Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may tread me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

"Still I Rise"

From "The Heart of a Woman", I remember reading Maya's account of when she met Billie Holiday. "You a jazz singer too? You any good?" A bumpy ride, but ultimately instructive and redemptive, as you might imagine.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I was shocked when I saw this headline. She seemed like one of those incredible people who are just too present to ever leave us. What an amazing woman. May she rest in peace.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
:(

We started reading her poetry in elementary school. I was 11 before I realized Maya was her first name, rather than her last. I thought her name was "Angela Maya," and the names were reversed for library shelving.

An amazing lady who fought her way up through a hard life.

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
Oh my goodness. I can't believe this. =\

When I was in high school, I had the chance to speak on the telephone with Dr. Angelou. She had a radio show through the Oprah Winfrey XM radio channel, and, somehow (I think one of my teachers might have put my name in), this silly young poet got the chance to speak with her one on one for a few minutes. She was very much the voice of sage wisdom, and our conversation is one of the few things legitimately good things from high school that I carry with me.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness. I can't believe this. =\

When I was in high school, I had the chance to speak on the telephone with Dr. Angelou. She had a radio show through the Oprah Winfrey XM radio channel, and, somehow (I think one of my teachers might have put my name in), this silly young poet got the chance to speak with her one on one for a few minutes. She was very much the voice of sage wisdom, and our conversation is one of the few things legitimately good things from high school that I carry with me.

That's wonderful, Zach. Can you share anything that she said?

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Because of this, I will never forget Maya Angelou. There are very few people who inspire me like she does. Her courage and artistry will live on in our hearts.

Still I Rise

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A truly wonderful, inspirational woman. The world is a little poorer without her. :(

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The Erasure of Maya Angelou’s Sex Work History

Dr. Maya Angelou, American Poet Laureate, most famous for authoring I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, passed away at age 86 on May 28th, 2014. Her literary agent Helen Brann confirmed the news to press, and thus began a worldwide outpouring of grief. The top trending tag on Twitter was “RIP Maya Angelou” and, at the time of this writing, it is one of four Maya Angelou-related trending hashtags. She is hailed as a national best selling author, a genius, a spiritual God-, Grand-, and mother. She is lauded as everything Black women should aspire to emulate in life. So why is it very few of us know she was a sex worker? Why is it, even in her death, as in her life, it’s such a guarded secret? Why was this secret kept by seemingly everyone except Dr. Angelou herself?

We can, once again, boil it down to respectability politics and stigma. I am angry about it. I find myself ruminating, considering, wondering: If her work had been talked about as much as her dancing with James Baldwin or even her considerable, commanding and lovely height of six feet, what would the sex work community look like today? If we had talked about her wonderful compassion for sex workers, how she never looked down on them, and her refusal to be intimidated by invasive and obnoxious questioning about her sex working past, what would sex workers around the world be saying today in memory of her life?

Instead, we read post after post, obituary after tribute, calling her a “pimp” and saying she had “an unsuccessful stint as a prostitute." The most detailed accounts currently online are making sure to emphasize that she spent a “brief stint,” a “short time” in the sex industry, so as to, without explicit words, solidify the shame they believe she should have felt, the shame we should feel as well. The media uses inflammatory terms to get clicks and to emphasize the terrible and shameful secret that was, in actuality, never a secret at all.
http://titsandsass.kinja.com/the-erasure-of-maya-angelou-s-sex-work-history-1583644165/all

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please. Not This.

I like my Africentric/Black Pride art as much as the next brother, but this...

40a82146-d221-4f46-b02b-f7ae8114ebdd_zpsb7ebad0f.png

...is just all kinds of wrong.

I get the idea behind it, but no. Just no. :gaah

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
please please please tell me this available on velvet.

Sure is! We also have the black light version with Elvis. :hat:

And with Juneteenth right around the corner for the Ultimate in Photoshop Fail don't miss out on this gem!

MalcolmXObamaDrKing_zps6f2b0135.jpg

"Goddamn, but this is a boring football game."

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The body of the late poet, performer, speaker, activist, actress, writer, and certified national treasure Maya Angelou will be interred after both public and private services this week. And, as with most solemn and high-profile post-tragedy events, the prescription strength assholes of the Westboro Baptist Church plan to protest.

Unfortunately for the GOD HATES FAGS-sign toting church members, Angelou's funeral procession and memorial events will be protected by a burly motorcycle gang. The group 2 Million Bikers announced plans to form a "wall" between Angelou's mourners and the pencil dick Westboro mourners despite the fact that the group's leadership claims it doesn't endorse Angelou's views. In fact, perusing the group's Facebook page is a little painful, like reading all the forwards from your arch conservative uncle that automatically get sent to your spam folder at once while Rush Limbaugh gargles talking points in the background. But at least these self-proclaimed lovers of freedom believe in promoting it for everyone, even those with whom they disagree. From the group's Facebook page:
[2 Million Bikers] are not riding in support of Angelou's beliefs. "We are riding to protect her funeral from WBC," [a spokeswoman] said. "If we allow WBC to protest her funeral what will stop them from protesting one of our funerals?"

Bee continued to say that even though her organization does not agree with Angelou, they will fight for the rights of all people to speak freely.

"No we do not agree with her beliefs, but we agree with her freedom to have & voice those beliefs. That is what freedom is about! If we attempt to shut up all those who disagree with us are we not doing the same thing as them?"
http://jezebel.com/biker-gang-to-protect-maya-angelous-funeral-from-westbo-1584909762