PDA

View Full Version : Hospital stay length after getting shot in the leg?

la-gamine
05-29-2014, 06:52 AM
So I have a police officer that gets shot in the leg, I was wondering how long they would be in the hospital for? Also, would two months be a reasonable enough recovery period before they return to work?

The cop is a 30 year old female and the setting is 1980s France.

Thanks to any help!

melindamusil
05-29-2014, 09:17 AM
The answer is... What works for your story?
"Shot in the leg" could vary from a minor, treat-and-release graze wound, to a severe injury with complications that takes months to heal.

JulianneQJohnson
05-29-2014, 11:54 AM
The leg is full of arteries and bones, so it's a dicey place to be shot. Think about exactly what kind of injury it is. Did it miss the arteries? Did it break a bone? Did it bust a kneecap? No arteries hit but one of the large bones damaged might be a couple months. Artery hit to me like it could take longer. Kneecap pulverized might mean they never walk on that leg again. Choose the type of injury that goes best with your timeline.

Matchu
05-29-2014, 02:20 PM
<Heureusement, it was only a flesh wound. I am reporting for the duty after two months rest and recreation in French Fiji, Montserrat, one of zose places>

or

<Quelle horreur, inspecteur...the titanium implant runs from my thigh to shin. However, using the remote control I can make my usual twenty kilometres at the gym, and also apprehend the criminals on the street>

<You are quite a lady, Linda. Quite a cop>

<Ah ah a, she is the robocopper, n'est pas>

<Be quiet Francois, back to duty everybody>

la-gamine
05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
So let's assume no arteries were hit or bones broken. I doubt they would keep her in the hospital for the full duration of the healing process. At what point would they send her home after treating her? A few days? A week?

NateSean
05-29-2014, 04:53 PM
Have you thought of actually talking to someone who works in the emergency room? I don't what the statistics are for gun violence in Canada, but I'm sure if you scheduled an appointment with an ER doctor who has seen and treated gun wounds, you could get a fairly accurate picture.

Maybe offer to buy them coffee on their off time, bring a notepad and just ask your questions. They don't even have to violate confidentiality because doctors are trained to share that kind of information with each other without revealing their patients identities.

PorterStarrByrd
05-29-2014, 04:55 PM
Don't know what the French philosophy is, but in the US she'd be released to recover at home as soon as it was safe to do so. (again, time depends on nature of wound). Bones generally take about six weeks to heal, flesh and muscle are well on the way at two weeks. Muscle/joint damage may to a year or two to recover full use without pain.

There would be periodic check-ups in the US.