PDA

View Full Version : Help with subject of drug trafficking needed

Stacey Sweeney
03-15-2006, 08:13 AM
In a book I'm writing, the main character finds out that her step-father was arrested for drug trafficking. She finds out in a newspaper article, and I'm not sure what the article should say. (I'm not including the whole thing in the book, just the headlines and a few important phrases.)

Thanks!!
Stacey

kristie911
03-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Is she finding out he was arrested or that he was sentenced for trafficking? If he's already been to court the article might be listed under court news with his name, crime and sentence, including fines and costs and jail or prison time.

**disclaimer on following information: this is how it works here in Michigan...elsewhere, I don't know**

However, if he was just arrested, it might say something like "Local man arrested" or "Man arrested for drug possession" anything like that, for a headline. Papers won't have the name until the offender has been in front of the magistrate who decides if he gets a chance to post bond or if he has to stay in jail until his court appearance.

If he has been before the magistrate, the paper will probably have his name. In that case, it becomes public record and they will print everything they have, including type of drugs and amounts the subject was found with, if he's been under investigation or if it was a "by chance" arrest i.e. traffic stop.

Of course, I live in a small town so EVERYTHING is printed in our little paper. In a slightly bigger city only the major drug arrests are even mentioned. I guess it depends on the circumstances.

Good luck!

rtilryarms
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Thats easy. I live in South Florida. Give me a couple particulars and I'll look up a headline for you.

Particulars: Smuggling nd running (cocaine), growing (pot), middle class (oxycontin, meth, etc), dumpster diving (crack), other (other).

Also was the father high level, mid level or just a street urchin?

What part of the world did Father ply his trade?

Rabe
04-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Papers won't have the name until the offender has been in front of the magistrate who decides if he gets a chance to post bond or if he has to stay in jail until his court appearance.

Interesting.

In Nevada it becomes public record at the time of arrest, not arraignment.

Of course bail is also set by Nevada Revised Statutes and can be increased/decreased by the judge at the time of arraignment (or any other time before/after that).

Rabe...

dahmnait
04-13-2006, 07:37 PM
In California, newspapers may report the crime, as well as any conviction and/or court proceedings. If the person has not been convicted, just remember to use the word allegedly or alleged.

Recent rains played part in drug trafficking arrest

Police arrested San Clariz resident, John Smith, Thursday evening after they pulled him over for a routine traffic stop. John Smith was allegedly carrying 5 pounds of crack cocaine in his vehicle. According to Sheriff Sarah Felts, "Mr. Smith was originally pulled over for speeding. When our officer approached Mr. Smith, he (Mr. Smith) became nervous and agitated and tried to flee the scene. Luckily, Mr. Smith's vehicle became stuck in the mud and Office Bob was able to apprehend him with no further resistance." yada yada yada...

Ok, so there is a reason I don't write for newspapers. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif However, you get the idea. One thing you can do to research, is to check online newspaper archives. Quite a few of them are free, even if you have to register with the site.

HTH