Registered
Reaction score
I remember playing with pogs and ...

slap bracelets,

Sega Genesis

Sega game gear,

Super Nintendo

NES

DOS games that used floppy disk (like eight F'ing floppy disk to install one game)

I remember having to manually open windows in dos (not windows 95 but windows)

I remember when having 415 megabytes on your computer meant you were a bad ass.

The first Wolfenstein and Doom and Hexin

I miss when DOS games would insult you for going back to windows (little messages that read "What? Too much action for you? Wanna cry and run back to windows you little sissy?"

I remember when you could rent computer games and when computer games had superior graphics that no console on the planet could touch.

Finally I remember smelly markers ... coloring and then the scent of grape fills your nose... I never used the black marker because I hate liquorish .. and when I did I held my breath.

So what are some the things you remember?

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember my koosh, pogo-ball, trolls (and of course, the ones with the jewels on their bellies), Teddy Ruxpin and glow worms...scrunchies!

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember not having air conditioning.

I remember sitting in front of a big floor fan to get cool.

I remember opening windows in the car by hand, including the "wings" or side vents. You always wanted to open your side vent if you had the main window down, to regulate how much breeze blew into your face.

I remember saddle shoes!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I remember playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego through Prodigy.

I remember when you went into an EB games and the entire store was filled with computer game boxes that were 5x bigger than the game disc inside them.

I remember the easter egg to play pinball on Word '97.

A lot of my childhood memories involve games...

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when a person walking down the street and talking to themselves was scary, and not just someone on the phone.

I remember having to copy the professor's posted homework solutions down, laboriously, by hand instead of just photographing them with my cell.

iLion

Why do I say these things?
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvsQ9hYKq7c
Do any remember when seat belts were first mandated? First we had to have them available in our cars, but then.... omg... we were required to actually WEAR them! People (including me!) were so incensed about that. :)

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I remember when my sister and I, between us, owned every original My Little Pony that came out. Including the 12 "birth month flower" ponies and the first baby ponies, that you had to mail in "horseshoe points" from the packages to get.

I remember how annoying Capri-Suns were to open. (And still are, dang it!)

I remember after-school specials on TV.

I remember watching CBS Storybook Playhouse (most of which, frankly, weren't spectacular, IIRC. And they ran The Red Room Riddle every other freakin' week, I swear... though I only ever saw the animated Pit Dragon one once.)

I remember how good a Jello Pudding Pop tasted on a warm day.

I remember how utterly awesome the Commodore computer system was.

I remember when video games were about fun and imagination, not cloning the latest hit or rooking the general public.

I remember staying up all night - literally - to write my first finished short story in Speedscript 3.2... and having to break it across two files because it maxxed out the memory.

I remember having to enter printer codes to do fancy stuff in word processors... and how Dad sat down and, by trial and error, charted them all out on a cheat sheet.

I remember typing in the code, line by line, to draw a picture on the Tandy computers at school... and mostly being impatient until I finished the assignment and could goof off in Meteor Mission.

I remember laughing at the cowardly green tiger in He-Man... though I don't remember anything else about the show.

I remember seeing the report of the Challenger disaster interrupt the morning cartoons before I went to school.

I remember the wavy-line pattern as the Timex-Sinclair 1000 loaded games via tape cassette.

I also remember tape cassettes.

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I remembered when I learned about 8 track when I started messing around with a piece of furniture that turned out to be a radio, 8 track player, and record player.

I do remember watching Whacky racers and Animaniacs and SWAT Kats

I remember those little things that looked like Frito chips but you had to snap them together to make a ball.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do any remember when seat belts were first mandated? First we had to have them available in our cars, but then.... omg... we were required to actually WEAR them! People (including me!) were so incensed about that. :)

Yes. How dare they? :D

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Standing up in the back seat of the car, hanging half-over the front seat driving my parents crazy, until one of them would tell us to sit down and stop driving 'em crazy.

Ice cube trays made of metal, that would stick to you if your hands were wet when you took 'em out of the freezer -- and you had to pull the lever to break up the cubes, and ended up with little bits of crushed ice amongst the cubes.

Playing with my little sis in the back of the station wagon, when we had to drive very far (it was Montana. Everwhere was very far.)

Building a ramp from old boards and a few bricks, to jump my bicycle off of -- because I'd seen Evel Knievel on TV. We didn't wear any of that sissy stuff, though, like helmets and elbow or knee pads.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes! And freezers that didn't defrost themselves!

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when a NYC subway token was a dollar. Hell, I remember NYC subway tokens.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I remember when you pulled up to a pump and there was an attendant who would ask you "Leaded or unleaded?" -- then he checked your oil and washed your windshield.

And when gas hit a dollar a gallon and my dad stomped around swearing that if people just refused to pay that much, they'd have to back down on the price.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I remember when you pulled up to a pump and there was an attendant who would ask you "Leaded or unleaded?" -- then he checked your oil and washed your windshield.

And when gas hit a dollar a gallon and my dad stomped around swearing that if people just refused to pay that much, they'd have to back down on the price.
I remember being able to fill up a whole tank of gas on $10. It was only 10 years ago.

I remember turning a knob on the tv to turn it on, and then waiting for the image to gradually appear.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember having to wear a garter belt when I was finally old enough to wear stockings, and thinking that the invention of pantyhose was a special gift from God to me.

I remember stealing my brother's Stony Smith doll (a cheaper, larger version of G.I. Joe) to play love scenes with my Barbie doll.

I remember saving my allowance to buy a Jingle Jump and then discovering that I was too uncoordinated to make it work right.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I remember listening to my 45s on the portable record player that came in a little suitcase.

I remember banana seats on bikes, with a fox tail hanging off the back and a rabbit's foot on my key chain.

I remember lying in bed at night listening to the top 40 on AM radio (transistor), which was balanced on a metal folding chair--background sounds of the handball players in the park across the street, and of course, the metal whir and click of the box fan.

I remember stoop ball and stick ball.

Manual typewriters, and the scrape you'd get when your finger slipped between the keys, or you'd go too fast and the type bars would get jammed together on the paper--somehow, they'd unstick at the wrong time and your index finger would get hammered.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when a pack of cigarettes was $0.20.

I remember when an aqua Princess phone was the apex of cool.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I learned typing on an ASR-33, so get off my lawn!
Do any remember when seat belts were first mandated?
Mid-late 1960s?

First we had to have them available in our cars, but then.... omg... we were required to actually WEAR them! People (including me!) were so incensed about that. :)
The Georgia must-wear seat belt law went into effect about 1988-1990, don't remember exactly. I had quit drinking a couple months or years earlier, and I ALWAYS wore my seatbelt, even when driving drunk (yeah - that one time, when I was arrested for DUI).

Even so, I was also angry at the new law, and I didn't even know what libertarian meant.

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I remember color bars and only having four tv channels.
I remember when my grandparents finally got running water.