PDA

View Full Version : Shattered femur bone/patella fracture

meg_b
05-22-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm writing a story wherein a supercross rider has an accident which then leads to another person's motorcycle landing on his leg (after coming down from a jump). I want it so he has to have months and months of physical therapy with the idea that he may not be able to get back into supercross ever again due to the stiffness in his leg as well as having a limp. I was going to go with just a patella fracture, but my nanna (who is a nurse) suggested to add a shattered femur bone and broken bones in his leg as well. I've done my research on these fractures, but my question is to see if all of this was truly possible and how many months of physical therapy would he need before he could force himself to get back on a bike.

This is a man who has been on bikes his entire life and it's pretty much his world. So he would have a drive to push himself to get back on his motorbike as soon as possible, even when he truly isn't healed enough.

Thank you!

sheadakota
05-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Yes, that injury is possible in the scenario you describe, but I would also add a ruptured acl just to be sure.
One thing you might want to be aware of, femur fractures are treated with surgery. No casts involved. Depending on how old nana is, she might not know that.

arcan
05-22-2014, 02:34 PM
For having helpe on motorbike accident, a broken femur is indeed quite plausible. If you want a long therapy and a limp, the femur can have broken through the skin and some small bone parts fallen out of the body (all of this with blood but no injury to the artery, which would be fatal in a few seconds). That's one of the accidents I've helped on. I actually had to look around (a bit more than a dozen meters away even) to find a small part of the bone.

meg_b
05-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes, that injury is possible in the scenario you describe, but I would also add a ruptured acl just to be sure.
One thing you might want to be aware of, femur fractures are treated with surgery. No casts involved. Depending on how old nana is, she might not know that.

Thank you so much! I will add a ruptured acl to the injuries as well. And I've looked into the surgery and the recovery time etc is exactly what I need. Thank you again!

meg_b
05-23-2014, 05:39 PM
For having helpe on motorbike accident, a broken femur is indeed quite plausible. If you want a long therapy and a limp, the femur can have broken through the skin and some small bone parts fallen out of the body (all of this with blood but no injury to the artery, which would be fatal in a few seconds). That's one of the accidents I've helped on. I actually had to look around (a bit more than a dozen meters away even) to find a small part of the bone.

Oh wow, that sounds scary and very painful. It sounds plausible enough to use in my story too. Thank you so much for your help! :)

WeaselFire
05-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Ow! You really are cruel. :)

For the OP, any extreme sport can result in serious injuries with long-term recovery and therapy. The key is what the story requires, then back up and write an injury and process that can fit. You can also add complications into the surgeries, problems with rehab and other issues to meet your plot needs. These injuries also give way to potential mental recovery issues, so have fun with the process.

Jeff

AuthorUnknown
05-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Ooh, maybe he can get an infection too. That certainly wouldn't help.

Maybe one of his toes amputated....

meg_b
05-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Ooh, maybe he can get an infection too. That certainly wouldn't help.

Maybe one of his toes amputated....

That definitely sounds painful! Thank you for your help :)

Ow! You really are cruel. :)

For the OP, any extreme sport can result in serious injuries with long-term recovery and therapy. The key is what the story requires, then back up and write an injury and process that can fit. You can also add complications into the surgeries, problems with rehab and other issues to meet your plot needs. These injuries also give way to potential mental recovery issues, so have fun with the process.

Jeff

I will definitely be adding in mental recovery issues and complications in rehab. Thank you for your advice!

imjustj
05-27-2014, 01:19 AM
My brother broke his tibia and it shoved upwards, shattering the knee. The pieces of bone were so small, his body re-absorbed much of what had been the top surface of the tibia. He had several surgeries to make all the repairs (4, I think...), the final one being a total knee replacement. He had intensive therapy (both physical and mental) between each surgery. It was just shy of 3 years to complete recovery.

His x-rays look like someone dumped a junk drawer on his leg - screws, plates, and pins going every which way.

FWIW - he was in his mid-twenties, and a healthy athlete at the time of the accident. He pushed himself at each step of the recovery (often spending the entire day exercising in the pool) and had an extensive support system (both emotionally, physically and financially). I cannot see how someone without the drive and support could make it through the ordeal. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

CEtchison
05-27-2014, 02:18 AM
If you are wanting months and not years like imjustj described (and can I just say... OUCH!) a patella tendon tear significant enough to require surgery requires a minimum of 8 to 9 months of immobilization prior to physical therapy. And then the likelihood of full range of motion afterwards is far lower than in comparison to ACL and MCL tears. According to my DD's physical therapist, it is the most difficult of knee surgeries to rehab. So if you're wanting him to do a great deal of rehab, this might work.

As an aside, my DD suffered a patella dislocation and only a partial tendon tear in March and her knee was immobilized for a month in a locking knee brace prior to starting PT.