Corndogs

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Does anyone remember the cost of a corndog around 1955-56? A chili dog at the A&W was 15 cents and came in a paper carrier that looked like a dachshund. I remember that corndogs from the Tastee Freeze came in a paper bag with a squiggle of mustard but the price eludes me. Tastee Freeze malts were 29 cents. I remember that because they were so prohibitively expensive that only Dad rated one. --s6

This is probably a question for the geriatric crew.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember, Shakey, but too northern to have the numbers for you. We had them at county fairs and such, but that's it. I do remember that the earliest MacDonald burgers cost 15 cents. I wouldn't expect much more than that for corndogs. Possibly even a dime. Certainly no more than a quarter. Sorry.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I had the idea of looking through some images of eateries and food stalls from the mid-50s, to see if I could find one that had prices. I couldn't, unfortunately, but that might have been because I got sidetracked by some wonderful pics from the era, esp. of the state fairs. Sorry.

(I'm also reading the thread in Grandpa Simpson's voice.)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I had searched before posting this. My sister and cousin can't remember. I pulled up a Tastee Freeze menu from 1955 but no corndogs listed. It isn't that important but I am writing a memoir for a Kansas Writer's Org about my Dad's babysitting policies: kids napped where they dropped; corndogs were both protein and vegetable--and cheap; chlorine swimming pool water was dangerously polluted while the muddy water of the Arkansas was healthful--and free.

Some of the people I am writing for are even older than I am and will not only remember the exact price but will point it out if I don't have it straight. I will probably end up not giving the exact price but it is driving me crazy. --s6

Last edited:

AuthorUnknown

Look Closer
Registered
Reaction score
I googled the hell out of it, and the only thing I can come up with is I want a corn dog now.

Sorry!!!