PDA

View Full Version : Assistant and agent reading full MS

tylersmama
06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Hello lovely people of AW,

I am new in every shape and form! I am new to the forum and new to this whole submission process. Last month, I sent my first novel off to a handful of agents which I meticulously researched and naively thought "Oh this is fun!". Fast forward 4 weeks, and I am nail biting, comfort eating with my head in the fridge and refreshing my email with incredible speed.

Nine days after I sent the submission off (first three chapters, synopsis and cover letter), one of my dream agents' assistant emailed me. She said her and the agent I addressed my sub to had both read the partial and loved it. She asked me for the full. After calming down, and staying up until 4am to re-read the MS (God knows why, I spent six months doing that over and over before forcing myself to just submit already!), the following day I sent her the full over and she replied 10 minutes later thanking me, and said they were both looking forward to reading it.

It's been three weeks (the LONGEST three weeks of my life - I wasn't prepared for the rollercoaster of insanity, let me tell you that!), but my question is: do you think the assistant will read it alongside the agent, or will the agent be letting the assistant read first, waiting for the "it sucks, don't bother" or "it's as good as the first three, Queen, read away"?

It's all very exciting but SO nerve-wracking, knowing there isn't one, but two people reading it together.

And don't worry, I'm not going to ask how long it'll be before I hear (but if someone knows, a fortune teller or something, TELL ME. TELL. ME! I BEG!)

*knocks back gin*

waylander
06-05-2014, 02:53 PM
Each agent works differently, but as agents are very busy people it would make sense that the assistant reads it first.

tylersmama
06-05-2014, 02:57 PM
Ah, just got a rejection. However, high high praise and a very personalised, descriptive email. Still... my first ever full rejection! And it feels like a kick to the guts if I'm honest.

Oh well! Onwards and upwards!

Laer Carroll
06-07-2014, 04:07 AM
If you got a personalized response you are among the .0001 % of all responses. THAT is cause for much celebration.

AND reason to carefully read all the comments and see if you want to address any of them. Maybe you do not need to do anything.

The fact that you got a request for further material means that you are doing well. Submit to other agents. This is all part of being a pro writer.

Every rejection hurts. How could it not? It's part of human nature, and even more so of writers, whose emotional nerve endings are more numerous and closer to the surface. But the best cure is work. Not only to soothe our emotions, but because writers with a career usually have many, even many dozen, books in us.