PDA

View Full Version : Routines?

Coreyt0304
05-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Hey everyone, I'm just curious if you have any routines you do before sitting down to write. For example I have to be sitting at a table with something to drink (water usually) have my wifi off, and start off listening to soft music to help clear my mind. Anyone else have routines weird or otherwise that they do before or as they sit down to write?

jeffo
05-15-2014, 07:27 PM
I walk around the table three times (never four), then squat down. I drink 1 shot of blue caraco from a shot glass on the floor, then waddle like a duck out the front door. I jump up in the air twice, touching a branch on the tree to the right of the front door. Then a drop to the ground again and crawl back in the front door. I sip part of a shot of Coca-Cola from another shot glass under the table. Then I walk backwards around the table three times (never four) and then I sit down at the computer to write...

Okay, so I don't really do all that, but it sounded more interesting than what I do -- which is nothing at all, actually. :) I just write when and where I can.

Coreyt0304
05-15-2014, 08:27 PM
lol I WISH i could do that. For some reason as of late, its like I have OCD or ADD or ADHD Or something because I go to write, and next thing I know I'm on facebook, or am up wandering around the house, or go outside and chase a squirrel (ok maybe not that last one) but I just cant getin the zone. I want to write, I know where to take the story but I open up the document but then mutter "This sucks"and go and do other stuff. So wifi HAS to be off, and I need to get "in the zone" in order to write. I find when I set a routine it works...50% of the time.

jeffo
05-15-2014, 09:17 PM
A routine might help me, actually. I do tend to

OH LOOK, ANOTHER SQUIRREL!

cray
05-15-2014, 09:26 PM
my routine is really quite simple....
first i log onto aw for 3-6months straight.
then i complete a full ironman race.
then i write a few paragraphs.
then i take a break.
repeat

iLion
05-16-2014, 07:26 PM
This is a fun one Coryt. I read a short book years ago on that very thing. Writers (some famous, some not so much) were interviewed and that was the only question. :D

One carefully sharpened a fist full of pencils, then laid them all in a neat row exactly so.. and only then could write. Another had to be barefoot with the window open. Someone very famous, whose name I don't recall, only wrote in the buff. :)

As for me, I like it best when I am in a total panic to write. You know... when you get an idea or a phrase that knocks you over and you have to get it down and explore it more and see how you might use it? You sit with that excitement and ideas wash over you and cascade out so fast you can't keep up.

That's not a routine, of course.

readmikenow
05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
I start each morning with a cup of coffee and starting the computer. When I struggle to write something for myself and not designated for work, I bring up bios of my favorite authors. I like to read about the lives of John Steinbeck, J.R.R Tolkein, C.S. Lewis, Ernest Hemingway, Ayn Rand, etc. I will never achieve in writing what they accomplished. I am still inspired by their stories. If I achieve a fraction of what they did...I'll consider myself a success.

KellyAssauer
05-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Someone very famous, whose name I don't recall, only wrote in the buff. :)

Some of them do that here too...

:scared:

iLion
05-17-2014, 12:48 AM
I know "they" do. :D

arcan
05-17-2014, 11:52 AM
My only routine is to wake up in the morning... that's hard enough...
More seriously, I don't have routine, but I have to be well seated. I can't much write on a couch for instance.

natpenna
05-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I like to make sure I have some water to keep myself hydrated, decent back support for wherever I'm sitting, and I tend to turn off the wifi. I have my phone so if I need to research anything I'm not totally cut off, but it removes the urge to check tumblr every few minutes.
I also re-read the last couple of pages of my current project so I keep my tone and narrative consistent.

moniquehodge
05-18-2014, 07:09 PM
I usually do a few things leading up to my writing session during the day so I am mentally in the zone:

Read a critical article
Talk about writing (what I'm doing now)
Read
Write
Study Grammar
Write article (or book review)

I don't have hard and fast rules about how long I work on each part of my routine, but I like to put a little time in each everyday.

Vito
05-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Every morning, right after I wake up, I go pee-pee in the bathroom. It would be extremely difficult for me to write -- or do anything else, for that matter -- without performing this essential part of my routine. :Thumbs:

Mr Flibble
05-19-2014, 01:24 AM
Sit
Write

I do not have the luxury of a routine at the mo, so that's it.

And Cray, is that you in your avvie?

cray
05-19-2014, 04:01 PM
Sit
Write

I do not have the luxury of a routine at the mo, so that's it.

And Cray, is that you in your avvie?

negative.