PDA

View Full Version : Custom email address for queries

tomz563
05-17-2014, 11:17 PM
I was wondering if when sending out queries, it is beneficial to use a custom email address (i.e. lovemybook@needanagent.com) rather than a standard name@gmail.com?

I have a website but have yet to set up an email address with it (I'm a bit challenged with technology). Though if agents take queries coming from a custom email more seriously than those without, I'll definitely work on figuring it out.

Has anyone queried both ways and noticed any differences?

Thanks!
Tomm

Old Hack
05-17-2014, 11:58 PM
If your email address is something like littlefluffybunnies@mysite.com then no agent is going to take you seriously, unless you're querying a book about little fluffy bunnies.

Otherwise, this isn't something to worry about. Have a professional-sounding email address, and you'll be fine.

DanielaTorre
05-18-2014, 12:09 AM
Use your name as the email. For example: danielatorre@gmail.com. Just as you would on a resume.

No one will take you seriously if you use 4sh33zeyMcSl3azy420@aol.com. And using a custom email such as TheDavinciCode@crackthecode.com is unnecessary because (I'm assuming) you'd have to pay for the domain and I don't think it's worth the money.

You want them to associate your name to your email. It makes it easier for agents to remember you.

tomz563
05-18-2014, 12:14 AM
Use your name as the email. For example: danielatorre@gmail.com. Just as you would on a resume.

No one will take you seriously if you use 4sh33zeyMcSl3azy420@aol.com. And using a custom email such as TheDavinciCode@crackthecode.com is unnecessary because (I'm assuming) you'd have to pay for the domain and I don't think it's worth the money.

You want them to associate your name to your email. It makes it easier for agents to remember you.

Ahh remember the days of AOL... I do already have the domain so it would be either tommzorn@gmail.com or tomm@tommzorn.com... Though I have to say I like the gmail version better because the other option seems a little self indulgent.

Jamesaritchie
05-18-2014, 12:50 AM
I just use my name. I do think it's smart to avoid things like Yahoo and Hotmail, but whatever you use as a client, just use your name for the e-mail itself. No confusion, instant recognition, etc.