PDA

View Full Version : Help - describing the body appearance of a female fighter

Mariana
05-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone!!

I want to describe a female character who fights since the age of 16. I know how to describe the changes on her body (muscles etc) but Iím not sure about the skin appearance.

I have heard that for those who practice martial arts for a long time, their skin loses its flexibility due to the numerous hits, but what about its color? The skin is getting darker over the time or not?? Some people say that this does happen gradually, due to the numerous bruises caused on the training. Is this true? What else should I mention? I searched it in Google but I couldnít find anything else except from the benefits that martial arts cause on the body. :)

Thank you all for the help!!!!

mirandashell
05-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I did years of martial arts and never heard that it changes the colour of your skin through bruising.

Training outside will give you a tan but otherwise...

As for flexibility, it's scars that tighten the skin. So unless the fighting involves a lot of cuts, that won't happen either.

Mariana
05-21-2014, 06:54 PM
Thank you mirandashell!!! I wasn't sure about that "color" thing so your answer helps me a lot. So,... it's not the hits what actually tightens the skin??

Refill-the-Inkwell
05-21-2014, 07:59 PM
You may try researching Muhammad Ali's daughter, Laila Ali, she is a retired American professional boxer. It may be worth a try to see if you can find any old interviews given by her or old video clips of her actually boxing.

AuthorUnknown
05-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Another thing is the ears, especially wrestlers. If you google fighters like Randy Couture or Junior Dos Santos, they get what's called "cauliflower ears" from getting hit so much.

Oh and broken noses. They can become crooked or flattened.

mirandashell
05-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Thank you mirandashell!!! I wasn't sure about that "color" thing so your answer helps me a lot. So,... it's not the hits what actually tightens the skin??

No, not in my experience.

kuwisdelu
05-23-2014, 10:35 PM
I have heard that for those who practice martial arts for a long time, their skin loses its flexibility due to the numerous hits, but what about its color? The skin is getting darker over the time or not?? Some people say that this does happen gradually, due to the numerous bruises caused on the training. Is this true?

Only if those hits cause actual injuries, and apart from maybe calluses on a couple specific areas (depending on the art) that shouldn't happen often unless you're doing it wrong.

BDSEmpire
05-24-2014, 05:05 AM
A friend of mine is a teacher of martial arts and she's never looked anything but lovely - no skin changes or other "darkening" or whatever. She may have some calluses on her feet from all the ass-kicking going on, but otherwise her skin isn't affected by her profession.

sheadakota
05-24-2014, 05:11 AM
Another martial artist here, I've had my share of bruises and even broken bones but never any changes in my skin. Same color it's always been