Inspiring stories about dogs wanted, $10 payment

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
deliberatecreating.blogspot.com
My friend, John Cali, is asking for submissions of stories about dogs. He is paying $10, if accepted, for Chicken Soup style stories about "ordinary dogs doing extraordinary things." He is asking for non-exclusive rights so you would be free to use the story in other markets.

The guidelines are detailed, but if you have any questions, be sure to email him. You'll find him a knowledgeable and caring person to work with.

John is an animal lover and is planning a series of books about animals. There is a lot of love in this project.

Here's John's information:

WANTED: DOG TALES.
I'm looking for uplifting, inspiring stories of our canine companions -- powerful, true stories demonstrating the love and loyalty they give us so unconditionally.

Submission guidelines:
http://www.greatwesternpublishing.org/dogs/doguides1.html

Questions? Email me:
John Cali, [email protected]

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
He is, indeed, a very pleasant person. I sent an e-mail asking if he accepts reprints; he does. So if you've got any previously published dog stories that might work for him AND you own the reprint rights to them, you might want to check this out.

Note: I wouldn't recommend giving up first rights for this rate (unless you don't mind), which is why I'm stressing the reprint issue.

Thanks for posting this, ProsperitySue. I hope he has a lot of success with his book. :)

ETA: In case what I said earlier might be confusing to new writers, here's a further explanation: Although this market is buying non-exclusive rights and you can sell any accepted work to other markets, you wouldn't be able to sell first rights to a market that requires previously unpublished work. Hence my mention of reprints. I hope this helps!

Last edited:

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your enthusiasm and support, Joanne and Anne. As an animal lover myself, I'm glad to see John's project. I know it will add to the consciousness of how wonderful our animal friends are. I'm not sure why, but although I have always appreciated animals, I didn't think I had the knowledge to write about them. John's enthusiasm and the posts and threads in this forum are inspiring me!

Have fun with it!

BlueBadger

Knows notebooks can kill.
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like fun! I've always had this secret, almost-guilty desire to have a Chicken Soup-esque story published ... so maybe this is my chance. XD

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I sent my story to John Cali, Suzanne. Hope he likes it and I'll keep my fingers crossed. Much good luck everyone.

ProsperitySue

All is well @>----
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I posted information about this opportunity in another thread and just wanted to post Anne Watkins update that John is still looking for new submission:

awatkins said:
Thanks for the reminder, Sue! I got an e-mail from John a few weeks ago saying that he was looking for more stories; I meant to post that here but got so covered up with work that I totally forgot. So by all means, if anyone is interested, visit John's site (Sue thoughtfully provided the addy), study the guidelines, and send something his way. He's a great person to work with. :)