Not open for further replies.

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Let's say you have an article due in three hours. The assignment -

Pick out one verse from the Bible...your favorite one maybe. One single verse, and tell us why it's so relevant today.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have to answer this one, as I was just emailing a wonderful friend (who I happened to meet on a writer's forum!) about a verse's relevance to me today. (It would be too hard to pick a favorite, so I'll just go with the most recent one that has spoken to me.) The verse also happens to be one which prompted an article from me that was published last year. Which just goes to show that His words are fresh with every reading, as it was something I really needed to hear again this morning.

It's the verse in Psalm 57:2--"I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me." The past couple of months have been very 'dry' ones for me in the writing dept. (note "Muse wanted" above my avatar). I've found myself fretting over not 'doing' anything of significance as a result. I've prayed, and waited, and waited some more. Nothing. Then this morning I read that, and it hit home. I don't do anything of significance, anyway--it's God who does whatever He wants to accomplish through me, to the extent that I am yielded and listening to Him. Instead of fretting over my lack of doing, I should be more concerned with my being...am I yielded, am I listening? (Funny how I don't fret about that.) And do I believe God is at work regardless of what I can see? At the time David wrote this Psalm, he was the newly anointed future king of Israel--and hiding in a cave because King Saul was closing in on him to kill him. And yet he could say (because his God was 'Most High') that this God was fulfilling His purpose for him. He could also say, vv. 7-10, "My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music...for great is Your love, reaching to the heavens; Your faithfulness reaches to the skies." My heart can be steadfast because of who He is--He is faithful, regardless of what I see happening in my life.

Anyway, that's my verse offering...and now I'm off to write a devotional on it :). (Neat thread!)

Puddle Jumper

Are you cheating to get help with a homework assignment? ;)

Do you just want the verse or are you wanting us to come up with an essay as well?

theengel

Complete Joke
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sahdguide.info
Really...total conversation and brainstorming...that's it. When I started writing, I was ahead on all my projects. In mid post, I got a phone call on some business writing stuff, so I never got my chance to walk the talk...but I will soon.

I notice that I write more naturally on a forum than on an article. So sometimes I'll take a forum post (one of my own) and turn it into an article. I thought I'd start now so that I'd have something by next weekend.

But I honestly have no intention of getting a free article from you folks. If you care to monitor, check my site where all of my religious articles get posted.

To tell you the truth, I'm thinking the first commandment in Ex:20:3: "Thou shalt not have strange gods before me."

I know traditionaly, modern preachers and priests like to talk about money, poer, and lust being the contemporary false gods...but I think genuine idolatry is as alive today as it ever was.

More later...must get some sleep.

Puddle Jumper

I don't have my Bible right in front of me, but the verse that's coming to mind is the one where Jesus says to let your yes be yes and your no be no, I think as opposed to swearing and stuff like that.

I think this is very relevant because we live in a world where we're constantly changing our mind and going back on our word and justifying it. We are so good at justifying ourselves, our words, and our actions and this leads to us justifying sin I think. Well I lied because... It really wasn't gossip, it was just speaking the truth... etc...

Perhaps this also ties in with the verses about the tongue - it being filled with evil, and how we should work to tame it.

Status
Not open for further replies.