Images in novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would check their EULA on how you can use the images. Granted, they let you use them for the brochures, flyers, postcards, etc., you create using it but if you're talking about a larger work such as a novel, I'd check.

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Possibly, if you save them as a common image file format, some of which Publisher apparently does export to (I'm assuming that you've a. either created the image yourself or dealt with all copyright concerns and b. asked your publisher, if any, whether they'll let you put images in at all). Print book or ebook, and if the latter, what format?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Ask Microsoft. They're probably the only place where you can get a definitive answer.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
If you mean an image supplied by Publisher, check the EULA. But images imported into Pub depends on the ownership of the image, not Microsoft.

To go beyond the original question, there are billions of images on the web.

Images on many U.S. government web sites are public domain, though you need to double-check that on the particular site and image. Those you can massage and crop and otherwise use in any way you want.

Wikimedia.org also has many such images. It also has images which are usable as long as you fulfill the Creative Commons License for that image. This may (or may not) including giving credit for the image, and giving credit in a certain way. I only use those which may be credited in a Credits frontispiece.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, after trolling through pages of FAQ's I think I'll give it a try freehand. :-0
Use an experienced, professional, children's book illustrator. Really.

Simply referencing Microsoft Publisher indicates you do not have the skill, knowledge or abilities to do the work on your own.

Jeff

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The short answer is always, "If you don't know, don't use the image."

Finchlark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.finchlark.webs.com
Simply referencing Microsoft Publisher indicates you do not have the skill, knowledge or abilities to do the work on your own.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely don't have the skills or abilities but I'll give it a go and if it doesn't work then I haven't lost much. (It's not an illustrated book, just wanted a few images to break up the text.)

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're using images that you didn't create yourself, then you'll definitely need to make sure that you have the right to use them in a commercial work.

Another thing to keep in mind: if you're planning to distribute the book in ebook form at all, be aware that images may not show up the same, or as well, in all different formats/on different devices. For example, color images might look striking on a tablet or a Kindle Fire, but are going to be black and white and possibly muted on a regular Kindle with an e-paper display.

Status
Not open for further replies.