To edit or not to edit....

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
If you come across a manuscript that needs some work but that you feel shows promise and would sell well, would you take it on? or send it back to the author and tell them it needed more work? Just curious because i've heard editors now want the manuscripts almost perfect before they'll accept them for publication.

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Toni,
It would depend on just how much work it would need. Every manuscript needs some editing or reworking, so regardless of how clean it is, in all likelihood the author will have to make some changes. If it's poorly written we won't consider it. The way I look at it, if an author submits a manuscript that he or she thinks still needs work, he or she should NOT be submitting it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
editing

Toni1953 said:
If you come across a manuscript that needs some work but that you feel shows promise and would sell well, would you take it on? or send it back to the author and tell them it needed more work? Just curious because i've heard editors now want the manuscripts almost perfect before they'll accept them for publication.

Nomad is right. It all depends on how much work, and maybe more important, how much potential an agent or editor sees in a manuscript. If an agent or editor sees dollar signs when they look at a manuscript, they'll try to do whatever it takes to get it in shape.

But good editors always ask the writer to make any major changes. Editing does not mean rewriting. Ever. Rewriting is the responsibility of the writer. A good editor points out the things that he believes are flaws, and gives the writer suggestions on how these flaws might be fixed.

But good editors never try rewriting a novel. If you catch an editor doing this, run like crazy.