PDA

View Full Version : Where do you place the TV

jaus tail
05-23-2014, 03:38 PM
Hi,

The TV is a box one, it's not one which you can mount on the wall. What is the furniture called on which you place it? It's not a table, but I don't know what it's called.

Like it's got shelves where you can put these decorative items, like small statues or a vase. But I don't what it's called.

Any help?

Marlys
05-23-2014, 03:41 PM
It's called a TV stand. The larger, fancier ones are entertainment centers. Go to any furniture store website and take a peek.

waylander
05-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Television cabinet?

jeseymour
05-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Ours is an entertainment center. Great big thing with doors to hide the tv when not in use. Also has a side door with shelves for the stereo, and drawers under the tv for VHS and DVD storage.

Maryn
05-23-2014, 05:48 PM
A box-style TV sits on a TV stand, which usually has a top surface on which the TV sits, below it shelves or a cabinet or just the stand's long legs. http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvutf8APIe1qleo4jo1_400.png

Or it may sit inside a cabinet which raises it just far enough from the floor to be watchable, although those are largely from a bygone era, depicted by little girls in dresses and boys in dungarees watching it seated on the floor. http://www.networkweaving.com/blog/uploaded_images/watchingTV1950ent1-767606.jpg

Of course, plenty of people just put it on an existing table or cabinet, or bought one which arrived built into a piece of nice furniture.

Maryn, who has a TV or two

mrsmig
05-23-2014, 05:52 PM
A credenza. Or, if you're talking about one of those cabinets that opens up to display the TV, an armoire.

Orianna2000
05-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Ours is just a TV stand. It's basically a cube, about two feet high, with built-in shelves for a DVD player, stereo, etc. The fancier ones, as mentioned, are called entertainment centers.

jeffo
05-23-2014, 06:49 PM
Mine was on old milk crates when I was in college...

Gringa
05-23-2014, 07:06 PM
A hutch? It has shelves and can hold a small box tv.

WeaselFire
05-23-2014, 08:35 PM
The TV is a box one, it's not one which you can mount on the wall. What is the furniture called on which you place it? It's not a table, but I don't know what it's called.

Like it's got shelves where you can put these decorative items, like small statues or a vase. But I don't what it's called.

Any help?

Oh wow. I didn't realize how freakin' old I am until just now. I've had "box" televisions... :)

TV stand, entertainment center or credenza. Even though they are dinosaurs of the electronics world, these pieces of furniture are still sold. Even online.

Jeff

AuthorUnknown
05-23-2014, 10:00 PM
Also, just because I'm here and read it all and feel the need to contribute, the box tv is called a CRT TV, or cathode ray tube television.

jaus tail
05-23-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies. Entertainment center is the word.

Bolero
05-24-2014, 10:32 PM
Incidentally credenza is very USA - I'd not even heard of that until I read Scott Adams' Dilbert.

Hoplite
05-27-2014, 10:17 PM
I say "console".

Laina1312
05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
TV stand, entertainment center.

Although mine's on a chair in my closet.

Koschei
05-29-2014, 03:34 PM
You can mount a box TV on the wall if you really want to. You just need the right type of bracket (one with a shelf attached). I had a really old TV (a television-VCR combi) mounted on the wall in my bedroom for ages until recently when my mum decided to drag me into the 21st century kicking and screaming and bought me a modern one.

Cathy C
05-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I had a really old TV (a television-VCR combi) mounted on the wall in my bedroom for ages until recently when my mum decided to drag me into the 21st century kicking and screaming and bought me a modern one.

I feel really, REALLY old now because really old in my head includes only TVs that didn't contemplate the concept of movies in the home that weren't on discs like LPs. They got over-the-air network only and you'd need an engineering degree to put it on the wall without ripping the studs right through the drywall. :rolleyes: