PDA

View Full Version : Police procedure question.

hester
05-21-2014, 06:05 PM
I realize the answer probably varies across jurisdiction (this would be a US based story), but I'm trying to get a general idea of how the police would handle this situation. Briefly--seventeen year old small-town girl comes home to find the rest of her family murdered. She's not an out-and-out suspect (that comes later) but she's under suspicion. Also--no other family living in the immediate vicinity. Would she be taken into protective custody, or put into some sort of custodial situation? (Group home, something like that?) And would her comings and goings be monitored?

Many, many thanks in advance, and reppies for any and all input! :D

jeffo
05-21-2014, 06:22 PM
In general, as a legal minor, she would be put into the custody of the state and child services (name of department varies by state). Different states, as you note, have widely varied ways of handling children in their care. In general, they aren't restricted or monitored like they are suspects, but instead the social services will try to support them (with food and a roof, etc.).

Refill-the-Inkwell
05-21-2014, 07:53 PM
In Texas, it's called Texas Department of Family and Protective Services.

hester
05-22-2014, 05:42 PM
Thank you so much jeffo and Refill!

WeaselFire
05-23-2014, 04:59 AM
Here in Florida, with no relatives/guardians available, she would likely be assigned a temporary home in the same area if possible. Assuming she is not a flight risk, no obvious signs of medical trauma, not a named suspect, etc. she could even be assigned to a neighbor or friend's home with appropriate paperwork. She could also be assigned to a group home or even allowed to live on her own, depending on the specifics of the situation. In most cases, she would not be prevented from living in her home with a responsible adult assigned as a guardian for legal purposes. All of this can take some time to set up.

Now, what do you need to happen for your story?

Jeff

hester
05-27-2014, 06:38 PM
WeaselFire, thank you so much!! For purposes of the story, I may have her living with a neighbor (preferably one who doesn't pay too much attention to what's going on, since I need my MC to have some freedom of movement:)).