PDA

View Full Version : Astral Projection question

00Pepper
05-21-2014, 12:29 AM
I've done some very light research on astral projection. I'm going to keep reading but thought maybe someone here could answer my question.

- Can astral projection be done in your sleep?

williemeikle
05-21-2014, 12:36 AM
I've done some very light research on astral projection. I'm going to keep reading but thought maybe someone here could answer my question.

Proponents believe so, as an extension of lucid dreaming.

Others believe it's all just lucid dreaming anyway...

00Pepper
05-21-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

So if it happens in sleep is it intentional or just something that happens occasionally?

King Neptune
05-21-2014, 12:44 AM

yes

You probably should do the research.

00Pepper
05-21-2014, 12:48 AM
yes

You probably should do the research.

Thanks. I'm actually looking forward to it, I enjoy learning new things, I just figured if someone could help with that question then depending on the answer I'd know if it was the angle I was looking for.

Thanks again.

King Neptune
05-21-2014, 02:22 AM
Thanks. I'm actually looking forward to it, I enjoy learning new things, I just figured if someone could help with that question then depending on the answer I'd know if it was the angle I was looking for.

Thanks again.

There are great piles of contradictory evidence in regard to astral projection, and there's the matter of definition. Many people mistakenly think they have astral projected when it isn't, and others deny the possibility that it could have been astral projection, when that's exactly what it was.

Trebor1415
05-21-2014, 02:59 AM
Astral projection has never been proven, so you can make up your own rules. If you want your rules to be consistent to some sort of "general consensus" on Astral projection among those who believe in it, a small amount of research should give you info.

Siri Kirpal
05-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Depends on what you mean by astral projection. Many people back years ago told me that I was "out of body," which could mean astral projection. And yes, that would include sleep. Some people think that dreams where you are looking at yourself (as opposed to dreams where you are inside yourself) indicate astral projection.

There isn't any scientific evidence...either way...that I know of.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

CynHolt
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Eckankar (http://www.eckankar.org/index.html) is a "religion" based on astral projection or soul travel. You can probably find more there. They are one of the Christian/Eastern tradition hybrids.

Several Eastern traditions hint at astral projection, but you won't find much written on the subject. It is considered something for advanced students of meditation.

00Pepper
05-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Astral projection has never been proven, so you can make up your own rules. If you want your rules to be consistent to some sort of "general consensus" on Astral projection among those who believe in it, a small amount of research should give you info.

I was thinking of doing something along these lines but I want what I make up to be as believable as possible.

Eckankar (http://www.eckankar.org/index.html) is a "religion" based on astral projection or soul travel. You can probably find more there. They are one of the Christian/Eastern tradition hybrids.

Several Eastern traditions hint at astral projection, but you won't find much written on the subject. It is considered something for advanced students of meditation.

Thank you, this gives me a good place to start reading.

ETA: the little I have already read indicated it was part of some yoga practices. My cousin is a yoga instructor so now I'm curious to talk to her and see what she knows/thinks about it.

Telergic
05-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Since astral projection is a) not a real thing, and b) is something that various cults and mystical groups disagree over in every possible respect, you can do anything you want.

CynHolt
05-21-2014, 08:53 PM
ETA: the little I have already read indicated it was part of some yoga practices. My cousin is a yoga instructor so now I'm curious to talk to her and see what she knows/thinks about it.

Despite what yogis in this country have been told, Yoga is a fairly recent creation. The concept of astral projection is much older. But studying meditation is the right track. I studied Buddhism with a bunch of nuns and monks and they would relate stories about devotees practicing astral projection and travel and those stories go back hundreds of years. Yoga, as we know it comes out of that temple tradition, although it is based on Northern traditions of Hinduism.

Siri Kirpal
05-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Cyn, there's archeological evidence for yoga going back to at least 1000 years before the Rig Vedas. It predates Hinduism.

The experience of Astral Projection from what I do know of science seems to stem from the fact that most forms of meditation shut off the part of the brain that grounds us in time and space. Hence the sensation of flying. Just to balance this, most forms of meditation also increase the activity in the frontal lobe.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Telergic
05-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Yeah, yoga really is of ancient origin, though its current typical American form is a recent invention.

CynHolt
05-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Cyn, there's archeological evidence for yoga going back to at least 1000 years before the Rig Vedas. It predates Hinduism.

First, Hinduism is not a religion. That is a common misunderstanding of westerners, perpetuated by the British who lumped all the religions of the sub-continent into one because of a common language.

Secondly, there is only one Rig Veda, it's the first of the four major Vedas (Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda, Atharvaveda). No one knows exactly when the Vedas were written, because they were never dated. The Rig Veda was an oral tradition for years before it was ever written down and is considered to be about 4 thousand years old. All forms of Hinduism use the Rig Veda as scripture, but the acceptance of other Vedas varies throughout India. Since the Rig Veda does not include any evidence of meditation I would be very surprised to see older evidence. However, if you have references I lack, I would appreciate knowing about them.

Shadow_Ferret
05-21-2014, 11:28 PM
Since astral projection is a) not a real thing, and b) is something that various cults and mystical groups disagree over in every possible respect, you can do anything you want.
I've always tried to base my fictional occult on what is actually believed. Each occult activity has its own vocabulary and rules. It would be similar to writing about ghosts. You'd try to use the most current information or you're going to have some readers complaining that you have no clue.

Telergic
05-22-2014, 12:30 AM
I've always tried to base my fictional occult on what is actually believed. Each occult activity has its own vocabulary and rules. It would be similar to writing about ghosts. You'd try to use the most current information or you're going to have some readers complaining that you have no clue.

