PDA

View Full Version : Question re: 2014 Guide to Literary Agents

literaryfictionaire
05-24-2014, 05:42 PM
I'll try to keep it short and sweet. How comprehensive is a book like this in covering at least moderately well-established agencies? I'm guessing agencies probably have to pay to get in here, so maybe less so than I originally thought. And others (e.g. Andrea Brown) may be "big" enough that they don't care about being in this type of book.

My guess would be that the biggest factor is whether they're actively seeking new clients or not.

Thoughts?

quicklime
05-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I don't believe they pay to get in there.

At the same time there are many online resources which are likely more current and more complete....

Old Hack
05-24-2014, 07:39 PM
No one pays to be included in the listings section of such directories. They might pay to be featured more prominently, but that's all.

Note that the publishers of those directories include anyone and everyone they can find. Which means that while they'll include a lot of good, solid, reliable agents and publishers, they'll also include a cartload of spammers and scammers, along with the clueless, the malicious, and the downright dangerous.

You should only use them as a starting-point in your search for an agent.

Zenning
05-26-2014, 02:53 AM
they'll also include a cartload of spammers and scammers, along with the clueless, the malicious, and the downright dangerous.

I wasn't always aware of scammer-publishers before, but read one warning on a publisher on AW that I initially interested to submit. So, do read up AW postings, a very supporting community here.

Jennifer_Laughran
05-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Not only do we not pay, but most of the time we are not even asked to chime in, check for correctness or anything. Thus, print guides are often out-of-date or just plain wrong from the get-go.

J.Reid
06-05-2014, 04:30 PM
I'd pay to be excluded in fact. These published books are, as Jennifer pointed out, not the most reliable source of info.

JulianneQJohnson
06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
I had the 2013 guide, in paperback form. It is very inclusive and runs the gamut from the major players to the scammers. It was a great place to start, and I liked it because I could highlight and write all over it.

You still have to do your own research though. Go to an agent's site and get updated submission guidelines, check here and at P&E for scammers. So good I found it a helpful general resource, as long as I still did my own legwork.