wasn't about his play, that's one thing for sure.

Hanson
06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
In my Road to 2014 Wallchart I have Germany and USA going through.

Instinct really, didn't actually believe it would happen.

but now...

Some fascinating results in this WC.

Germany to win the 2014 Word Cup outright, without a shadow of doubt in my mind.

Please donate a portion of all your winnings (based on this info) to a charity of your choice.

mirandashell
06-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Has everyone seen today's Google page? It's very funny!

waylander
06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Seriously underwhelmed with Belgium at this point. 1-0 down to Algeria and looking toothless.

mirandashell
06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Me too. I'm a bit surprised considering who they have in the team.

mirandashell
06-17-2014, 09:37 PM
And normal service is resumed....

I think the manager is unsure of who should be in his team. Felani has made such a difference.

I feel sorry for Algeria though. They don't deserve to lose this.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 12:45 AM
This Mexican keeper is earning his money tonight! Brasil would be 5 up if it wasn't for him!

robeiae
06-18-2014, 01:01 AM
People who don't like football/soccer often say part of the reason is the lack of scoring. And sometimes they have a point. But not today. That 0-0 game between Mexico and Brazil was exciting from start to finish, imo. And yeah, the Mexican keeper had an incredible game.

The announcers keep talking up this Brazil side as if it had capabilities that past sides never had. I don't see it. Their defense was porous and if they play like this against, say, Spain (which is where I think they are headed in the knockout stage), they're gonna get punished. Because strikers like Costa are not gonna give up the ball so easily or so often upfront.

waylander
06-18-2014, 01:59 AM
Certainly the Mexico keeper had a great game but Brazil looked pretty clueless going forward for much of the match. I agree that someone like Spain or Chile will punish them.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 02:02 AM
And Germany and Netherlands wll run all over them as well unless they get their act together. Especially at the back. They were headless chickens for a lot of that game. It was only the 20 mins or so at the end that they seemed to get together.

msza45
06-18-2014, 02:16 AM
Brazil will probably make the quarters due to a favorable R16 draw, but that's it for them.

robeiae
06-18-2014, 02:43 AM
If Brazil wins their group and the Netherlands wins their group (with Spain in the second slot), that would mean Brazil plays Spain in the R16. I don't think that's favorable at all. I have them going out there in my bracket.

rugcat
06-18-2014, 03:21 AM
Certainly the Mexico keeper had a great game but Brazil looked pretty clueless going forward for much of the match. I agree that someone like Spain or Chile will punish them. Brazil has always been known for their creative flair and the fluidity of their attacking play.

So far both of these things have been sorely lacking. Mexico gave them all they could handle - and although Mexico is a good team they are not one of the elites. And this was the second unimpressive game Brazil has played. I saw few creative ideas and their finishing was woeful.

Given this, I don't expect them to advance past the round of 16 certainly not past the quarterfinals.

The team that has impressed me most has been Germany. (Duh. Not exactly a brilliant insight.) The Italians also look strong and the Netherlands are solid and have a chance to win any game because they have a striker in Robben with extraordinary ability and another in Van Persie who is always dangerous.

Robbert
06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
The team that has impressed me most has been Germany.

Well, I wasn't impressed at all. My reasons:

Firstly, the penalty was highly debatable.

Secondly, Pepe's red card was the result of some outright drama.

Thirdly, the second half resembled a non-aggression pact.

The team that has impressed me most has been Holland.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 06:57 PM
Me too, Robbert.

After what happened in the 2010 final, I was expecting the worst but they impressed me a lot.

waylander
06-18-2014, 07:16 PM
I know my Dutch brother-in-law is still expecting Holland to implode.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 07:19 PM
They usually do in the second round

Hanson
06-18-2014, 07:26 PM
If Brazil wins their group and the Netherlands wins their group (with Spain in the second slot), that would mean Brazil plays Spain in the R16. I don't think that's favorable at all. I have them going out there in my bracket.
Yes, either Netherlands or Spain will take them out.

I had Spain to top their group and Netherlands second. Still reckon that's the most likely outcome.

Either way, Brazil's journey will end when it meets either of those teams.

(The USA will never meet Russia as far as i remember the 'who will play who in the knockout stage' thingy - unless it's in the final! (see never).

Belgium were a bit shaky, but they should recover.

So again, Final will be Germany v Argentina or Germany V Belgium.

Columbia or Chile might be the shock finalists against, yup...Germany.

You read it here first. lol

Hanson
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
today's Predictions

2-1 to the Netherlands. (Cahil to score again, but only one)

2-1 to Spain

3-0 to Croatia.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I wonder if Helix is watching Aus? It must be about breakfast time where he is.

