Two 12 yr. olds plot to murder classmate.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
And the girls did it in the name of Slenderman.

The 12-year-old girls had been plotting the murder for months, police say.

Morgan E. Geyser was allowed to have two friends over each year for her birthday. This year, she'd celebrate on May 30. That is the day she and Anissa E. Weier would try to kill their friend during a sleepover.

On Monday, the two Waukesha girls were charged in Waukesha County Circuit Court as adults with attempted first-degree intentional homicide, each facing up to 65 years in prison. Their victim, another 12-year-old from Waukesha, was stabbed 19 times by either Geyser or Weier or both, according to a criminal complaint. All three attend Horning Middle School in Waukesha.

[snip]

Both suspects explained the stabbing to police referencing their dedication to Slender Man, the character they discovered on a website called Creepypasta Wiki, which is devoted to horror stories.

Weier told police that Slender Man is the "leader" of Creepypasta, and in the hierarchy of that world, one must kill to show dedication. Weier said that Geyser told her they should become "proxies" of Slender Man — a paranormal figure known for his ability to create tendrils from his fingers and back — and kill their friend to prove themselves worthy of him. Weier said she was surprised by Geyser's suggestion, but also excited to prove skeptics wrong and show that Slender Man really did exist.

The suspects believed that "Slender," as Weier called him, lived in a mansion in the Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin. The plan was to kill the victim and walk to Slender's mansion.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/...ths-to-kill-friend-b99282655z1-261534171.html

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
What a terrible and bizarre thing for two kids to do.

It is not often fiction gets pulled into crime situation like this. I hope the Creepypasta owners and contributing authors don't suffer too much backlash. It is very clear it is a site for short stories, not some kind of cult.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Wisconsin is going to try them as adults. Personally, as horrendous a crime as this may seem, I think they all ( including the girl who was stabbed) need a lot of counseling and therapy. They're obviously unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I agree, Shadow-ferret. If they hadn't fixated on that story, they would have fixated on something else. They don't know the difference between fantasy and reality. That's a serious mental issue.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret, I agree. This business of trying kids as adults often strikes me as a way to acknowledge that something horrendous has been done, but it rarely seems like a wise response, and in this instance it's truly insufficient.

I also am having the most bizarre but insistent feeling that this event would make, or could make, an amazingly wonderful plot seed for a novel. I don't like it that this keeps occurring to me, but it does.

It's so freaking spooky that these girls conjured a sufficient belief in an imaginary evil dude that they took such an action. Very very freaky to behold.

I feel sad for everyone involved in this one.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
It's even creepier to me because isn't Slender a creation from some people on a forum several years back who were trying to just invent a new monster? It sounds awful to say this, but if it had been a long-running legend about Bigfoot or something like that, I could almost find it more understandable, but to do something like this for a monster that you can literally trace the origins to online and see the actual conversations in which it was created? That just strikes me as so beyond a lack of understanding about real and make believe.

I do think trying them as adults is not the way to go in this one.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yes, slenderman is like a horror version of a jackalope. It is known to have been deliberately invented but people enjoy playing along with the idea he is real.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I am so glad the victim survived. I hope she has a wonderful support system at home and all the professional help she needs.

If she heals all the way, physically and mentally, she will always win the "Well, if you think that's bad, listen to what happened to me..." party game.

My god, this is a horrible story.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of a blog I read - more horrifying than any horror story - about raising a psychopathic child.

It's...ugly, but a child is still a person. They have all the growing faculties of a human adult - though, obviously undeveloped.

That includes, tragically, the potential to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
That's...

Disturbing. Horrifying. Insane.

Yeah, I don't see trying them as adults. They're 12. They thought they should kill someone to earn points with a fictional character. There is nothing about this case that says to me "these are people who knew what they were doing."

My kids (11,19) are very into this "slendermen" thing. Everything I've heard of the character makes me think of "The Gentlemen" from one of the scariest episodes of "Buffy The Vampie Slayer" that ever aired. But they are both, even the 11-year-old, very clear on the concept that this is an internet invention and neither a real thing nor even "real" folklore.

I can't even concieve of what could make a child believe it was real, and even if I could understand thinking Slendermen were real, to plot and carry out such an attack in hopes of pleasing him is... I have no words. I'm simply baffled by the very idea.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I have a friend who went through Creepypasta and found just about nothing about Slenderman.

I suspect the reference of being no more than an excuse and an attempt to shift blame.

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
This reminds me of a blog I read - more horrifying than any horror story - about raising a psychopathic child.

It's...ugly, but a child is still a person. They have all the growing faculties of a human adult - though, obviously undeveloped.

That includes, tragically, the potential to go horribly, horribly wrong.

When I worked with children in a residential setting, I worked with some sociopaths. They have no empathy at all, and the best we could do was try to teach them how to fake it so they could get along in society. That isn't really all that effective. Not when you stop a child from throwing bricks at the heads of small children, and his only explanation of why he was doing that is "I wanted to see what would happen."

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder about the veracity of the Slenderman thing. As to the pairing, most serious murderous pairs have a leader and follower, and one of these girls seems to have been much more into the planning and execution of this.

Shadow_Ferret, I agree. This business of trying kids as adults often strikes me as a way to acknowledge that something horrendous has been done, but it rarely seems like a wise response, and in this instance it's truly insufficient.

I also am having the most bizarre but insistent feeling that this event would make, or could make, an amazingly wonderful plot seed for a novel. I don't like it that this keeps occurring to me, but it does.

It's so freaking spooky that these girls conjured a sufficient belief in an imaginary evil dude that they took such an action. Very very freaky to behold.

I feel sad for everyone involved in this one.

Often, charging juveniles as adults is a practical decision. When tried as juveniles, the potential punishments and other possibilities can be seriously limited. Some places allow incarceration in any facility only to age 21, some allow only placement in specific 'juvenile hall' type places, etc.

Charging someone as an adult can simply open up possibilities, like long-term incarceration, other facilities, etc., even if the state doesn't end up using them.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who went through Creepypasta and found just about nothing about Slenderman.

I suspect the reference of being no more than an excuse and an attempt to shift blame.

I wonder about the veracity of the Slenderman thing.
I wonder about this too. I've read a few Slenderman stories and nothing comes close to the story they give about being a proxy for him. He's a monster that stalks people and makes them disappear. That's really it. There are stories of him driving people insane, but nothing about him using people to kill others.

Lillith1991

The Hobbit-Vulcan hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eclecticlittledork.wordpress.com
Also, since it hasn't been brought up before. This isn't a childs crime, this is an adult type of crime with adult type of consequences. Many places try minors as adults in attempted murder and murder cases, because young children who deliberate kill or try to kill adults and other kids were getting off lightly due to their status as minors. Some of these kids that got off lightly never killed or attempted to kill again, and some went on to repeat the very adult crime of killing someone or attempting to kill them.

I know it seems unfair, I know it seems cruel. It shouldn't be needed, but it is because the system seriously hampers the type of punishment you can give a killer/ would be killer when trying them as minors. If deliberate muder was murder periode it would be different, but it's not. And neither is attempted murder treated the same when looked at from all angles, when comparing the age of would be killers. All trying them as an adult does is open up new legal punishments.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
It's interesting to me how they can decide to try them as adults so quickly, just because the Texas system is different. Might surprise you to know, there's an extra procedural step before getting there.

Here, we have to hold a contested certification hearing, in which the prosecutors have to prove (1) that the child committed the crime (probable cause, not beyond a reasonable doubt), and (2) that the child presents a danger to the community, has a history worthy of them being tried as an adult, and some other factors.

In my three years as a juvie prosecutor, I've handled just one certification. A kid who committed murder and ended up getting 25 years.

12 year olds? Not in Texas, the law doesn't allow them to be tried as adults, no one under the age of 14.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
That's the first thing I thought about, too. Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures was based on that case. Seriously creepy movie.

Perks and I saw her at Bouchercon last year, huge lines for her books. But all we could think about was, 'Man, she killed someone. She's a murderer. Oh, man.'

emax100

Banned
Reaction score
When I worked with children in a residential setting, I worked with some sociopaths. They have no empathy at all, and the best we could do was try to teach them how to fake it so they could get along in society. That isn't really all that effective. Not when you stop a child from throwing bricks at the heads of small children, and his only explanation of why he was doing that is "I wanted to see what would happen."
Maybe that is the problem right there; maybe it was safer to simply keep some kids warehoused and fed on a regular basis and cared for in a fundamental way a while isolated from mainstream society. It may be that the need to have all kids be integrated with the rest of their community no matter how beyond repair they are is a fundamental part of the problem. That kid really does sound like a candidate for someone who commits another mass shooting while yet again we scratch our heads and wonder what could have been done to prevent it.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

On the other hand, adults do the same thing all the time.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what the previous poster's org did, or with what populations or purpose, but there is decently successful theraputic work that can engage empathy.

What population, etc., are variables that matter, obviously, but if adults with significant criminal histories can be turned around, seems reasonably likely it'd be at least possible for some children, if lack of empathy is the major deficit.

No idea what's wrong with these two, besides something.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm. That's very interesting, and if in fact there is not the subculture around this character that was referred to in the articles I saw, then indeed something else is going on. Pretty strange nonetheless.

ETA: Apparently Slenderman is a character who shows up in various locations, not just Creepypasta, according to this Reuters article:

The character appears in many stories published in online forums, including the Creepypasta.com, a place where amateur writers upload so-called fan-fiction, particularly stories about paranormal characters.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It reminds me a bit of the Parker-Hume case--two young girls with some kind of folie a deux?
http://murderpedia.org/female.H/h/hulme-juliet.htm

Yeah, I was thinking of that case, as well.

I've seen comments on various sites along the lines of "This is why you need to monitor your kids' internet usage!" But frankly, that seems to miss the point. They didn't decide to try to kill this girl just because they read horror stories online. And what reasonable parent is going to believe that their kid is a potential killer just because they enjoy reading Creepypasta? That's not a warning sign.

Maybe there was some lack of supervision over these girls, and maybe their parents ignored some warning signs. It's hard to know right now. You'd think there'd be some warning signs. But I've seen people react to this like the girls should have been supervised like 5-year-olds. Reading stories online and going to the park with friends are not insanely risky behaviors or things that, on their own, should cause alarm.

I'm glad the victim is in stable condition.