Car ads with terrible messages

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Recently I saw two television ads for two different luxury vehicles; they both ticked me off.

One is for the Cadillac Escalade. It shows an ancient pharaoh on some kind of gold-encrusted land barge, being pulled by an army of brawny manservants. Then it shows a maharaja in a lavish howdah atop an elephant, off to hunt tigers or something, with servants and lower-caste types trotting along far below him. Then, we see a lavish 18th century carriage going through a cheering crowd, with a little boy running to keep up with it, looking at it with worship on his face. (Where's the French Revolution when you need it?)

Then -- a modern Escalade, cruising majestically among lesser cars.

The people who buy Escalades don't need a commercial encouraging them to feel like royalty among peasants. They're already there.

The other ad is for a new BMW. The ad shows a motorcycle gang out on a highway, coming to a crossroads. There's a BMW coming from the side road. The entire motorcycle gang comes to a halt, and gives the BMW the right of way, with something like deference.

Then the BMW comes to a railroad crossing, with a train approaching. Does the BMW stop? No -- the effin' train puts on the brakes and stops, to let the BMW pass.

Now. There's a stereotype about BMW drivers being utter assholes. Based on my quarter century of driving in Atlanta, I'd say that stereotype is based on fact. They run red lights, they run stop signs, they take up four spots in a parking lot to make sure no one touches their precious Beamer. (I'm sure there are exceptions.)

The last thing BMW drivers need is a commercial reinforcing their feeling of entitlement. What they need is an instructional video showing them how to use the goddamn turn signal.

Last edited:

Hoplite

Return of the Coffee Shield
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of my favorite car commercial (sadly, which I can't find anywhere on YouTube).

You've seen the Lexus commercials around Christmas? Where the family comes running outside and sees the brand new Lexus in the drive way with the big red bow on it?

Husband tells his wife he has a surprise in the drive way for her. "Don't bother putting on your coat," he says, "I left the seat warmer on." They go outside, giggling with delight and see nothing but the big red bow on the asphalt. Husband left the keys in the ignition.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
For some reason, this reminds me of something I heard of that instantly rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently, in some theme parks now, once you pay the steep entry fee, you can pay an additional fee to get a special wristband that lets you go to the front of the line of the rides. No waiting for you, Richie Rich.

So, you demonstrate that you've got more disposable income, and then you get to say, "Screw you scrabblers who've waited like chumps with the riff-raff for an hour, this ride is going to be AWESOME!"

Grrrr.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yeah, that Cadillac ad had me cringing. Rubs me the wrong way on par with the Mighty Whitey Heineken ads.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen both those and dislike them. I think it was Dodge that had a commercial years ago in which the husband was so rude to the wife. She's talking to the kid about the truck and he yells at her "It's the hemi, Liz." Effing hated that commercial.

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
For some reason, this reminds me of something I heard of that instantly rubbed me the wrong way. Apparently, in some theme parks now, once you pay the steep entry fee, you can pay an additional fee to get a special wristband that lets you go to the front of the line of the rides. No waiting for you, Richie Rich.

So, you demonstrate that you've got more disposable income, and then you get to say, "Screw you scrabblers who've waited like chumps with the riff-raff for an hour, this ride is going to be AWESOME!"

Grrrr.

Well, I've got to go to Florida this June with my daughter for her team's volleyball tournament. We're taking an extra day and going to the Harry Potter theme park. We've got one day to do this, and I doubt we'll be back to Orlando any time soon. Our hotel includes these wristbands with our room, and you can bet I'm going to use them. Some of those lines are 2 hours or longer. And if the hotel didn't include them, I would probably buy them anyway, because for a one shot/one day deal, we'd like to get on all or most of the major attractions. I definitely won't say "Screw you." to anyone in the longer line. I think I'll probably walk discreetly by with my head down. :)

I honestly don't see how this is different from any other market-driven product such as people in nice cars driving past someone in an old car broken down at the side of the road. (That person at the side of the rode used to be me in my old VW) Or me walking by those beautiful houses right on the sand when I go to the beach. *daydreams about winning the lottery*