• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Fantasy seeking beta, will swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
Hey AW!

I'm looking for fresh eyes on my YA fantasy. It's 85k-ish, and the query/blurb/pitch-ma-jig that I've come up with goes thusly:

Amidst the coal-smoke grime of Allegheny City, a child’s death in a magical ritual teaches Hazel Congelier an uncomfortable truth: magic’s persecution by the Delfian Church is not quite the outdated injustice she has always imagined.

Hazel, a seventeen-year-old apprentice sorcerer, has always kept herself isolated from neighbors and schoolmates, half-content to live the safe-but-restrictive life of a girl with everything to hide. The Church has always been watching. But with a child to avenge, Church-trained soldiers patrol the streets in force, and those soldiers kill on sight. Hazel’s practiced lies and careful isolation aren’t enough to keep her safe anymore.

The city’s spell-casters are fighting back, using a more literal interpretation of the Church’s own morality—a life for a life, a Church official for a magic user. When the opportunity arises to join this plot for vengeance, Hazel leaps at the chance to reverse her lot. But murder mingles with magic and whimsy in the secret corners of Allegheny City, and Hazel has just as much to fear from her fellow sorcerers as the Church they’re fighting against.

Also--if you stalk my old threads (which I do before offering to beta), once upon a time I posted a first chapter to SYW, but the book doesn't look anything like that anymore. Just FYI.

I'm happy to swap, but I'd really like to focus on stuff I know and like--sci-fi and fantasy MG through adult, mostly. I also like reading YA and MG contemporary, though I have little experience writing it. I'm probably not the right reader for anything with romance in the genre name (I have little experience reading it, and less writing), and I'm not super into mysteries or thrillers at any age category.

Send me a PM if you're interested in reading or swapping! Thanks, all :)

Last edited:

RSBroadhead

Registered
Reaction score
Beta Reader

Hey! Have you found someone yet? I am actucally looking for someone to swap with also. My book is a NA Fantasy. It's the second one of the series. If you want to creep my Facebook, I'm totally cool with that. My page is R.S. Broadhead. Let me know!

amillimiles

Registered
Reaction score
This sounds fantastic and just like my cup of tea. I'm also a YA fantasy writer, and my current novel is set in a world where Fate can be seen and manipulated, featuring a strong female protagonist. I'm also one of the few YA writers whose novels do not have strong romantic subplots - yay, we match?

I'm looking for more of a critique partner, and hoping to build a circle of writing buddies who are prepared to go through the editing/querying/publishing process together. I don't have experience in beta reading, but I'm an able writer and specialize in this genre. Please PM me if you're interested in doing a swap :)

UndergoingMitosis

Waiting for interphase to start
Registered
Reaction score
Point of clarification--my book has a romantic subplot, and it's fairly majorish. I just don't have a lot of experience reading/writing romance as a genre, so I'm not familiar with tropes and clichess and what's fresh and what's not and all that stuff a good beta can give you an idea about.

I'm also not looking for anymore betas right now--waiting for a round of feedback, and I don't want too many opinions all at once. My poor heart can't take it, lol. But I'm sending you a PM, snowbeamer!

Seriously, thanks all :) Not looking for any more readers right this second, though.

shmglsky

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be willing to look at it for a tit for tat if you ever want "more" fresh eyes.

Though not comfortable with the term beta reader, a critiquer seems the proper word.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.