I wonder how fit Holland are. They are playing in the midday heat.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Tim Cahill's shins of iron are taking out Dutchmen left and right.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:22 PM
1 - 1. Dickens!

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 08:23 PM
That was a superb goal by Cahill! Memories of Hans Krankl

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Now we've just gotta not implode.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Another one. I swear, the Dutch are aiming for Timmy's shins.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Now we've just gotta not implode.

Is 'us' Australia?

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:35 PM
Too roight.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 08:39 PM
I thought so. Just checking!

Your boys should be 3 up by now.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:45 PM
D: ... and he's gone. Fragile Hollandese twig-legs just couldn't withstand the might of his iron shins.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Seriously, though, hope the guy is alright.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 08:49 PM
Here's an interesting scenario. Holland beats Spain, Australia beats (?) Holland, Chile beats Australia, Spain beats Chile??? Then what? What if the other games are all ties? Won on goal difference?

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I think it's goal difference, yeah.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 09:05 PM
It's getting brutal now.

robeiae
06-18-2014, 09:05 PM
Which would put Spain in a world of hurt and the Netherlands in a pretty good spot. That 5-1 shellacking is huge.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Holy balls...

mirandashell
I think a penalty is a bit harsh. It was his back arm.

Albedo

msza45
06-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't see Spain making it out of the group at this point. I'll go with Chile 1 and Netherlands 2

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I don't think I've seen a weirder first week of a World Cup.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
:O 2 - 2. Football isn't meant to be this exciting.

msza45
06-18-2014, 09:18 PM
I can say without question that this has been the best WC I've seen in my life (first one I was aware of was '94). Only 2 ties so far, and the 0-0 Brazil-Mexico match was one of the most exciting games of the tourney!

Generally though, goals are falling like rain in the first week!

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
It is very entertaining! It's just not meant to be this way......

OH just said that the way this is going it could be Iran v Australia in the final! :D

msza45
06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
3-2 Neders!

It would be awesome to see any team outside of UEFA and CONMEBOL make a deep run.

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 09:28 PM
Not sure you can blame the keeper for that last one. The ball swerved like a mad bastard.

robeiae
06-18-2014, 09:43 PM
I don't see Spain making it out of the group at this point. I'll go with Chile 1 and Netherlands 2

Imo, it's basically gonna come down to the Spain/Chile match if the current scoreline holds. Because I don't think Australia can repeat today's performance against Spain, especially since Cahill won't be able to play. If Chile loses to Spain, they'd need to really beat the Netherlands soundly, who could just go into a shell.

I think it's gonna be the Netherlands 1 and Spain 2.

Albedo
06-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Yup.

msza45
06-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Imo, it's basically gonna come down to the Spain/Chile match if the current scoreline holds.

Yeah, Spain-Chile is shaping up to be a good one.

I think that even if Spain beats Chile, they'll be frantic to get goals against the Socceroos and will end up screwing themlseves. They are not a prolific scoring team, and playing out of their comfort zone to produce more offense will cause careless mistakes.

waylander
06-18-2014, 11:52 PM
2-0 to Chile at half-time. Spain looking as poor as they did against Holland, even England would beat them on this form. They've got a mountain to climb in the second half if they're not going out.

robeiae
06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Shocking. There goes my bracket... :D

mirandashell
06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
This is a bit mad, innit?

Euros, World Cup, Euros then out in the first round? After two games? Who'da thunk?

rugcat
06-19-2014, 09:32 AM
I officially give up. I have no idea what's going to happen in future matches with anyone.

Anyone want to take a flyer on the upcoming Chile/Netherlands game?

I do feel bad for the Aussies, though. They played two very strong games and got no points to show for it.

Hanson
06-19-2014, 01:10 PM
I officially give up. I have no idea what's going to happen in future matches with anyone.

Anyone want to take a flyer on the upcoming Chile/Netherlands game?

I do feel bad for the Aussies, though. They played two very strong games and got no points to show for it.
Re Chile/Netherlands - Well they both got nothing to gain, and everything to lose (ie injured players) so...it'll be a draw.

Yes the Aussies were unlucky against Chile, not so much against Netherlands, but they did play well, fair dinkum. Like Ireland, Japan, Sth Korea, Russia and the USA, soccer is about third or fourth down their hierarchy of popular sports played in Oz.

Some crazy results, esp Spain. Still the top few wont change. Of the 8 qtr finalists, it should be 3 LA, 3 European 1 African and 2 'other'.

mind you, still pretty early.

waylander
06-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Re Chile/Netherlands - Well they both got nothing to gain, and everything to lose (ie injured players) so...it'll be a draw.

