Refusing an offer of representation?

foamhands

pro-stars, pro-sky
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the etiquette/ethics and offers of representation. My manuscript is out to a few agents (a good mix, including Dream Agent.) An agent who was at the bottom of my list has responded with an offer. I was excited at first, but, after the initial correspondence, I am less so. I will not accept this offer, for many reasons. My question is, though, should I still reach out to the desirable agents who have my manuscript and tell them that I have an offer? I don't want to rush anyone--especially Dream Agent--into rejecting my project. So, do I politely refuse unwanted agent and keep quiet about it, or send out those I-have-an-offer emails?

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I'll be honest-- there are definitely times I simply pass on something when it has an offer on it, even though there's real potential I was interested, becuase I don't have time, or i really do like it but think it needs some tweaks, and figure the offering agent simply feels more strongly about it.

I would politely decline the offer and simply wait. I am sure others will say to use the opportunity to get a faster read, but there ARE some risks, and provided the other agents have a reputation for actually reading/responding to all fulls, I do think you run the risk of losing the interest.

ericalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I mean, technically there's no reason to rush the other agents who have the project, if you're not considering the agent that offered. If I were in that situation, I would politely decline the offering agent, and continue letting the other agents consider it at their own speed.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I agree with Mandy and Ericalynn. I notified my dream agent of an offer, and she declined within two days, so I accepted the first offer grudgingly. Later, after that agent didn't work out, I emailed the dream agent again on the off-chance she might like to reconsider. I partly wondered if she even had time to read the manuscript before declining. She jumped at the chance to read it again, and it ultimately led to an offer.

So yeah, I think rushing the read could work against you. And if the dream agent already has your full, you've already accomplished the hardest part (getting in the door).

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
I'm anticipating being in the same situation soon, and I'm having trouble letting go of the idea that informing other (better) agents who are currently reading is a bad idea. I've read the thread, but... for one thing, I've told quite a few that I would report any offers (without caveats). Also, doesn't this professional interest by one indicate a potential increase in value to all? Suppose I could negotiate with the less desirable agent who's offerring representation to give the others 3 weeks or something? Would that tip the scales?
It's hard for me to be objective since, like everyone else, I'm tired of waiting.

WonderCat

Registered
Reaction score
Also, doesn't this professional interest by one indicate a potential increase in value to all?

When I got my offer, I informed the other agents who were reading and gave a standard one-week deadline. One bowed out right before the deadline because she just hadn't had time to read. One other said she liked the manuscript but it would have been an R&R for her, so she was stepping aside (the was a great agent that I would have happily done an R&R for if I hadn't had other interest).

Now, none of this was a problem for me, but if I hadn't had an offer I was happy with on the table, I would have lost out on a read from one (great) agent and an R&R from another for nothing.

I understand the frustration of waiting, but I think in the long run you'll be better off.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I agree. I've increasingly heard agents say a week isn't long enough for them to read and make a decision so they often just pass. I've been considering asking for two weeks instead of one of I'm ever lucky enough to be in that situation (I mean an offer with others reading, not an offer from an agent I'm not comfortable with cause that's not lucky)

Either way, it's really not worth it to push your luck.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
So the amount of time you give the still-reading agents -- and their busyness in relation to that -- is the key element? I get that. If they pass because they feel rushed... well, that's certainly shooting yourself in the foot, isn't it?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I'm going to be the butthead in the crowd and tell you about my recent experience.

I told an agent I needed a decision by the next day because I had an offer to publish and had already been looking for an agent for a week. I told her there was another agent reading the manuscript. She made an offer the same day.

The week before, I had also told one publisher that another publisher had made an offer. They made an offer the same day.

So if agents and/or publishers are impressed enough with what they see, they can be faster than a caffeinated squirrel in a nut factory. But I've been looking for an agent since 2009, so my story is probably atypical.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I'm going to be the butthead in the crowd and tell you about my recent experience.

I told an agent I needed a decision by the next day because I had an offer to publish and had already been looking for an agent for a week. I told her there was another agent reading the manuscript. She made an offer the same day.

The week before, I had also told one publisher that another publisher had made an offer. They made an offer the same day.

So if agents and/or publishers are impressed enough with what they see, they can be faster than a caffeinated squirrel in a nut factory. But I've been looking for an agent since 2009, so my story is probably atypical.

I've offered in under 24 hours before too. But it's not typical and it depends on where my workload is. MOST of the time I simply cannot drop everything to read, no matter how wowed I am. A full MS takes 3-5 hours to read, which is half or more of the work day and I do have a client list.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I've offered in under 24 hours before too. But it's not typical and it depends on where my workload is. MOST of the time I simply cannot drop everything to read, no matter how wowed I am. A full MS takes 3-5 hours to read, which is half or more of the work day and I do have a client list.

I think it's awesome that you take time to answer questions on here. It's appreciated.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I would never, under any circumstances, query an agent that I might turn down, but if I did find myself in your shoes, I'd definitely tell the other agents in a heartbeat, as long as the agent who made the offer is reasonably well-known agent with a good track record for selling books.

Why on earth wouldn't you tell them?

I definitely would not put a time limit on it as other have done. There is no such thing as a standard timeline for this. It takes as long as it takes, and I'd instantly reject a writer who said I had one day, or one week.

Agents aren't stupid, and they'll get to your manuscript and give you an answer as fast as they can when you tell them you have an offer. Putting a time limit on it is both meaningless, and shows a lack of respect.

But you darned sure should inform them that yu have an offer, and that you are considering it. You'll hear from any interested agent quickly.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
I would never, under any circumstances, query an agent that I might turn down

I presume that this person THOUGHT the agent would be a good fit, but when they actually had the conversation, they realized they had wildly different visions for the book. It happens, rarely. If this is the case, and you KNOW you don't want to work with them - just turn them down.

I'd definitely tell the other agents in a heartbeat, as long as the agent who made the offer is reasonably well-known agent with a good track record for selling books.

Why on earth wouldn't you tell them?

If you KNOW you aren't going to accept -- why on earth WOULD you tell the other agents? Like -- it isn't impetus for them to read quickly if you know for a fact that you would never go with that agent.

I definitely would not put a time limit on it as other have done. There is no such thing as a standard timeline for this. It takes as long as it takes, and I'd instantly reject a writer who said I had one day, or one week.

This is just. plain. wrong. There IS a pretty standard timeline for this -- I'd say 7-10 days (or two weeks IF there is a major holiday or something in there) -- is totally appropriate. Nobody would bat an eye at this -- but I'd only do it IF YOU ACTUALLY HAVE AN OFFER YOU ARE CONSIDERING ACCEPTING.

Agents aren't stupid, and they'll get to your manuscript and give you an answer as fast as they can when you tell them you have an offer. Putting a time limit on it is both meaningless, and shows a lack of respect.

Agents aren't stupid - but they are F**KING BUSY, and can "back burner" things if there isn't a sense of urgency or a distinct timeline. I think it is actually QUITE disrespectful to the offering agent if you DON'T give the others a specific timeline. What is she supposed to do, just hang around randomly dangling while everyone else takes their sweet time? Why is the OFFERING agent being punished for being timely?

But you darned sure should inform them that yu have an offer, and that you are considering it. You'll hear from any interested agent quickly.

Sure -- but again, if the OP is NOT GOING TO TAKE THE OFFER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES -- why would they do this? Yes, "quickly" - but it is more likely to be a pass than not.

Again, I point toward my recent blog post:
http://literaticat.blogspot.com/2014/06/all-about-offer-etiquette-and-how-to.html