Why are most agents women?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
In the last week I've been researching agents found from many different sources, ending up reading in detail well over a hundred agent submission guides.

In passing I've notices that perhaps 90% are women. Why is that, I wonder?

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
We're part of a vast underground syndicate bent on establishing a literary gynocracy in which male writers are our slaves!

OH CRAP I'VE SAID TOO MUCH.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
We're part of a vast underground syndicate bent on establishing a literary gynocracy in which male writers are our slaves!

Drat. I knew I shouldn't click on this thread, and now I'll probably be killed for this knowledge.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

The scary answer might be the one to this question:

How many of us would take that deal to get published?

:)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see the data.
Oh, you'll never get access to that data. Do you think the women are fools?

I asked the same question one time and three of them met me in the parking lot and beat the crap out of me.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see the data.
This is something I've noticed as well actually... I doubt there's any hard data out there and it's not exactly 90% female but you can plainly see the difference. I just opened query tracker and picked 3 pages at random(small sample size, I know). Ignoring names I couldn't tell were male or female I got: 25-8 26-7 and 22-10 females to male.

chickenma

Registered
Reaction score
And yet women don't seem as sure of themselves as men. All the agents that have shown an interest in my work have been men, and their feedback suggests a lot more daring, a willingness to bend those cookie-cutter "rules."

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
And yet women don't seem as sure of themselves as men. All the agents that have shown an interest in my work have been men, and their feedback suggests a lot more daring, a willingness to bend those cookie-cutter "rules."

Wow.

Verlin

Coattail Karma guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.verlindarrow.com
Women are often more relationship oriented and agenting is based on relationships, much like therapy. That's my hypothesis. It's either that or the evil conspiracy deal. It would be just like them to reveal the truth wrapped in humor to throw us off.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I can think of only one reason for taking note of whether the agent you're querying is a man or a woman: to make sure you don't address the query incorrectly, pretty much announcing right off the bat you're a raw noob who hasn't done his homework. just sayin'

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score

Could be that your subject matter or writing style tends to appeal more to men, or you targeted the male agents better than the female, or any number of other factors. If men are the ones interested, then their feedback is naturally going to be more in depth and enthusiastic than the feedback from agents who aren't interested.

Women agents being less sure of themselves than men is such a broad brushstroke based on faulty evidence, and fairly sexist to boot. In all fairness, I don't think coming off that way was your intention, but that's how it ended up.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
In the last week I've been researching agents found from many different sources, ending up reading in detail well over a hundred agent submission guides.

In passing I've notices that perhaps 90% are women. Why is that, I wonder?

If you had noticed that the majority were men, would you have asked why that was?

My bold.

That's a really inappropriate response to have to the circumstances you describe.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Anecdotal evidence only on my part: the male literary agents I've met have tended to well-spoken, polite, and sometimes even a bit aloof. The female agents (even in the same agencies) have been direct, gregarious, and downright snarky. I don't mind either. Whatever it takes to pitch a book, make the sale, and forge a relationship with the publisher.