Not entirely true. If they draw Chile get to play Brazil (which could be a very interesting match) while Holland get a relatively easier match.

mirandashell
06-19-2014, 02:17 PM
I was thinking that. They will both want to be top of the group I reckon.

Hanson
06-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Not entirely true. If they draw Chile get to play Brazil (which could be a very interesting match) while Holland get a relatively easier match.
Yes, of course.

Still, a 1-1 draw I'd say. Netherlands are pretty much guaranteed top spot. (unless, lol, they lose to Chile, which, in this WC, is not impossible!)

mirandashell
06-19-2014, 03:13 PM
The way it's going, it seems quite likely!

robeiae
06-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Looking back on Spain, it seems that the first game--against the Netherlands--actually did indicate that Casillas was not ready to play. Whether or not his career is headed downhill remains to be seen, but he certainly didn't play either game like a top flight keeper.

And you know, I'm no fan of Spain (mostly because my father in law is a huge fan), but I'm a little ticked off at del Bosque. I don't think he made very good decisions, substitute-wise. I like Torres, but he is just not scoring. He works hard, but Spain needed goals. Why take Costa off? He needed better services. Mata was sitting on the bench. And why wait so long to make changes? It was obvious ten minutes into the second half that Spain was coming undone, imo.

I hope Spain starts Mata, Cazorla, and de Gea (if he can go) in the last game, because I'm thinking--yes, it's Monday morning quarterbacking--that all three should have been on the pitch at the start of game two.

Gah.

msza45
06-19-2014, 11:15 PM
Hoping England-Uruguay will live up to the hype. Two traditional powers fighting for their lives. Good stuff!

mirandashell
06-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Feck. Chomper just scored.

waylander
06-19-2014, 11:48 PM
This is not looking good. England have no penetration.

robeiae
06-19-2014, 11:57 PM
This is not looking good. England have no penetration.

*shakes head sadly*

It's just like my wedding night...

msza45
06-20-2014, 12:25 AM
England has had better chances this half. But as of now, this one has been decided by the singular effort of the most talented guy on the field. That header was unreal.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 12:35 AM
Rooney, finally! That will be a weight off his mind whether we win or not.

waylander
06-20-2014, 12:57 AM
Very disappointing. For all the talk of the pace in England's side, they did not use it. Created very few real chances and then didn't take them.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 01:02 AM
TBF though, I think the only people in the whole world who thought England would get out of that group were the media.

robeiae
06-20-2014, 01:34 AM
England has had better chances this half. But as of now, this one has been decided by the singular effort of the most talented guy on the field.
And in the end, it still was (decided by Saurez). I still can't stand him, but he's simply playing at a different level than almost everyone else in the world right now.

Can't fault Joe Hart for either goal, imo. And England did create some good chances. It's a shame, because it was a real good game. England might have beaten Italy if they had played such a game earlier. And they'd still have a chance to move on.

rugcat
06-20-2014, 04:06 AM
I also think it was tough luck for England on that second goal. Suarez was standing 5 yards offside when the ball came in, so they weren't paying much attention to him. But when the ball glanced off the top of Gerard's head and landed at his feet, there was no offsides and no one near him.

But Uruguay had other chances too and in the end, they deserved to win.

waylander
06-20-2014, 01:28 PM
What made the difference is that one side had a truly world-class striker who delivered and the other had a striker who is unrealistically claimed to be world-class and didn't deliver.

Hanson
06-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Well commiserations to England.

Huge game now 'tween Italy and CRica.

Gonna be very tight.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I love Italy but I'm glad CR got that goal cos they should have got that stone cold penalty.

Hanson
06-20-2014, 10:11 PM
I love Italy but I'm glad CR got that goal cos they should have got that stone cold penalty.
Yes, justified win for CR. Thought it would be 1-1. (glad i closed my gambling a/c :))

I had Italy to top their group, Uruguay second in my wall chart. ah well.

Still, wont affect the final outcome too much.

Hanson
06-20-2014, 10:13 PM
most likely a draw 'tween France and Switzerland.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 10:22 PM
I had Italy to top their group, Uruguay second in my wall chart. ah well.

So did everyone else!

robeiae
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I had Uruguay on top, Italy second. But that's no better unless England crushes Costa Rica in the final game and Uruguay beats Italy.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 10:45 PM
England crushes Costa Rica

:ROFL:

Nah!

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Costa Rica have 6 points so they are through. Italy and Uruguay are fighting for the last spot.

And they don't do goal difference in ties any more. If you're on the same points, it comes down to whether you beat that team in the group games or not. And as CR beat both Italy and Uruguay, they are through top of the group.

robeiae
06-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Costa Rica have 6 points so they are through. Italy and Uruguay are fighting for the last spot.

