Police routine

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
I need a description of a routine morning in a life of a detective in NYC. He comes to work, and I want him to check on a status of an investigation. The problem: he is not an investigating officer on the case in question. However, he is involved and not in the a good way. What are the sources of information available to him? Reports, files, colleagues, superiors? I can make him talk to a lieutenant about his cases. Is that a good time for him to ask questions about the unrelated investigation?
Thanks for your help, everyone.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have him ask the officer/detective in charge of the investigation. There really aren't "progress reports" on police investigations, but case files in the computer system aren't normally restricted from others.

Now, if he's "involved" and "not in a good way" then I assume he's either being investigated or connected with the crime that is being investigated. In the first case, he will have no access to the investigation, that's a separate division. Internal affairs, professional standards or some other name, but completely separated from any normal officers.

In the second case, if he's not a suspect and his involvement is not yet known, he can easily find out about the investigation. Heck, hanging around the local cop bar will get him all he needs to know.

Jeff

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of case and what kind of detective is he (precinct, accident investigation, homicide, major case, special victims, etc)?

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The case is about a killing spree. The detective is not in homicide. He's a precinct detective. I can acquaint him with the homicide detective in the same precinct if it helps.

Last edited:

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. The case is about a killing spree. The detective is not in homicide. He's a precinct detective. I can acquaint him with the homicide detective in the same precinct if it helps.

Within NYPD, homicide is basically the jurisdiction of the Homicide Task Force that is independent of the precincts and is comprised of 7 homicide squads. Precinct detectives may or may not be involved in these investigations. They may or may not work in the same building. For example, Manhattan South South Task Force has its own address/building. Manhattan North may share (unsure) a building with Precinct 23. No idea about the locations of the other "squads."

You may need more research to come up with a realistic scenario. Or alternatively, cite your start and end scenarios.

PS: I'm not an NYPD insider. I did some story research and found it pretty interesting, confusing, and complicated.

Last edited: