Received feedback from beta's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
So, I completed my first novel back in February of this year. It took 9 long months of tears, sweat and heartache, but I finally did it!! However, I was terrified of other's reading it. Well, at the end of last month I sent it out to about a dozen beta readers, and I've gotten 4 critiques back thus far. 2 of them loved it, one said it needed work, but enjoyed it, and the most recent HATED it lol! But ya know what? I took it like a champ, graciously thanked them for taking the time out to share in my project, and implemented some of their changes without diving into a container of Haagen Daz!! Yay me!!

Lanaa

Maggie McT

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Lanaa! Great achievement! I'm really hoping to be where you are by Christmas this year so you are my inspiration today : ) I have ready made beta readers in my siblings so I'm sure there'll be no holding back with them! Did your negative reviewer really just say 'hated it!'?? Wow!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
You should never dive into a pint sized container of Haagen Daz, as it can cause head and neck damage. Only dive into quart size containers, but not Rocky Road, see above.

CGs!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lanaa, sounds like you're thinking like a pro already. Good for you!

Do bear in mind that you need a good strong spoon for eating ice cream from the container. Many an author has bent many a spoon.

Maryn, thinking the big steel serving spoon might be good

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to eat ice cream is straight out of the tub. And keep a glass of warm water handy for that really frozen to brick like hardness ice cream. It'll tear through the ice cream and make it easily scoopable.
Congrats. NEVER take anything a beta says personally. They're telling you their subjective opinions of what they think your book needs. It is up to you to decide whether or not to implement said changes.

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Great job finishing the novel and taking the critiques well. I imagine most of us can relate--it can be a challenge to not get a little down after working so hard on something and hoping others will like it, then finding out someone doesn't. But as benluby said, it's subjective. (The nice agents who have sent me rejection letters have said the same thing.) Congrats again!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, Lanaa! It's hard to be professional when critiques are coming in, but you did it! Congrats and best wishes!

Canton

A tethered mind
Registered
Reaction score
So, I completed my first novel back in February of this year. It took 9 long months of tears, sweat and heartache, but I finally did it!! However, I was terrified of other's reading it. Well, at the end of last month I sent it out to about a dozen beta readers, and I've gotten 4 critiques back thus far. 2 of them loved it, one said it needed work, but enjoyed it, and the most recent HATED it lol! But ya know what? I took it like a champ, graciously thanked them for taking the time out to share in my project, and implemented some of their changes without diving into a container of Haagen Daz!! Yay me!!

Lanaa

Awesome, Lanaa. Some stories just don't strike a chord with some people. The ones where it does strike a chord, it's nice to know when they've appreciated what you've written so much.

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Lanaa! Great achievement! I'm really hoping to be where you are by Christmas this year so you are my inspiration today : ) I have ready made beta readers in my siblings so I'm sure there'll be no holding back with them! Did your negative reviewer really just say 'hated it!'?? Wow!

Lol, not in those exact words! I really think it just wasn't their cup of tea, but there were valid points brought to the surface, so I appreciated it. But uh yea, there was lots of ALL CAPS ACTION lol and the email was veryyyyy long. Oh well :)

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
You should never dive into a pint sized container of Haagen Daz, as it can cause head and neck damage. Only dive into quart size containers, but not Rocky Road, see above.

CGs!

Ugh, ya know I 'm a nurse, I should know better!! Thanks for the valuable advice. I will try to avoid diving into anything ice cream related. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.