And they don't do goal difference in ties any more. If you're on the same points, it comes down to whether you beat that team in the group games or not. And as CR beat both Italy and Uruguay, they are through top of the group.

I don't think so. Every thing I've seen still has goal difference as the first tiebreaker for teams with the same point total.

Costa Rica is through because Italy and Uruguay cannot both finish with six points. But if either beats the other in the last match and Costa Rica loses, there will be a tie and goal differential will decide who wins the group.

mirandashell
06-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Hmmm.... I really don't think it is, you know. OH said they haven't done it on goal difference first for years.

Anyway... that eye injury looks bad. I hope he's ok.

ETA: My apologies Rob. You are right, it is goal difference. Don't know where OH got that from!

waylander
06-21-2014, 12:04 AM

Not the way it is heading. 3-0 to France at half-time

Hanson
06-21-2014, 12:54 AM
em...

:mothership:

mirandashell
06-21-2014, 12:55 AM
You're 0 for 5 now, aren't you?

Hanson
06-21-2014, 01:22 AM
You're 0 for 5 now, aren't you?

lol, what??

no, no.

Got the RESULT wrong on two for sure, but not the winning sides.
;)

(correct score is man with blindfold shooting blunt arrows at a shadow)

Hanson
06-21-2014, 01:28 AM
Daring to suggest Italy V CR would be a 'tight game', that alone would put me in the genius category, considering the world ratings of both and the general expert punditry on the outcome.

waylander
06-21-2014, 01:59 AM
And your prediction for England v CR?
Will England finally break out and play thrilling flowing attacking football or will they again slump into a dank pool of mediocrity and incompetence?

robeiae
06-21-2014, 02:08 AM
France could have easily put more in the net. I was happy to see Giroud in there. He had a great game. The third goal that he set up was just awesome. He cleared the Swiss corner in the box, then ended up down the field, past everyone. I thought he was supposed to be too slow...

Hanson
06-21-2014, 02:08 AM
And your prediction for England v CR?
Will England finally break out and play thrilling flowing attacking football or will they again slump into a dank pool of mediocrity and incompetence?
Well the Premier League and similar Leagues through-out Europe has done a lot of damage to National teams, esp England. such is the nature of things.

I think Rooney is a very good player, despite the press, but he has lost his vitality a bit, for sure.

Anyway, against CR?

Well CR are going through.

And, despite Robiae's quaint suggestion, England's WC journey is over.

So...

It's possible England will get a win against CR. Definitely.

robeiae
06-21-2014, 02:12 AM
You never know how teams who have been knocked out are gonna respond.

I just hope England puts Lallana, Milner, and Rooney all on the pitch. I'd like to see those guys have a go together.

rugcat
06-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Costa Rica has really impressed me. It's not just that they won, they outplayed both Uruguay and Italy, and that's no mean feat for a team with only two players currently playing in major soccer leagues like the Premier league and Serie A.

So far the US, Mexico, and Costa Rica, all CONCACAF teams that get no respect on the world stage, are showing surprising strength.

France looks good, but so far their competition has been a bit weak. It's hard to say how they'll perform against a real challenge.

mirandashell
06-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Arg v iran - nil nil at half time! Who'd a thunk? Well done Iran!

robeiae
06-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Argentina is beyond lucky to walk out of there with three points. I think Iran deserved a penalty shot earlier and certainly had some real good scoring chances. Every ball Dejagah delivered into the box was a threat today. Great play on his part. And the Iranian keeper probably earned himself a little jingle today, as well.

That said...Messi. Wow.

mirandashell
06-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I was so sorry for Iran. They did not deserve to lose that game. Such a shame.

mirandashell
06-21-2014, 11:46 PM
This is good fun:

http://www.minimalsworld.net/BrazilName/brazilian.shtml

What's your Brasilian name?

mirandashell
06-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Ok, this is now officially the weirdest World Cup ever! I have no idea who is going to be in the Final, never mind win it!

mirandashell
06-22-2014, 12:30 AM
Ah feck they equalized.

robeiae
06-22-2014, 12:58 AM
In a World Cup where nothing seems certain, there is indeed one certainty:

Klose scores goals.

mirandashell
06-22-2014, 12:59 AM
Oh no he doesn't! Well, he did score the one. But he missed three! LOL!

That was an amazing game. My heart was in my mouth for the last 20 mins. Well done Ghana!

rugcat
06-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Ghana played a great game. I was actually rooting for Germany, because the US needs all the help they can get. If Germany had won, a US tie with Portugal would probably have seen them through. Now they really need to win that game.

