Custom email address for queries

tomz563

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering if when sending out queries, it is beneficial to use a custom email address (i.e. [email protected]) rather than a standard [email protected]?

I have a website but have yet to set up an email address with it (I'm a bit challenged with technology). Though if agents take queries coming from a custom email more seriously than those without, I'll definitely work on figuring it out.

Has anyone queried both ways and noticed any differences?

Thanks!
Tomm

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If your email address is something like [email protected] then no agent is going to take you seriously, unless you're querying a book about little fluffy bunnies.

Otherwise, this isn't something to worry about. Have a professional-sounding email address, and you'll be fine.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Use your name as the email. For example: [email protected]. Just as you would on a resume.

No one will take you seriously if you use [email protected]. And using a custom email such as [email protected] is unnecessary because (I'm assuming) you'd have to pay for the domain and I don't think it's worth the money.

You want them to associate your name to your email. It makes it easier for agents to remember you.

tomz563

Registered
Reaction score
Use your name as the email. For example: [email protected]. Just as you would on a resume.

No one will take you seriously if you use [email protected]. And using a custom email such as [email protected] is unnecessary because (I'm assuming) you'd have to pay for the domain and I don't think it's worth the money.

You want them to associate your name to your email. It makes it easier for agents to remember you.

Ahh remember the days of AOL... I do already have the domain so it would be either [email protected] or [email protected]... Though I have to say I like the gmail version better because the other option seems a little self indulgent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I just use my name. I do think it's smart to avoid things like Yahoo and Hotmail, but whatever you use as a client, just use your name for the e-mail itself. No confusion, instant recognition, etc.