Sure enough; I'd agree in most cases, but this topic in particular has such a chaotic hodge-podge of conflicting notions surrounding it that there is no consistency whatsoever except for the core concept of leaving your body. You could go with some cult's ideas like Eckankar, or one of the Golden-Dawn-lineage groups with their cross-contamination from Blavatsky, or use some more authentic traditions from one of the Hindu sects or reference some hoax claiming to be records of government remote viewing experiments during in the cold war, but none of them will agree on what will be found in astral space and what you can do there. Honestly, you might as well use Dr. Strange as your reference book so long as you don't refer explicitly to the Eye of Agamotto.

King Neptune
05-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Thanks again.

That concept has been used in fiction before, and it worked nicely. One of the Fafhrd and Mouser stories had them meet someone who travelled in his sleep and fought some guards dogs, or something like that.

Cath
05-22-2014, 01:15 AM
The ferret is right. This forum is for research to allow people to review the available evidence on any subject. Telling people to make it up may be applicable elsewhere, but isn't in the spirit of this part of AW.

00Pepper
05-22-2014, 01:42 AM
I feel like I've opened a can of worms here and maybe shouldn't have posted at all. I was just looking for a quick answer of whether astral projection could be done intentionally in your sleep or not. I'm looking for a somewhat believable explanation for my MC being in her dreams physically and needed a place to start and an angle to pursue.

I do thank you all for your responses and based on your responses have already made a long list of different areas to read up on.

Siri Kirpal
05-22-2014, 01:44 AM

OP: In the book, Lives Charmed by Linda Sivertsen, the author interviews a number of celebs about their lives. One of these is Guru Singh, who studied with a Mexican shaman before he (Guru Singh) became a Sikh. During that time, the shaman would bury him underground (with air holes). After this went on for some time, Guru Singh found himself sitting next to the shaman and telling the shaman it was time to dig him up.

I think you might have some further information if you investigated shamanism.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

00Pepper
05-22-2014, 01:48 AM

OP: In the book, Lives Charmed by Linda Sivertsen, the author interviews a number of celebs about their lives. One of these is Guru Singh, who studied with a Mexican shaman before he (Guru Singh) became a Sikh. During that time, the shaman would bury him underground (with air holes). After this went on for some time, Guru Singh found himself sitting next to the shaman and telling the shaman it was time to dig him up.

I think you might have some further information if you investigated shamanism.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Thank you very much! This is moving to the top of my list!

Karen Junker
05-22-2014, 02:00 AM
To answer your question from personal experience: Nearly 60 years ago, I was trained by my grandmother when I was a child--she claimed to be a witch and I later found out that her sister was a spiritualist. We did all kinds of things like divination and hypnotism and astral projection.

I did do astral projection during sleep -- and could set up scenarios for where I wanted to travel by forming an intention before I went to sleep. We also did ritualized forms of this, including going into the woods and collecting branches which we would use to make a shelter under birch trees (the trees were like a bridge for the prana to travel out of the body). We were very careful to establish an anchor, so that we could easily find our way back.

Later, as an adult, I read some books about the subject, but I didn't try it again until I was in my late 50s, with experienced people in the room, acting as the anchor.

ETA: books about Edgar Cayce.

In my grandmother's teaching, I was told that there was a silver thread that connects your spirit to your body, and that the spirit can travel unlimited distances as long as the thread remains intact. But if the thread is broken, you can die.

I'm going to try to remember the names of some of the books I read and get back to you on that.

CynHolt
05-22-2014, 03:22 AM
ETA: books about Edgar Cayce.

Yes! Excellent source of information. He did most of his work through astral projection.

ULTRAGOTHA
05-22-2014, 06:05 AM
I feel like I've opened a can of worms here and maybe shouldn't have posted at all. I was just looking for a quick answer of whether astral projection could be done intentionally in your sleep or not. I'm looking for a somewhat believable explanation for my MC being in her dreams physically and needed a place to start and an angle to pursue.

If I came here asking for, frex, what information was available on ancient druidic magic practices, I would not expect to be told to just make it up because people don't really know.

So no, I don't think you opened any can of worms. I completely sympathize with your desire to use what is known by believers in astral projection in your story. That seems like a very respectful and avoid-clunking-knowledgeable-readers-out-of-your-story way to approach this. Good for you!

I just wish I had any information to help. :-(

C.bronco
05-22-2014, 06:08 AM
In my YA novel, a character proclaims that everyone does it. So, sure. Just follow the silver chord.

C.bronco
05-22-2014, 06:10 AM
Yes! Excellent source of information. He did most of his work through astral projection.

ditto.

King Neptune
05-22-2014, 04:30 PM

I do thank you all for your responses and based on your responses have already made a long list of different areas to read up on.

Yes, this diid go further than there was any need, but such is life.

If your MC is starting from a dream state, then you could have the MC slip into the dream of someone else as part of the process, if that fits.

Cath
05-22-2014, 05:06 PM
I really don't have any issues with the thread, and I applaud anyone who seeks to understand the information and experiences of others to make their work acceptable to their audience.

CynHolt
05-22-2014, 10:13 PM

As a Religions teacher I love questions, I relish challenges, but best of all is when a student proves me wrong. That's the best, because then I get to be the student. Any questions about religion or spirituality challenge others and their beliefs. It's a subject where people mistake belief for knowledge and we all too often disregard the experiences of others as less valuable than our own.

Religion and politics are probably the most difficult subjects in which to ask questions, because the question itself is bound to upset someone. But none of us will learn without questions. When you ask a question, we all learn something. Be proud of yourself for asking and, please, don't be afraid to ask some more. We could all use the education.