Literature with romantic or sexual content needed for characters to discuss in a story

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Okay, this is actually for a fanfic based on the 1999 animated series, "Cybersix". The main character is a female cyborg and superhero by night, but, by day, she dresses up like a man and goes by the name Adrian Seidelman as she teaches literature (the type isn't specified) at the local high school. There's a student in her class, Lori Anderson, who has a crush on "Adrian". Lori has been known to flirt with Adrian during class and also daydream about the two of them together. Six had made known her dual identity to Lori (and only Lori) in the final episode, and this fic takes place immediately after.

I'm using the fact that Six let Lori (and not her seemingly "obvious" love interest, fellow teacher Lucas Amato) know her secret as a way to explore their feelings for each other.

I'm writing a scene in class in which Six (in her Adrian disguise) is discussing some literature and asking the students questions, and Lori is answering all of them and asking questions back to "Adrian". The two are obviously in love with each other, but, because of their student-teacher relationship, Lori has to be together with Six, not with Adrian. Flirting during the school day is not a good idea. Of course, Lori being Lori, she finds a way to do it through the discussion.

So I need some kind of literature with suitable content for Lori and Six to have a metaphorical conversation about their relationship (which, by the way, would still appear fairly icky to some people, since Cybersix is, by all appearances, an adult woman dating a teenager).

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
50 Shades of Oh So Far Outside My Reality... :)

And to think you're only 20 miles from me.

Jeff

AuthorUnknown

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
Could you go with the classics: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice? Or are you looking for something a little more... saucy? Do you want literature published pre-1999?

AuthorUnknown

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read any of these, but... Google:

Lady Chatterly's Lovers by DH Lawrence

Ulysses by James Joyce

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Could you go with the classics: Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice? Or are you looking for something a little more... saucy?

Well, it'd have to be limited to anything that could legitimately be read in a high school class.

Oh, and I don't know where this series takes place. The only thing that they specify is the name of the city: Meridiana. Since the show is based on an Argentinian comic book series, we could guess Argentina or at least somewhere in South America, but that doesn't work for the show because of the use of English text everywhere. Plus, there are no characters with Spanish names - except for José Von Reichter (yeah). The school bus looks like a typical American yellow school bus, but Lucas is really into soccer, and the streets seem to have a European flavor, such as the use of cobblestones.

Do you want literature published pre-1999?

I didn't think of that, but, yeah, it'd have to be. The series seems to take place in the then-present of 1999, judging by the computer that a P.I. used in episode 4.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Tropic of Cancer.
Ulysses (the version by James Joyce, not the one by Homer)
Lolita.
The Color Purple.
Valley of the Dolls.
Peyton Place.
maybe even The Brothers Karamazov.

(The only ones I've read all the way through are Lolita and The Brothers Karamazov.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Yorwick

Registered
Reaction score
Website
yorwickcastle.com
What about Carmilla? It's a Gothic novella published in 1871 by Irish writer Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. It is a pre-Dracula vampire story about a several-hundred-year-old female vampire who assumes various disguises and identities to seduce young women. It has a more predatory element than the relationship in your story, but it may be interesting to play with the shared themes (forbidden love, young, susceptible girls falling for a non-human older woman with multiple identites, etc) and maybe even touch on the fact that these relationships are vilified in the story because of 19th-century attitudes towards homosexuality.
Carmilla is a bit provocative but I can legitimately see it being covered in an English literature class, especially if it covers the history of Gothic fiction or traces the inspirations for Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
What about Carmilla?

Ooh, nice suggestion, and it's something that I've been meaning to read anyway, probably since the late 1990s when I read "Dracula". I'll consider it.

I just went through episodes 1 and 5, and I've gotta say I'm astounded at the level of detail in this series.

In episode 1, "Adrian" is reading from Romeo and Juliet, Act 1, Scene 4 ("Is love a tender thing?"), and her book is shown to be open to that page (they actually put in the printed text of the play).

In episode 5, she's reading "Ah! Sun-flower", an illustrated poem by English poet William Blake.

In both cases, Lori is positively enraptured, but it's unclear is she cares at all about the words or simply like hearing "Adrian's" voice (which, with all due respect to Cathy Weseluck, doesn't sound at all convincingly male).

Also in episode 5, Lori is sent to the office for being her usual daydreaming self in class, and she happens across "Adrian's" employee file, which she uses to find out "his" home address (yeah, she's obsessed).

They actually typed out meaningful information instead of the usual cartoon shorthand of putting up gibberish. Here's what I gathered from freezing it and advancing it frame by frame. Maybe some of this might spark some ideas on other things for "Adrian" and Lori to discuss in my fic:

Below a photo are the words "Adrian Seidelman" and "English Dept.".

Other text:

Previous teach experiences:
Fraser Valley High
Cariboo High (part-time)

University graduated:
Okanagan University
Department and Major:
Div. of Humanities
Literature
Title of B.A. thesis:
"The Canterbury Tales and Dadaism in Modern English"

Address: 11107 Gateway Avenue, S.
Apt. 4-A
Meridiana, SBC B6V 8B1
Phone: 333-5829
Fax (if any):
e-mail:

There's even a "Note" (mostly obscured by Lori's hand) of legal information about the use of this information. Freakin' amazing.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Just a reminder, while fan fiction can be a great way to practice and inspire writing, we can't support it here. Please confine your questions/answers to the research required to write the story based on the situation described. Also, we're not in the right area to discuss the series itself. Thanks.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Mark, I haven't got any books your characters can discuss, but just wanted to let you know,by the info you showed for 'Adrian', the story is set in British Columbia, Canada. The post code is the sort Canada uses, and Fraser and Okanagan are both in BC.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Mark, I haven't got any books your characters can discuss, but just wanted to let you know,by the info you showed for 'Adrian', the story is set in British Columbia, Canada. The post code is the sort Canada uses, and Fraser and Okanagan are both in BC.

Ooh, that helps a lot. Thanks. :)

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno where other folks went to high school but my AP English classes focused on stuff like:
- Romeo and Juliet
- Hamlet
- Wuthering Heights
- Moby Dick
- The Old Man and the Sea
- A Tale of Two Cities or Great Expectations
- To Start a Fire
- Huckleberry Finn
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- The Great Gatsby
and so forth. You'll notice a significant lack of sexytime romance in any of those books, unless it was the tawdry Victorian era version.

Ulysses? Lolita? That seems appropriate for college level courses but your school would be firebombed by a mob of irate parents if you had the kids assigned a bunch of chapters from Tropic of Cancer. Especially in 1999. That's 15 years ago, hardly the distant past.

Want to see what school reading lists don't have? Here's the American Library Association's list of banned books: http://www.ala.org/bbooks/frequentlychallengedbooks/classics/reasons

This is a pretty creepy story idea to begin with and though I'm sure you have good intentions it wouldn't be at all out of line for your two "lovers" to be found out and have the super awesome cyborg pedo go directly to jail while her underage paramour has to seriously consider leaving town due to all the negative publicity over the statuatory rape. Fun times lie ahead! Hope "Adrian" has access to a great cyborg-lawyer.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you take a close look at the link you provided, you'll note that The Color Purple was retained by one the high schools that considered dropping it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal