irish v american

jerrimander

No one takes me seriously. Really.
Registered
Reaction score
hey all,
I'm currently writing a chick lit story where the hero of the story is a Northern Irishman (not Belfast, someplace smaller, haven't decided) recently moved to New York city. I'm hoping to get a some cultural references to flavor his character, and I'm worried I'm going more British, than Irish. Things like, what do the Irish call Americans (Yanks?), apartments (flats?), elevators (lifts?), daycare, jobs, cars, etc. We speak the same language, but there are minor details which I think would give this guy some dimension.
It's differences we don't think of until we are confronted with them.
Appreciate any help!
Thanks!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Is he Protestant or Catholic? Believe me, this matters hugely if he comes from Northern Ireland.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
Is he Protestant or Catholic? Believe me, this matters hugely if he comes from Northern Ireland.

Catholic, marries a protestant from Belfast. I'm still up in the air about whether he's from Northern Ireland or someplace near Northern Ireland like Donegal or Monaghan. In my head, I've cast Chris O'Dowd as the guy. O'Dowd is from Roscommon.

Last edited:

emilycross

is away with the fairies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
hey all,
I'm currently writing a chick lit story where the hero of the story is a Northern Irishman (not Belfast, someplace smaller, haven't decided) recently moved to New York city. I'm hoping to get a some cultural references to flavor his character, and I'm worried I'm going more British, than Irish. Things like, what do the Irish call Americans (Yanks?), apartments (flats?), elevators (lifts?), daycare, jobs, cars, etc. We speak the same language, but there are minor details which I think would give this guy some dimension.
It's differences we don't think of until we are confronted with them.
Appreciate any help!
Thanks!

Well I'm from the South of Ireland (Leinster) but I can help out if you want to pm me :)

Generally we could call Americans, yanks (especially when we're giving out or joking), apartments are apartments not flat (that's me anyhoo), Lifts are elevators, footpath instead of sidewalk, montesorri/creche for daycare, cars are cars, torch = flashlight, apart from the slang that's typically Irish (like Grand = fine or craic) we've somewhat similar language/terms to British.

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
First stop, read about Hiberno-English. It's the dialect that is spoken across the island, although Ulster English has some very unique phrases in itself. I'm not from Northern Ireland (I'm from Galway in the West but to a Northerner I'm in the South, not the south - The South.:tongue but in general the following advice will be fairly universal.

Vocabulary

As you might expect, we use many British expressions rather than the American ones, but we don't think of them as being exclusively British, they're just as Irish to us as our unique expressions.

Americans are Yanks (all of you, not just New Yorkers!!) and we're Paddies. Like most things Irish, it's informal.

Apartment or Flat - Both! In a smaller rural area, Flat will be far more common. Apartment is more formal and used while searching for somewhere to live. Informally you may live in a Flat, Digs or Gaff. (Gaff is common in Galway not sure about NI).

Lift is the standard term. Daycare is Childcare and the Childcare centre is a Creche (French term), Jobs are still Jobs and cars are still cars.

We say fridge, (never refrigerator)
A press is both cupboard and closet
A pair of trousers is a pair of pants. Pants is increasingly used.
Brilliant instead of Awesome.
A rubber is an eraser not a condom!!
Men do not have fannies! Only women do and it's a very rude term here!
Arse not ass. Ass is a type of mule/donkey.
Runners instead of sneaker/trainers.
Fag is a ciggarette, not a homophobic slur.
Yoke instead of thingamabob

This is a useful site (our version of urban dictionary) but it seem to lean towards Southern Slang and not Northern. However, at the bottom of the page, you can choose which regions slang you wish to view.

http://www.slang.ie/mostcommon.php

And finally, we speak very informally most of the time. It was quite startling to me when I went to the US, and everyone kept calling me 'Sir'. It was unusual and feels a little uptight. I'm sure I offended people by not referring to them as 'sir'. You almost always refer to your boss by his first name here, even if you just met for the first time but not clients unless they ask you to. But we still don't use Sir or M'am for clients. Too formal/awkward.

Grammar.

Forget about using the Past Perfect in speech. We don't properly use it at all. Instead of saying;

I have done X.............or.........I have finished Y

We say;

I'm after doing X.........or.........I'm after finishing Y

The plural form of 'you' is 'ye'.

Go to youtube, and search for some video bloggers from Northern Ireland. It's the best way to understand how people talk and use these words/phrases.;)

Last edited:

mrabsolutefan

Registered
Reaction score
First stop, read about Hiberno-English. It's the dialect that is spoken across the island, although Ulster English has some very unique phrases in itself. I'm not from Northern Ireland (I'm from Galway in the West but to a Northerner I'm in the South, not the south - The South.:tongue but in general the following advice will be fairly universal.

Vocabulary

As you might expect, we use many British expressions rather than the American ones, but we don't think of them as being exclusively British, they're just as Irish to us as our unique expressions.

Americans are Yanks (all of you, not just New Yorkers!!) and we're Paddies. Like most things Irish, it's informal.

Apartment or Flat - Both! In a smaller rural area, Flat will be far more common. Apartment is more formal and used while searching for somewhere to live. Informally you may live in a Flat, Digs or Gaff. (Gaff is common in Galway not sure about NI).

Lift is the standard term. Daycare is Childcare and the Childcare centre is a Creche (French term), Jobs are still Jobs and cars are still cars.

We say fridge, (never refrigerator)
A press is both cupboard and closet
A pair of trousers is a pair of pants. Pants is increasingly used.
Brilliant instead of Awesome.
A rubber is an eraser not a condom!!
Men do not have fannies! Only women do and it's a very rude term here!
Arse not ass. Ass is a type of mule/donkey.
Runners instead of sneaker/trainers.
Fag is a ciggarette, not a homophobic slur.
Yoke instead of thingamabob

This is a useful site (our version of urban dictionary) but it seem to lean towards Southern Slang and not Northern. However, at the bottom of the page, you can choose which regions slang you wish to view.

http://www.slang.ie/mostcommon.php

And finally, we speak very informally most of the time. It was quite startling to me when I went to the US, and everyone kept calling me 'Sir'. It was unusual and feels a little uptight. I'm sure I offended people by not referring to them as 'sir'. You almost always refer to your boss by his first name here, even if you just met for the first time but not clients unless they ask you to. But we still don't use Sir or M'am for clients. Too formal/awkward.

Grammar.

Forget about using the Past Perfect in speech. We don't properly use it at all. Instead of saying;

I have done X I have finished Y

We say;

I'm after doing X I'm after finishing Y

The plural form of 'you' is 'ye'.

Go to youtube, and search for some video bloggers from Northern Ireland. It's the best way to understand how people talk and use these words/phrases.;)

Wait, I thought "fanny" means "ass" not 'P*ssy". :tongue

Nice list though. Would be helpful as I am also a non-Yankee. :D

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
that slang site says "muppet" = fool.
were you confused when AW asked you for your favorite muppet in the profile?

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
I'm from the wild North and I write a lot of stuff using Norn Irish characters (there's your first slang;)) in their venacular. :) if I can help PM. I'm happy to read a short excerpt or, if it helps, send you a short extract in the venacular. :)

A few things - we swear. A lot. Often very inventively. It's practically a national pastime.
We talk very fast and no one from outside Ireland or Scotland can follow a word we say.
Dialects vary widely. A person from the country is called a 'culchie' and has a soft accent, someone from Belfast much, much harsher. Derry people trip over themselves with friendliness and are a little softer than Belfast. Most people, irrespective of religion, call Londonderry Derry (or Stroke City, or the Maiden City. Saves offense.)

We say, 'you know what I mean' (or, 'Ye know?') a fair but, and we really do say wee all the time and call people eejits. A country type will say 'hey!' At the start of sentences often. 'Sit at peace' is another widespread idiom. And ''bout ye!' Is a common greeting.

And we always, always know the religion of the other NI person we meet. Very quickly. In little ways like names, where they live, went to school, how they pronounce the letter H.... Lots of ways. ;)

A few from above - we do use trainers and not runners. (Might be a North/south one that one.) yoke is definitely a southern term and wouldn't be used widely around Belfast (it would class someone as southern)

Last edited:

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
that slang site says "muppet" = fool.
were you confused when AW asked you for your favorite muppet in the profile?

