strangest thing you've seen written on a bathroom wall?

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
The thread topic pretty much says it all. Anyone remember something really odd? Something besides the usual call-so-and-so-at-this-number. Or, if anyone feels like doing a little homework assignment, take a look for me on the walls the next time you use a public bathroom. :)

Thanks!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A homework assignment? :e2cry:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
What do you need this for? The graffiti on bathroom walls may vary by location (high school, pub, college, etc).

You may get very lucky with folks going out of their way looking for you, we do have some wonderfully generous people here, but don't expect it.

Last edited:

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
This one is from waayyy back in 1977. My husband and I were driving from central Kansas to Pittston, Pennsylvania to attend his brother's wedding so I know the year and the month, July. We were traveling with one and four year old daughters so stopped often in roadside parks for picnics and play. In the restroom of a roadside park in Ohio I found a diary scratched into the paint of a stall.

It began "Jos and me stuck here. Car give out--June 1977." The next entries talked about how she (there was a name but I can't remember) lived in the park, slept in the car and made sandwiches while Jos hitch hiked for help. One entry stated the problem with the car--I am thinking it was an alternator or a distributor but know next to nothing about cars, so I'm not sure. One entry talked about getting fried chicken and bread from a sympathetic couple. One said that they didn't want the car to get tagged as disabled so pushed it around. Then one said "Jos found a job in town and he hitched back at night." The last one said they were leaving to live in the town and get the car fixed. I think it all added up to 4 days she lived in the park.

My husband was hollering for me, asking me what was taking so long. All I could say was "I'm reading the stall!" I often wondered what happened to that couple. They seemed to be about our age--s6

Last edited:

General Joy

general soothsayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cassandrazaruba.net
Thanks, JPerez and shakey... interesting story about the rest stop diary. :) Cath, I am asking for my WIP. Location doesn't really matter because the character goes to all kinds of bathrooms in different locations (only in the US though). And of course I don't expect anyone to go to a lot of trouble or plan a trip to a public bathroom simply to answer my question.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At the University of Texas at Austin, in the Computer Science building, was a stall door-covering missive by a young woman who liked a particular sexual practice which might be considered abusive and potentially damaging, which I don't name here because, you know, kids, and whether she should try to live without it even though she craved it and sometimes called her ex because he'd do it. People responded with name-calling suggesting she was sick or a slut; phone numbers where she could get help for her mental health, sexual abuse hotlines, rape counseling, women's shelters; more than one person suggesting God or Jesus could help; people discussing the rightness of informed consent for adults; and the OP's responses. It was all written only slightly larger than it would be on looseleaf filler, and probably ran four or five thousand words. It made me look more closely at the few female students in the program at the time.

Then one day, it was a smudged mess, and the next, painted over. I wish like hell I'd taken a picture.

Maryn, too late

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Above the condom machine: This gum tastes like rubber.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
"This door is available in paperback."

But its usually xxxx sux or hearts and initials. Sometimes some initials scored out. or xxx 4 yyy 4 ever. Or a swear word. Usually four letters. Can't ever recall seeing something longer than four letters, probably takes too long to carve.

Motorway service stations on the other hand - almost no graffiti, but plenty of advertising posters - usually for associations for people with bladder control problems or road safety things. Its always good to target your audience closely.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strange one's I've seen:

"Don't eat the big mint!"
"For a good time, go somewhere else"
"I love slippery grils" followed by "there are two L's in grills"
"While you were reading this I stole your wallet"
"Jimmy Buffett pissed here!"

But the best was a recipe for beer batter, used in the kitchen of the bar. Story is that the guy in charge of making the batter couldn't remember the recipe so the owner wrote it in the men's room.

Jeff

airship wreck

Ignoring plot carp
Registered
Reaction score
About five years ago, in a women's restroom on a college campus, I saw a heading similar to "tell your secrets here". Underneath that, I remember someone confessed about their secret crush, and someone else said they'd been sexually abused and never reported it.

On a lighter note, in another bathroom someone wrote "This way to the Ministry of Magic" as a reference to the Harry Potter series. If I remember correctly, a few others got into a conversation about which characters were the most attractive (Fred and George won, naturally).

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing several rants against circumsicion in a few different men's rooms in Hawaii. They were all obviously by the same guy and evidently he and it toured some of the same public restrooms. One was in a park, another at a overlook, etc.

A few times he put the URL of his (?) website with more info.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
In the staff WCs in a busy emergency department: a guide to correctly filling out death certificates, posted on the back of the cubicle door. Someone had appended "please complete certificate before dying on toilet".

books2thesky

Registered
Reaction score
(1)
"God is dead. -- Nietzsche"
and below, in different handwriting,
"Nietzsche is dead. -- God"

(2) a little poem which I later Googled and learned was written by the poet Wendy Cope:
"Write it in fire across the night:
Some men are more or less alright."
and below in a different handwriting, a response that as far as I can tell was an original composition of the replying graffiti-ist:
"Flow down the river and out to the sea:
Sometimes it's better to just let men be."
(to be clear, this was a women's bathroom, not a unisex one)

(3) "Batman ♥ Robin"

Last edited:

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In a stall at a church I worked at this week actually:

"The devil made me do it"

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
From a bathroom stall in a restaurant in Manhattan, back in the 1970s:

Edith Head gives good wardrobe.

Relic37

Registered
Reaction score
From a stall in the math building on a college campus, written in very small handwriting on the bottom edge of the door, forcing you to lean way forward on the toilet in order to read it:

"You are now at a 45 degree angle."