But on the other hand it's hard to root against Ghana with the way they were playing.

One thing I have noticed. The elite teams (or maybe the so-called delete teams is a better description) have been assuming they would win games. They're sitting back playing measured, control football, with no sense of urgency. And they're running up against teams that really want to win.

It's happened to Italy. It almost happened to Argentina. And it almost happened to Germany.

The Germans laid back, played control ball, made the safe pass, waiting for an opportunity. Ghana was pressuring at every opportunity and occasionally forcing the Germans into error.

Ghana's second goal came about when a German player stood there waiting to receive a pass instead of meeting it. A Ghanian player swept and intercepted it and started the run that resulted in the goal. And that, to me, was the story of the match; the Germans casually waiting for the ball to come to them; the Ghanians swooping in aggressively to meet it.

robeiae
06-22-2014, 04:21 PM
The Germans laid back, played control ball, made the safe pass, waiting for an opportunity. Ghana was pressuring at every opportunity and occasionally forcing the Germans into error.

Ghana's second goal came about when a German player stood there waiting to receive a pass instead of meeting it. A Ghanian player swept and intercepted it and started the run that resulted in the goal. And that, to me, was the story of the match; the Germans casually waiting for the ball to come to them; the Ghanians swooping in aggressively to meet it.Good observation.

But it seemed to me that this all changed when Schweinsteiger came in. Which I think is fascinating, how the collection of quality players on the German side responded almost in fear (it seemed to me) to Schweinsteiger's barking and scowling.

And this kinda supports what Prince Boateng said before the match (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jun/20/kevin-prince-boateng-ghana-germany), about the German side lacking leadership and character, while also contradicting it since Boateng singled out Schweinsteiger.

Good stuff.

mirandashell
06-22-2014, 08:03 PM
Nigeria played pretty well in the late game too. I watched the second half this morning and felt for Dzeko as he had a lot of chances but just could not score one. But I was well impressed with Nigera.

mirandashell
06-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Oops.

The US need to get a grip of the ball and calm the fuck down. They are way better than this.

mirandashell
06-23-2014, 02:17 AM
This is better.

Robbert
06-23-2014, 03:46 AM
I hope USA vs Portugal doesn't end in a draw ... cuz this would mean a draw in the game USA vs Germany will see them both go through. Boring!

10 minutes left, currently 1:1

Go Portugal, go!

Go USA, go!

While writing, 2:1! Great stuff!!

Lord of Chaos
06-23-2014, 04:00 AM
God how frickin disapointing. Had a trip to the knock out round in hand and gave it away in the final seconds. Nice job Portugal, but man the US should have had that.

Phoebs
06-23-2014, 04:12 AM
AHHHHH!!!! SO CLOSE

robeiae
06-23-2014, 04:31 PM
I thought the U.S. played really, really well. The first goal they gave up was the real problem here. That goal in the last minute--while heartbreaking--was pretty spectacular stuff.

Bradley had a much better game last night and boy, did it show. Zusi played well, too. I think the U.S. is gonna feel pretty good going into the last game, which I expect to be a ninety minute snooze-fest.

rugcat
06-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I thought the U.S. played really, really well. The first goal they gave up was the real problem here. That goal in the last minute--while heartbreaking--was pretty spectacular stuff.

Bradley had a much better game last night and boy, did it show. Zusi played well, too. I think the U.S. is gonna feel pretty good going into the last game, which I expect to be a ninety minute snooze-fest. Zusi played well, Bedoya not so much. Perfect time to have had Landon Donovan in the game.

US played a good game, but at that level mistakes are usually punished severely, and they were.

I don't think the Germany game will be a snooze fest. If the US lose, there's a real opening for Ghana to beat Portugal and go through. So if the US goes down a goal early, they will be desperate to either defend or, more importantly, at least get a goal back. I believe both games are being played simultaneously which means there won't be any result to look at and adjust tactical play accordingly.

mirandashell
06-23-2014, 08:39 PM
But if Germany and US play a nil nil draw, it doesn't matter who wins out of Ghana and Portugal. So tatically it's the safest thing for them to do. But after what happened in 1982, I doubt they will. Germany's reputation still hasn't really recovered yet.

waylander
06-23-2014, 10:26 PM
So Holland march on. I think Chile could give Brazil serious trouble i nthe first knockout round

msza45
06-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Thursday will be interesting for sure.

Germany is a) undoubtedly the better team, and b) 99% sure to advance regardless of Thursday's result. I think the USA would agree to play for a tie, but I'm not sure about Germany. I don't think they'll put their reputation at stake to play for a draw against a team they'd probably beat 7-8 times out of ten. This fixed draw speculation is just wishful thinking from Americans.

If Ghana beats Portugal, chances are very good that we are going home.

robeiae
06-23-2014, 11:54 PM
But if Germany and US play a nil nil draw, it doesn't matter who wins out of Ghana and Portugal. So tatically it's the safest thing for them to do. But after what happened in 1982, I doubt they will. Germany's reputation still hasn't really recovered yet.Right, a draw puts both through with the Germans in the top spot.

I don't think both sides will just shut down, but neither will be willing to sacrifice defense for the sake of a possible goal, unless they fall behind.

I just don't see a lot of wide open play; I see a defensive game likely decided--or not--by set pieces.

mirandashell
06-23-2014, 11:58 PM
So Holland march on. I think Chile could give Brazil serious trouble i nthe first knockout round

But Brasil are Chile's bogey team. I don't think they beaten them in their last 20 matches.

robeiae
06-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Good games yesterday, especially Mexico/Croatia (though the refereeing sucked, yet again).

Big game today: Uruguay/Italy. Someone is going home very unhappy...

mirandashell
06-24-2014, 09:49 PM
I see Chomper is up to his old tricks.

Adults that bite other adults with no provocation usually end up in some kind of mental institution. Obviously things are different when you're a footballer.

aruna
06-24-2014, 10:13 PM
OK; I don't watch the World Cup but I do follow the results and enjoy the whole politics of it. Living in Germany of course the heat is up over here. I was wondering about the outcome of the USA - Germany match on Thursday as I don't really understand the politics of it all, but I found this on a German-expat site I frequent and thought it might be interesting to other Idiots like myself:

-- If the U.S. wins: The Americans are through to the next round as the winners of Group G and will play the second place team from Group H. (Belgium currently leads Group H, followed by Algeria, Russia and South Korea)

--- Germany would finish second unless Ghana or Portugal won and passed Germany on goal differential. Germany currently is plus 4, Ghana is minus 1 and Portugal is minus 4. The second place finisher plays the winner of Group H.

--- If Germany wins: Germany wins the group.

--- The U.S. would finish second unless Ghana or Portugal won and passed the U.S. on goal differential. The U.S. is plus 1, Ghana is minus 1 and Portugal is minus 4. So, if the U.S. loses to Germany, it will be rooting for Portugal, because it's less likely that Portugal could pass the U.S. on goal differential.

---- If Germany and the U.S. draw: Germany wins the group and the U.S. finishes second. The result of the other game is meaningless.

--- If Ghana and Portugal draw: The U.S. and Germany advance. Germany wins the group unless the U.S. defeats them.

--- Other tiebreakers: In any of these scenarios involving goal differential, if two teams are tied on points and goal differential, the next tiebreaker is total goals scored. Germany has six goals, the U.S. has four, Ghana has three and Portugal has two.

mirandashell
06-24-2014, 10:25 PM
The politics basically goes like this: The safest way for Germany and USA to go through is to play for a draw. Plus the managers of both clubs are German.....

BUT

The last time Germany did that was in 1982 with Austria to put Algeria out. And it was obvious from the play that they had fixed it to be a 0-0 draw. Germany's reputation still hasn't really recovered from that.

Me personally, I don't see Germany doing that again. But who knows? What are people saying about in Germany?

msza45
06-24-2014, 10:28 PM
Glad to see Uruguay win as I picked them over Germany in the finals, but wow, Suarez is a nutcase. If he gets suspended ...there goes my bracket.

robeiae
06-24-2014, 10:34 PM
It's just unbelievable, that Saurez would do this yet again. I agree that there's probably something wrong him, but he knew what he did and after he did it, he went down grabbing his face, as if he had been elbowed or the like.

He should have been ejected and the Italians were clearly unsettled by the incident.

It's one thing for this to happen in club football, but in a make or break game at the World Cup? There's really no fair way to address it, imo.

aruna
06-24-2014, 10:37 PM
Me personally, I don't see Germany doing that again. But who knows? What are people saying about in Germany?

Well, I follow ex-pat-chat more than German chat about it but nobody believes Germany will go for a draw. People seem to think they will go all out.

msza45
06-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Yeah. Retroactive suspensions don't seem to happen very often in World Cups though. Who knows. They'll probably have to have good evidence that it really was a bite, although it seems pretty clear that it was.

mirandashell
06-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Well, I follow ex-pat-chat more than German chat about it but nobody believes Germany will go for a draw. People seem to think they will go all out.

Wouldn't surprise me. Only fair way to play.

Hanson
06-24-2014, 11:42 PM
Quite amazing with all the money involved that Suarez hasn't received therapy - or if he has that it is so ineffective.

FIFA are going to 'investigate' which most likely means he's out of the WC for 2014.

