PDA

View Full Version : Any Lawyers Around?

Satori1977
06-10-2014, 06:59 AM
I have a character that is lawyer, though his job is not a focus of the book. But I still had a few questions concerning types of lawyers.

On tv, you mostly see criminal lawyers going to trial. But that doesn't seem very realistic. Do all lawyers do trial work? Are there types of lawyers that seldom or never step in a courtroom?

If so, what types of lawyers are these, and what are their job duties?

Thanks in advance.

cornflake
06-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I have a character that is lawyer, though his job is not a focus of the book. But I still had a few questions concerning types of lawyers.

On tv, you mostly see criminal lawyers going to trial. But that doesn't seem very realistic. Do all lawyers do trial work? Are there types of lawyers that seldom or never step in a courtroom?

Thanks in advance.

Tons of lawyers rarely if ever set foot in a courtroom. Even criminal or other litigation-type lawyers can rarely actually end up at trial. That totally depends what type of practice the person has, and they'd be in court for procedural stuff, but most cases are pled out or agreements are reached, just in a general sense.

As to those who don't generally go to trial or end up in actual courtrooms, it's a lengthy list. There are plenty of firms and other places that have associates who do X and if there's need to go to court, it'll be someone else. So the case someone works on could, but wouldn't mean they would.

Most transactional attys aren't going near a courtroom. Corporate lawyers of varying types, real estate lawyers, tax, estate, entertainment, IP, etc., etc.

ishtar'sgate
06-10-2014, 07:57 AM
Do all lawyers do trial work? Are there types of lawyers that seldom or never step in a courtroom?

Thanks in advance.

Family lawyers deal with divorce and child custody, generally dealt with outside of the courtroom, estate lawyers deal with wills and the assets of estates, conveyancing lawyers deal with the transfer of property and some lawyers deal strictly with mortgage work. Of course you can wind up in court regardless of your area of practice.

I am not a lawyer but I was a conveyancing paralegal for years and ended up giving evidence a couple of times. The first time was when someone forged vendors signatures on property transfer documents in collusion with a real estate agent and the other time was when a vendor, again in collusion with a real estate agent, tried to back out of a legal sale agreement. And cornflake is correct. Many lawyers seldom go to trial, having their cases settled outside of court. I even saw one settled on the courthouse steps just prior to trial. And I'd flown in for the trial so I was pretty choked:D

Satori1977
06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
This is great information, thanks guys. This is what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. Now I have a better place to start more specific research.