Haha! no, I watched the muppets as a kid. US tv is widespread here. I'm not sure if that's how the term became popular here or if it predates the show. Everyone in Ireland is familiar with the Muppets.;)

A few things - we swear. A lot. Often very inventively. It's practically a national pastime.

To add to this, the more offensive (and creative) insults are best reserved for your closest friends, and can be a sign of endearment among lads (guys). Thick skin required.:D

Most people, irrespective of religion, call Londonderry Derry (or Stroke City, or the Maiden City. Saves offense.)

This is new to me! I haven't been to Derry but I was always worried that I'd offend someone in NI no matter what way I say it as I wouldn't necessarily know what background they're from. Can you imagine how a Nationalist would react to a Southerner saying Londonderry!!:ROFL:

A few from above - we do use trainers and not runners. (Might be a North/south one that one.) yoke is definitely a southern term and wouldn't be used widely around Belfast (it would class someone as southern)

Ah, okay. Always good to get a locals knowledge. Is there a Northern equivalent of yoke?? Would Thingamajig be used?

Wait, I thought "fanny" means "ass" not 'P*ssy". :tongue

Nice list though. Would be helpful as I am also a non-Yankee. :D

In North America, "fanny" means "ass". In UK & Ireland it means "pussy" although it's a less sexual term. I don't know where Australians, South Africans or New Zealanders stand on the issue.

Last edited:

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Thingamagig would be used but not extensively. I'm not sure we have an equivalent to the Irish yoke. (But, as Waylander says, perhaps the alternative religion to mine uses it. It's a miracle we manage to communicate at all....:D)

Edit - a what'd'ya'ma'call'it/him/her might be the closest I can think of. Or 'thingy'.

There still are some people who only refer to Derry as Londonderry, but it's less common now.

Last edited:

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
If the guy is from monaghan instead of Belfast would he say trainers or runners? I actually have him refer to someone's shoes as runners, and it didn't sound right in my head. And he was saying childcare (instead of daycare as I call it) in my head long before I posted this thread, so I'm thinking that voice may know something. He was calling it Derry, too! When I was reading Londonderry!

My voices are really creepy sometimes.

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
What sports does he follow? If he's Catholic and from a border county then he's probably been brought up on GAA - Hurling and Gaelic Football.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
I've been debating on his going to uni either in Dublin, or possibly London uk. either could drastically affect his speech and preferences. I'm guessing.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
What sports does he follow? If he's Catholic and from a border county then he's probably been brought up on GAA - Hurling and Gaelic Football.

I dunno. is it important?

(HA! just kidding! I crack myself up sometimes.)

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just as a side note, do be careful when depicting your MC's accent. I read a historical romance that featured a Scottish hero, only he sounded Irish! Everything he said, the phrases he used, it was all Irish, not Scottish. Got very confusing when the author kept insisting he was from Scotland. Of course, the same book also had a Victorian lady wearing panties, so what did I expect? Accuracy? Pffft! What's that?

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
I won't be writing his dialect. already tried that with another mc. drove me batty. between references to his nationality, and a few key word choices (like mum and da, and a Janey Mac!, and a liberal use of the f bomb) I hope to make it clear who he is and where he's from.

and man, that Victorian panty thing would have ticked me off.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the guy is from monaghan instead of Belfast would he say trainers or runners? I actually have him refer to someone's shoes as runners, and it didn't sound right in my head. And he was saying childcare (instead of daycare as I call it) in my head long before I posted this thread, so I'm thinking that voice may know something. He was calling it Derry, too! When I was reading Londonderry!

My voices are really creepy sometimes.

Northern Irish here, and we say gutties or trainers. (No idea where the word gutties comes from, but it's used a lot.:D)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I've been debating on his going to uni either in Dublin, or possibly London uk. either could drastically affect his speech and preferences. I'm guessing.

I doubt coming to Uni in the UK would affect his speech much. If you really want him to lose his accent have go to boarding school in England.

jerrimander

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt coming to Uni in the UK would affect his speech much. If you really want him to lose his accent have go to boarding school in England.

not like a drastic overhaul to the speech. more of an expansion.
is there still a great antipathy towards the English by the Irish? the ponce bastards.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not generally, maybe among some ex-military who served in NI.
We've had so many more migrants arrive since the big Irish influx that other ethnic groupings take the antipathy.