Re Germany, they'll play like they always do, to win. They might rest a few key players near the end, so it might just be 3-0. USA still might get through though.

Of course, this WC is chock full of shock (choc-a-shock) so....

mirandashell
06-24-2014, 11:44 PM
The thing with therapy though is that they can't make him attend it. If he thinks there's nothing wrong with him, why would he?

Hanson
06-24-2014, 11:52 PM
The thing with therapy though is that they can't make him attend it. If he thinks there's nothing wrong with him, why would he?
Oh I think he knows on one level for sure. It's admitting it to himself is the difficulty. He lost his playing confidence from that moment on. He knows the potential cost as well. And to me, he looked devastated - despite his quick cover reflect suggesting he was elbowed.

He had very little to gain from that act, and everything to lose. I don't see it as 'choice'. I think it's pretty deep-seated and beyond rational control - for the moment at least.

BC therapy has made some good inroads into behavior change. I wonder if he's attended any therapy though.

msza45
06-24-2014, 11:55 PM
I think he just thought he could get away with it, and get under some Italian skin (no pun intended). And it may have worked. The Italians did seem to lose focus, and Uruguay scored a minute later.

This may have been the 2014 edition of his handball against Ghana.

mirandashell
06-24-2014, 11:57 PM
Hanson - Well that's what I'm thinking. If he says to himself 'it's not my fault, he wound me up' then that gives him justification in his own mind for his actions. And remember, how entitled top sportsmen feel. They can get away with things that your normal person would be in jail for. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if he hasn't attended any.

And remember, he is worth a lot of money to his club so they won't want to push him either. As long as he keeps playing the way he does they will cover for him just the way they did the first time.

Msza - I genuinely think he has no impulse control. And I think he did get hit in the teeth but that's no surprise. Anyone would jerk their arm when someone sinks their teeth into it.

Hanson
06-25-2014, 12:02 AM
Yes, I understand those viewpoints.

But for me, if it is a conscious, 'rational' act, then it involves cost versus benefit.

Here the cost is way to high. I think saying the benefit - a win, is an after the fact statement. Suarez didn't know what the outcome of his action would be. The most probable was a red card.

No, to me, it is an irrational compulsion.

msza45
06-25-2014, 12:13 AM
I think professional athletes are keenly aware that a little 'extracurricular' contact can sway the focus of the other team. It was desperate, but not irrational, IMO.

I also wonder if he did it to try to draw a penalty for the inevitable elbow that would follow. It's unquestionably dirty, but I would say that in a win-or-go-home World Cup game, it isn't the most unintelligent strategy in the 80th minute.

mirandashell
06-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Yes, but that's usually a soft headbut or an elbow or a little kick behind the knee. Often happens.

But to bite someone? That's what toddlers do. And that's why I think he has no impulse control. Only children bite each other without provocation.

robeiae
06-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Ivory Coast gave up a bad goal to Greece. The afternoon just got interesting.

mellymel
06-25-2014, 03:34 AM
Yes, but that's usually a soft headbut or an elbow or a little kick behind the knee. Often happens.

But to bite someone? That's what toddlers do. And that's why I think he has no impulse control. Only children bite each other without provocation.

I completely agree with this. Biting is just NOT something "normal" adult people do unless they are in a life and death/survival situation. It was just so...odd. And then when I saw the videos of him doing it to a couple of other players during different games, I got a really sick feeling in my stomach. Like something is just really off with him. It looked like he literally couldn't control himself and just...did it.

rugcat
06-25-2014, 04:29 AM
Somewhat overlooked amid all the flashing of teeth is the totally unexpected result of Costa Rica winning this group. I don't think anyone could have seen that one coming.

Go Ticos, I say.

And for those of you who don't visit PC&E forum, I explained the Suarez incident there.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8942713&postcount=29

Stacia Kane
06-25-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm not a big soccer girl, but this has been an amazing World Cup. We started watching on a whim, really, and are now pretty caught up in it all. Italy out?! Costa Rica?! Iran holds off Argentina for 93 minutes?!!

Also, the sweet little hottie who fixes my car smashed his hand through a window when England lost last week.

*heads off to P&CE for Suarez discussion*

msza45
06-25-2014, 06:28 PM
Somewhat overlooked amid all the flashing of teeth is the totally unexpected result of Costa Rica winning this group. I don't think anyone could have seen that one coming.

Go Ticos, I say.

And now the Ticos get Greece in the Round of 16. In their current form, they should be favored to make the quarterfinals!

