• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

NovoPulp / Hermit Studio Press

Evil Overlord

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have input on Novo Pulp / Hermit Studio Press? They've put out one SFF anthology, and are working on a second. Shared profit, no up-front. The idea is that this is a Google+ based endeavour.

They seem like pleasant people, but have sent a contract to sign before any story is accepted (on the chance that it will be). I declined, but thought I'd check whether others had run into this model (or this publisher).

Last edited:

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but signing a contract before any story is accepted sounds insane, unless this is like the beginning of them paying you a monthly wage not dependent on accepted stories :D

Last edited:

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Every contract I've signed includes a guarantee to publish the work (and a statement along the lines of if it isn't published in a timely fashion, the contract is broken). How can there be a contract if the work hasn't been accepted? What are they asking you to guarantee them? And in exchange for what?

I can understand having terms and conditions that restrict certain things during the submission process, like not submitting elsewhere, or request that your work is your own and contains no copyright infringing material, but a full on contract is something entirely different.

Evil Overlord

Registered
Reaction score
In the end we agreed not to sign a contract until stories were accepted. Which they were.