delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Wow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27606776#TWEET1141222

Poet, author and activist Maya Angelou has died at the age of 86.

One of America's leading literary voices of the last 50 years, Angelou was best-known for her 1969 memoir I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

It was the first of seven volumes of autobiography that traced her life from a childhood of abuse and oppression in the Deep South in the 1930s.

The news was confirmed to the BBC by the Mayor's office in her home town of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think we can honor Maya Angelou in more than one room, if that's all right with you, Perks.

I'm really moved by her passing. She was a huge inspiration to me and many others.

"I want to write so well that a person is 30 or 40 pages in a book of mine ... before she realizes she's reading," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/28/us/maya-angelou-obit/

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
She was a massive inspiration to me too.

I'm sorry to hear she's gone. We've lost a good un.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sad loss of a wonderful voice. :applause: for Maya and :ty:.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
She spoke, and read, at a convocation I attended in the late eighties. I can't think a speaker I've heard since that day who moved me more.

May the road rise to meet you Ms. Angelou, and may the wind be always at your back.

Rest in Peace.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard her speak as part of a lecture series maybe 15 years ago. She was awe inspiring. Her voice rolled over you like warm chocolate sauce.

RIP

MM

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I grew up in an impoverished, backward town, without much in the way of education or opportunity. I had the fortune of being invited to an educational summer camp where I took a writing course. We watched a video of Maya Angelou reading excerpts from her autobiography. It was truly inspiring, and to this day, I still can't bear to keep a bird as a pet.

And because we're all writers, can I just say that I wish commenters on the articles I've been reading would stop calling her an "angle."

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I cried when I saw she had passed away. She was one of my influences to become a writer, and her quotes of wisdom helped me through several rough times in my life. She was an amazing lady, a true inspiration to so many out there. She's going to be missed. :(

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Her body may have died, but her spirit never will. Ask anyone a hundred years from now who Maya Angelou was, and if they're at all intelligent, they'll know.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Dittoing James Ritchie's sentiments. This is one spirit that isn't dead, even though the body is gone.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
I was privileged to see her speak once. Such an inspiration--and so accessible, too. I'm a bit at a loss for words here. What's weird is I don't feel sad. More like she's ascended to the next plane of existence, leaving behind this legacy of sadness and yearning transformed into beauty.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
The world's lost a thoughtful heart.

My favorite quote is one of hers: "You never run out of creativity. The more you use the more you have."

jilly61

aye aye in search of an agent
Registered
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to attend one of her readings in the 90s. She was so full of life and humanity shone from her. She really was a wonderful lady. RIP Maya.

Status
Not open for further replies.