The U.S. will almost definitely play Belgium if it advances. Belgium haven't looked like the dark horse some have predicted. It could be a winnable game as well. But that's getting ahead of things...

mirandashell
06-25-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm supporting Iran this afternoon. They were unlucky against Argentina.

msza45
06-25-2014, 08:44 PM
IMO Bosnia has been the best team with zero points to show for it.

robeiae
06-26-2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1913701/luis-suarez-banned-for-four-months

"The player Luis Suarez is to be suspended for nine official matches. The first match of this suspension is to be served in the upcoming FIFA World Cup fixture between Colombia and Uruguay.

"The remaining match suspensions shall be served in Uruguay's next FIFA World Cup matches, as long as the team qualifies, and/or in the representative team's subsequent official matches.

"The player is banned from taking part in any kind of football-related activity -- administrative, sports or any other -- for a period of four months. A stadium ban is pronounced against Luis Suarez, who is prohibited from entering the confines of any stadium during the period of the ban."

Suarez was also ordered to pay a fine of 100,000 Swiss francs.
I guess maybe we'll be seeing Diego Forlan...

mirandashell
06-26-2014, 06:26 PM
We'll see if that stands up to appeal....

The US game looks like it's going to be called off due to torrential rain.

msza45
06-26-2014, 07:18 PM
The US game looks like it's going to be called off due to torrential rain.

What I'm reading, through google search, is that the USA game is scheduled to proceed on time. But I'm not seeing when that decision was made.

mirandashell
06-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I saw that too. I'm guessing that as long as the teams and refs can get there, they will play it. With or without the crowd.

robeiae
06-26-2014, 07:32 PM
Supposedly, the pitch was checked thirty minutes ago and since there's been no announcement since then, the game must be going on as scheduled.

aruna
06-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Why are you calling this the US game??? This is CLEARLY the Germany game! ;)

Going upstairs to watch it with my landlady/landlord.

Hanson
06-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Well Portugal should win this one, which will leave the USA going through, unless Portugal win by a huge margin.

The USA will prob get at least one goal, even if Portugal do pull off some sort of em, Netherlands, type deal, they'll get through.

Of course, if Ghana win.....with 2 or 3 goals...:cry:

msza45
06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Let's hope the most interesting stuff with Ghana continues to happen off the field. A plane filled with millions of dollars flown over for the players at the last minute, players assaulting their own staff, speculation of match-fixing. It's like a movie.

Then again, Ghana has a preternatural ability to knock the US out of the World Cup.

mirandashell
06-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Why are you calling this the US game??? This is CLEARLY the Germany game! ;)

Going upstairs to watch it with my landlady/landlord.

My apologies, Aruna! :D

Hanson
06-26-2014, 08:51 PM
It's actually the NON-EXISTENT game.

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Can't get the other match....

Hanson
06-26-2014, 08:52 PM
(not saying there's naughtiness afoot, just ultra-caution by both sides)

msza45
06-26-2014, 08:55 PM
Each team has definitely had a chance or two though, and they didn't back away from it.

Hanson
06-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Each team has definitely had a chance or two though, and they didn't back away from it.
Yeah, so did my

:granny:

mirandashell
06-26-2014, 09:18 PM
It's actually the NON-EXISTENT game.

:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:

Can't get the other match....

Are you sure you're watching the right game? I wouldn't call this dull.

mirandashell
06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
I think you should be saying a great big thank you to Cristiano Ronaldo right about now.....

waylander
06-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Well done, USA.

msza45
06-26-2014, 10:16 PM
Now the question is whether Altidore will play.

Hanson
06-27-2014, 12:56 AM
Great Game Sth Korea and Belgium

Belgium down to ten men..

I've Belgium to top, SK to come second in this group.

IF SK win, and Russia win as is, that should be the result.
here's hoping...

mirandashell
06-27-2014, 01:10 AM
Korea would have to win 3-0, wouldn't they?

Hanson
06-27-2014, 02:35 AM
In all fairness that really was some of the weakest attacking play I've ever seen. Ever.

SK need to bring in more expertise if they intend to return to the world stage.

They have the rest - in spades, but no sense of forward play, especially when gifted a player reduced opponent.

I dont think I've actually ever seen a team play a second half who I could say with utter conviction, would not score a single goal before the final whistle, and against TEN opponents. (After watching them for 20 mins in the 2nd half)

When Belgium had 11 men, Sth Korea played a solid game.

When the pressure of opportunity knocked oh so loudly, they froze. A stunning example of the power of mind, a mind in this case frozen with fear and the pressure of expectation.

Xelebes
06-28-2014, 12:10 AM
Algeria should be congratulated for what they did yesterday. First time ever.

I think the ball design has been exceptional this year. Looks like strikers have a lot more control of the ball, which is a good thing.