Signage, Swag for Author Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnieBDowell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookechoes.com
I'm gearing up for my first author event, and I know I need something besides just me, books, and a table. (It's part of a larger, local author and artist event, so I'll need to attract folks to my table.) For those who have done events/book signings before, what worked well for you? Did you give out bookmarks or other freebies? What printer did you use for signs and swag? Staples, Vistaprint, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
P.S.: The event is going to be outside.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Connie, you should ask your publisher if they'll help you with this. Most are pleased to provide something.

ConnieBDowell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookechoes.com
Thanks, Old Hack.

Actually, I am an indie author, so I'm on my own. Oh well, I think I'll do well enough with what I come up with and learn for the next event.

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
I typically get "signing cards" from psprint.net or GotPrint. Take a 4x6 postcard, put the book cover (or a series of covers) on one side, then the blurb and a QR code which contains buy links, my site and mailing list sign up on the back.

I'm not doing much beyond that because it's not in the budget and because I seriously wonder how much people even realize they have swag once they get home. Sometimes, I will do bottlecap magnets, which I make myself. They're easy and cheap (buy a large quantity of supplies and then have them on hand whenever you need them)

Many authors I know are also doing things like the rubber bracelets, chapstick, hand sanitizer or personalized items that relate to the book

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
P.S.: The event is going to be outside.
So chocolates are probably out. :)

There are a ton of marketing gimmicks you can try, some will work and some won't. First and foremost is having copies of your book(s) available. The signing cards with a QR code for the electronic versions work well too. Bookmarks should go in every book you sign or sell and be available for pickup.

Beyond that, budget will dictate what's appropriate. I know one writer who has felt tip pens printed with her web site and signs each book with one and includes it to the buyer. Another gives away a USB stick with samples of her books. Bottles of water might work if someone passing by is thirsty and it gets them to stop. Make sure your book cover is the water bottle label.

Lastly, business cards are a must. Can't tell you how many signings I see where none are available.

Jeff

scifi_boy2002

Registered
Reaction score
I think that just you, your book and a table is all you really need. Having book marks and/posters are nice, but you don't need them. The quality of the book is what people really want. If you have an attractive cover that is the first step. Otherwise, just be yourself. A business card is handy and having a link to your webpage is good. I've been to many book signings and I've seen people bring all sorts of "extras", but in the end. They did not really sell any more books than those who had only their book.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have any ideas other than what others have mentioned up-thread, but since it's outside, keep in mind wind and rain. Have some attractive paperweights or rubber bands for your postcards, business cards, or bookmarks. Any signage you have consider Scotch tape or clear packing tape for better holding strength and pushpins to hold down anything. If you have a poster with a tripod, use a tripod that can be held down in an attractive manner. (Yeah, I do outdoor events for tastings and I'm used to strong wind.)

Good luck and enjoy yourself!

Colonist17

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Try printing out some 8X10 photos of your book cover(s), place them in a frame, and display them at your table. With the books laying flat on the table, sometimes it's easy to pass the table up. For whatever reason, if you have something in a simple frame, it grabs the eyes of those passing by. You can print the 8X10's at a local store like Walgreen's or CVS for cheap.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I think that just you, your book and a table is all you really need. Having book marks and/posters are nice, but you don't need them. The quality of the book is what people really want. If you have an attractive cover that is the first step. Otherwise, just be yourself. A business card is handy and having a link to your webpage is good. I've been to many book signings and I've seen people bring all sorts of "extras", but in the end. They did not really sell any more books than those who had only their book.

No, no, no. Not true at all. You might not sell more of THOSE books to people with giveaways, but the books on the table aren't what you're selling. You're selling your backlist and soon-to-come books with giveaways. The book on the table might be the third of five intended, and what you're trying to do with a book signing at all is to make a reader aware of you.

If this is your first book, you want people to meet you. Tell them about your upcoming books and worlds you plan to write about in the future. It might be that this particular book isn't to their taste, but if they like you, the author, they might look up future books. Bookmarks aren't as big a thing as they used to be, now that ebooks are becoming more common. What I've seen a lot lately with ebook writers are QRscan cards with free chapters or short stories that a passer-by can take with them, click with their phone or tablet. The code links to a page on your website with the text they can read and see if they like it. It's then already on their tablet to take with them.

I've personally had the best luck with pens and other items that people can take home with them and use later. But I don't use cheap pens. I spend some quality money to buy metal pens with imprinting that actually take refills easily bought at an office supply store. I don't pass them out like penny candy, though, in a big basket on the table. I use them to sign with and pass it over to the person to sign up for a free basket or a newsletter. Usually, people like it so much that they wind up asking if they can have it. They then feel somewhat indebted and often buy a book. ;) I've had fans that have told me it was the pen that made them check out my books and then they've not only kept the pen, but bring it with them to every signing so I can sign their books with that pen. Another one I've had good luck with is a 6-pack cooler that they can take to the beach or pool. There's no better exposure to the books than being in a public place where a dozen or hundred people see it without you doing a thing. :)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I'm with Cathy on this one. I was at BEA with my publisher and we were handing out hundreds of copies of my fourth novel - but we had bookmarks showing the first three. People were very interested not just in the one we were giving out, but in the series as a whole.

Of course, this is the OP's first book, this may not be applicable. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.