People on regular diet or diets

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Which one would you use?

1. Healthy people on a regular diet do not likely develop phosphate deficiency.
2. Healthy people on regular diet do not likely develop phosphate deficiency.
3. Healthy people on the regular diet do not likely develop phosphate deficiency.
4. Healthy people on regular diets do not likely develop phosphate deficiency.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
For the part you are concerned about...#1, I suppose. Definitely not #2 or #3. But the end of the sentence doesn't read well. I would say: "...are not likely to develop phosphate deficiency." Or: "...do not develop phosphate deficiency" is okay too, but I suspect you want the "likely" in there...

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Yes, I can use "are not likely to develop..."

Currently I have: Healthy people on regular diet...because diet could be a mass known, couldn't it? Just like People with chronic kidney disease, in which disease is without s and without a.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Which one would you use?

3. Healthy people on the regular diet do not likely develop phosphate deficiency.

1. Healthy people on a regular diet are unlikely to develop phosphate deficiency.

4. Healthy people on regular diets are unlikely to develop phosphate deficiency.

Either is correct. The other two have problems.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
I believe, in the health writing context, regular diet means eating regularly, as opposed to irregular diet, for example, in chronic alcoholics or anorexia nervosa. Regular diet also means usual diet as opposed to various restricted diets.

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which one would you use?

Number 1 works well, as most have said. To me, number 4 is slightly better, because plural diets agrees more with plural people.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
In the 1st one "people" and "a diet" do not agree. Still, it sounds OK to me and to everyone else here...

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Regular diet" doesn't work for me. "Regular" for who or what? I'd suggest being more specific: "People on a typical Western diet" maybe? Also, "do not likely" is grammatically incorrect, as others have pointed out.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
"Regular diet" doesn't work for me. "Regular" for who or what? I'd suggest being more specific: "People on a typical Western diet" maybe? Also, "do not likely" is grammatically incorrect, as others have pointed out.

It appears to mean regular as opposed to eating irregularly or sporadically.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't mean to go all defensive, but I didn't say they don't agree in number 1. I said "plural diets agrees more with plural people."

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I can use "are not likely to develop..."

This is much better.

In my opinion, #4 is correct, #1 is perfectly acceptable and #2 and #3 are wrong.

Currently I have: Healthy people on regular diet...because diet could be a mass known, couldn't it? Just like People with chronic kidney disease, in which disease is without s and without a.

No; I don't think so. I see the similarity and understand the point you're making, but one (the kidney disease) is idiomatic and perfectly acceptable and the other "just isn't".

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Don't mean to go all defensive, but I didn't say they don't agree in number 1. I said "plural diets agrees more with plural people."

I should correct myself. I agree with you when you say plural people and diets agree more...I was just wondering what makes "a diet" version acceptable then...

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I agree that the ending sounds a bit awkward. ...do not likely develop... I'd say "are not likely to" develop phosphate deficiency. Or, "are not usually deficient in phosphate/s(?)" since a deficiency doesn't exactly sound like something that would be "developed" but something that would be taken away, kind of the opposite of developing anything, if that makes sense.

#1- No. The plural-singular there sounds like the healthy people all share the same diet. This would sound better, in my opinion: "A healthy person on a regular diet [is] not likely to develop phosphate deficiency.

#2- No. The missing "a" in "Healthy people on [a] regular diet..." sounds strange. It reminds me of UK speech, where they say someone is "at university" or "in hospital." It's not how people in the U.S. talk.

#3- No. "The" regular diet sounds like you are referring to a specific diet that has already been explained to us.

In fact, the word "regular" sounds a bit off, too. "Regular" can mean "typical" foods but also hints at the spacing of the meals, which seems a bit not what you mean. Other words that fit better might be typical, standard, normal, general...

#4- Yes. The plural "people" matches the plural "diets."

Also, when in doubt, I usually just do what Chase advises. :)

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Q: What is a regular diet?
A: A regular diet is one that does not include any dietary restrictions.

I was also thinking a regular diet sounds like eating "on a regular basis."

A healthy person who eats regularly is unlikely to develop phosphate deficiency.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Q: What is a regular diet?
A: A regular diet is one that does not include any dietary restrictions.

I was also thinking a regular diet sounds like eating on "a regular basis."

A healthy person who eats regularly is unlikely to develop phosphate deficiency.

But "eats regularly" also sounds like the timing. I mean, you can eat at the same times every day ("regularly" in that sense) but still eat only popcorn or beets at every meal and develop [a] phosphate deficiency, right? How about "reasonable" instead of "regular?"

A healthy person on a reasonable diet is unlikely to...

A healthy person who eats reasonably well is unlikely to...

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Regular sounds odd and vague to me too, why not balanced?

It'll also help if, whatever term you use, you cite the relevant guidelines that define what 'balanced' means -- are we talking the US food pyramid? The UK plate? For all I know "balanced" or "regular" could be a Mediterranean or Japanese diet.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm, sounds fine to me...

If you prefer to stick with the word "regular," then I think "on a regular diet" sounds much better than "eats regularly." "Eating regularly," to my mind, means the spacing of meals. "On a regular diet" at least also includes the issue of the content of the meals. But that's just how it sounds to me.

@EMaree- I agree. "Balanced" is more accurate than "regular," imo.

Last edited:

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Yes, I mean, reasonable sounds fine, but none of these terms, including regular, is perfect, so I'm trying to find something "optimal."

The point is that practically everything else than total starvation, or a diet in alcoholism or anorexia nervosa, I mean, even a fruitarian diet (fruits and vegetables only), Eskimos diet (mainly fish) or bread and water would provide enough phosphate, so I want to avoid "balanced diet" and such.

Last edited:

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Okay, one more try and then I'll quit nitpicking. Probably any number of different ways would get your point across just fine.

A healthy person on almost any reasonable diet isn't likely to lack phosphate/s.

Last edited:

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score

I think this sounds too like "a person who eats at regular intervals".

"Regularly" has a common temporal connotation, as well as a qualitative one.