PDA

View Full Version : Fanfic being sold on Amazon as "parody"

Cyia
06-11-2014, 07:43 AM
I've been following EvilWylie on Twitter tonight as he posts links to some top selling fanfic pieces masquerading as parody (the Divergent "Letter to Tris") or flat-out using the original work's cover, complete with author name (the guy with his own account who published a 7-page "book 2" of The Fault in our Stars).

Some links if you want to be ragey - or just report them to Amazon for violation of copyright.

Some of these pieces are seriously high on the sales chart, illegally.

6 page Divergent "parody" : http://www.amazon.com/Divergent-Parody-Confessions-Four-Letter-ebook/dp/B00JMPI4NE/ref=pd_sim_kstore_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1EBAQ4JWEDX225M8EEW7

Twilight slash "parody" : http://www.amazon.com/TWILIGHT-parody-Edward-Anonymous-Parodies-ebook/dp/B007T8TVUQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_kstore_26?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XKPRYFPHACQNRBWYFJZ

The Fault in Our Stars fanfic, complete with John Green's name attached and original cover in tact: http://www.amazon.com/The-Fault-In-Our-Stars-ebook/dp/B00KSAOZ3A/ref=zg_bs_tab_pd_bsnr_2

No matter your feelings on fanfic, this is just wrong. It's profiting from the original writer's work.

DanielaTorre
06-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Jeezy Creezy. Since when is slapping a parody label on a fanfic and making money off of it legal? Wait... didn't E.L. James do just that?

Time to dust off that old Doctor Who fanfic. Need to make some money.

Honestly, this is low. Scams are everywhere.

Liosse de Velishaf
06-11-2014, 08:44 AM
The Twilight one almost seems like a legit parody, but the rest of them are not even close.

JournoWriter
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
In following Amazon's report-a-copyright-violation links, it appears they only accept reports from people authorized to act on behalf of the copyright holder. Is there another way to do it?

BeeGem
06-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Definitely not cool.

In following Amazon's report-a-copyright-violation links, it appears they only accept reports from people authorized to act on behalf of the copyright holder. Is there another way to do it?

Yeah, I noticed that too. I couldn't see another way to report it either.

Old Hack
06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Perhaps the best thing to do, then, is for one willing volunteer to contact the literary agents of the authors affected, and let them report it.

ETA: Please don't all do this. The agents will be swamped. Just one person.

veinglory
06-11-2014, 05:18 PM
There are a bunch that are just up there, not even pretending to be parody. I reported some to no avail. Amazon only responds when there is a big ass media blow up about something.

Hapax Legomenon
06-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Isn't amazon publishing legitimate fanfic as well?

Torgo
06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Isn't amazon publishing legitimate fanfic as well?

Yeah, Kindle Worlds is a licensing framework for fanfic.

Samsonet
06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
...anyone wanna pretend to be Edward Cullen and give all these fanfics five-star reviews? All just parody, of course.

JulianneQJohnson
06-11-2014, 10:31 PM
This bothered me so much that I blogged about it. Slapping the word "parody" on the cover doesn't make it one. I can put a jelly label on a jar of bees, but that doesn't make it jelly.

DancingMaenid
06-12-2014, 01:40 AM
I don't know that I'd call this stuff "fanfic." Fanfic implies stories written by fans. Without actually reading the books, it's kinda hard to tell what these are. My first thought was that they look like deliberate attempts to capitalize off of successful series by selling cheap knock-offs. Kind of like how knock-off products are often designed to resemble the more successful brands that they're mimicking, or trick people into thinking they're getting the real thing. Here, the sellers have been particularly nervy and blatant.

Bolero
06-12-2014, 01:53 AM
This is awakening a faint memory of there being knock-off Harry Potters released before the real one was.